My dog is at the Vet$ overnight

boater

1 hour ago, Augie said:

We get Pill Pockets at the pet store. She LOVES them, and they’re very easy to use. I’m not sure if they are expensive, but it sure makes it easy! You can get several pills into each pocket. 

Hope all is going as well as possible. 

Our dog figured out the pill pockets after awhile and ate the pocket and spit the pill out lol. Smart dog , somehow he knew we were putting him down too, that was sad to watch.

• Sad 2

23 minutes ago, Augie said:

We do have certain treats on our approved list. We knew some folks who would take leftovers home in a doggie bag....and it really was for the dog! They would cook it up in the morning with eggs, and whatever else the people happened to be eating. They thought they were showing the dog love, but they were actually slowly killing the fattest Golden Retreiver I’ve ever seen.  Rusty died young and they grieved as we all do. I don’t think they ever got the connection. Dogs are only fat if you make them that way. 

Our neighbor swears by the all natural route...no skeeter/ticks/flea meds etc.Their GR passed at 9 and Molly was heavy at the end.She was fed human foods(chicken/vegetables) but no beef or pork.Just like humans,we all have different systems.I would kill for a few slices of pizza with hot peppers,anchovies and some hot wings...but I would suffer,really suffer.My great,long time bud in life could knock out half a pizza and a pile of wings without even burping.

1 hour ago, Misterbluesky said:

boater needs to clear that with the vet..milk bones are not good for pups,especially ones that are ill. Maybe some fresh boiled chicken breast would be better for Lilly? 

The vet actually used pill pockets, I don't know which brand. They offered to sell me some.

PS: @plenzmd1 She is doing very well. For a girl who almost died last Tuesday, her turn around has been amazing. I don't take her recovery for granted, I know it's a blessing. Many pets don't get over lepto.

Edited by boater
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Dogs man.....such awesome companions,  yet so much of a commitment with so many highs and lows. Our new guy has been with us a week today and now we got a case of round worms. I guess they are common in puppies,  but it's still disgusting and sucks nonetheless. Vet appointment tomorrow. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Dogs man.....such awesome companions,  yet so much of a commitment with so many highs and lows. Our new guy has been with us a week today and now we got a case of round worms. I guess they are common in puppies,  but it's still disgusting and sucks nonetheless. Vet appointment tomorrow. 

Congratulations on your new guy.  Pictures?

Yep.. highs and lows, though mostly highs.

Ugh.. glad you have a vet appointment, roundworms can get complicated.

1 hour ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

What kind did you get?

3 hours ago, Augie said:

When it comes to my dog, I’ll clear everything in question with the vet! I don’t know about Milk Bones, but the vet has suggested pill pockets to us in the past. They are specifically designed for this use and well established, but each case might be different. I’d feel safer (and cleaner) doing that than other home made vehicles like peanut butter, or boiled chicken. For her benefit, we give her nothing but her one brand of dog food. No table scraps or variations. Even changing a dog’s food can have a bad reaction and cause your carpets to become......your former carpet. I learned this the hard way! 

People often don’t realize things like an Advil, chocolate and certain plants (even common house plants) can really harm a dog. 

Some peanut butter contains xylitol, which is very toxic in dogs.  Most of the largest brands are safe, I think...but check the label.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Augie said:

When it comes to my dog, I’ll clear everything in question with the vet! I don’t know about Milk Bones, but the vet has suggested pill pockets to us in the past. They are specifically designed for this use and well established, but each case might be different. I’d feel safer (and cleaner) doing that than other home made vehicles like peanut butter, or boiled chicken. For her benefit, we give her nothing but her one brand of dog food. No table scraps or variations. Even changing a dog’s food can have a bad reaction and cause your carpets to become......your former carpet. I learned this the hard way! 

People often don’t realize things like an Advil, chocolate and certain plants (even common house plants) can really harm a dog. 

My wife makes the dogs food once or twice a week. A roasted chicken mixed with oatmeal and brown rice, then a blender with some veggies, apple, kelp powder mixed in. No salty fatty foods like bacon or cold cuts, no sugar or white flour products. Left him at the mother in laws house for Xmas about 6 years ago and she almost killed him. Fed him salty split pea and ham soup, white bread and gave him a ham bone. His colon became obstructed and completely impacted. A lousy local vet had him for two days then told us he was gonna die. Luckily Oregon St Univ saved his life. He was 1 when we adopted him and will be 14 in June.

On 3/30/2019 at 5:45 PM, boater said:

...and when they are retired racers, like Lilly, there is something especially soulful about them I can't put my finger on.

Professional athletes.. see what they do to us ;)

Happy to hear she is doing better, that's awesome! My friend had a rescued racing greyhound, very sweet and soulful dog.