Dolphins tried to trade for Matt Stafford before last season

"...Gase would have offered at minimum Miami’s 2018 first-round pick and probably more."

AND Detroit gets to be quarterback-less while being stuck in cap jail.

Friends with Gase or not if I were Matt I would have been belly laughing as I was hanging up the phone.

EDIT:  I don't love Stafford as much as some do around here, but he is still the QB you build your team around for the next 5 years if you are Detroit.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

Miami: “happy to take Stafford off of your hands, thoughts ?”

Detriot: “can you hold while we discuss” 

hysterical sustained laughter about trading plus abysmal cap situation

Detroit: “hey we’re back. Deal, we’ll take a first rounder for each time you’ve tried and failed to replace Marino over he past 18 years....lololol...   yes we absolutely are counting Chad Henne”.... “click” 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Wo-Bah said:

I would hate to play against Matthew Stafford twice a year.  I like him.  I think he's underrated, personally.

Underrated?

He's had his team in 3 playoff games (all WC losses).  He hasn't run a top 10 offense in the past 4 years.

He had one monster year--over 5000 yards and 41 TDs.  He followed that up with essentially another 5000 yards.....but only 20 TDs and 17 INTs.  He's thrown for over 30 TDs only twice in his career (that's with Megatron).

When healthy, Tannehill was putting up current Stafford numbers. 

Some "blockbuster" that would have been.  Fins are better off with Fitzy.

Edited by Mr. WEO

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

While I hear you, the saints have been good at building a team around him too. I’ve not seeen any evidence that’s something Miami would have done as well

Getting the QB is the hardest part.  He was right there for the taking.

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Nothing against Stafford, but he’s never beaten the Bills so I would play him every week if I could! Ok we’ve only played him twice but still 

Exactly, he blows. I think the Dolphins should still try to make the trade, throw in a couple #1’s please.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Detroit: “hey we’re back. Deal, we’ll take a first rounder for each time you’ve tried and failed to replace Marino over he past 18 years....lololol...   yes we absolutely are counting Chad Henne”.... “click” 

lol

15 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He is Tannehill with a much stronger arm or a more likable Jay Cutler.  

I think he is much better than Tannehill. Tannehill properly sucks. I cannot for the life of me work out why a team has stuck with him for 8 or 9 years or whatever the Dolphins have given him.

Cutler I do see the comparison in that like Cutler, Stafford has a huge talent. He is just anti-clutch. Then again I don't think the Lions have been a very well put together team at almost any point of his tenure there.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

You neglected to post the scene in the Dolphin War Room after the call ended:

Miami exec. #1:  “Sorry, Coach Gase, it’s ‘no’.”

Gase:  “YARRRGGGHHHH!

Miami exec. #2:  “Look out!  Either his head will fall off, or his eyes will pop out of his head!”

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

You neglected to post the scene in the Dolphin War Room after the call ended:

Miami exec. #1:  “Sorry, Coach Gase, it’s ‘no’.”

Gase:  “YARRRGGGHHHH!

Miami exec. #2:  “Look out!  Either his head will fall off, or his eyes will pop out of his head!”

And not too long after this:

"Hey Peyton Manning, it's me Adam..."

• Haha (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Doc said:

LOL!  I can just imagine the Dols working-out this elaborate trade proposal for days to weeks for Stafford, only to call up the Lions and hear them say "we can't trade him because of the cap hit" click.

And Stafford is a QB who racks up a ton of yards but they never get the team anywhere.

Agree on both points.  Seems like it would be about a 10 second call with 8 seconds being hi and goodbye.  Shows how poorly run the fins are if they thought Detroit would take such a large hit.

Stafford is a QB who puts up good numbers and has a good share of comebacks but can not carry a team by himself.  If the Lions can build around him, then it may work.  But he will not carry/will them to playoff success.

Edited by Just Joshin'

22 hours ago, Wo-Bah said:

I would hate to play against Matthew Stafford twice a year.  I like him.  I think he's underrated, personally.

I totally agree.  The dude is putting up HOF numbers year in and year out.  I think he's top 5 in the league right now.  I actually feel bad for him. 

10 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I totally agree.  The dude is putting up HOF numbers year in and year out.  I think he's top 5 in the league right now.  I actually feel bad for him. 

He is really not a great QB. Im not sure why people think he is. His yardage numbers are wild but how can you be a great QB, have what some consider the best WR of all time for a majority if your career and consistently be on mediocre teams.

Anyone who thinks Stafford is a good QB, I challenge you to make him your sole starter in fantasy. When you follow him week to week he is infuriating. All the arm talent in the world. but thats about it. I would have loved if the Phins traded for him.

3 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

Agree on both points.  Seems like it would be about a 10 second call with 8 seconds being hi and goodbye.  Shows how poorly run the fins are if they thought Detroit would take such a large hit.

Stafford is a QB who puts up good numbers and has a good share of comebacks but can not carry a team by himself.  If the Lions can build around him, then it may work.  But he will not carry/will them to playoff success.

Yeah, it could be more a factor of the Lions' ineptitude so I'd rather not see him on the Dols.