Dolphins tried to trade for Matt Stafford before last season

1 hour ago, Wo-Bah said:

I would hate to play against Matthew Stafford twice a year.  I like him.  I think he's underrated, personally.

Nothing against Stafford, but he’s never beaten the Bills so I would play him every week if I could! Ok we’ve only played him twice but still 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The Lions would have owed either $46.5 million or $53 million in dead money on their cap for Stafford, so I don’t think this got very far.

Had the Fins made a rational offer to consume the majority of the cap, Detroit might have thought about it.  

Tannehill wasn't a rock star (and he didn't totally suck) but I too believe the (also) the non-rock star Stafford to be good and better than RT. 

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Nothing against Stafford, but he’s never beaten the Bills so I would play him every week if I could! Ok we’ve only played him twice but still 

:lol:  interesting take Yolo.... 

I'd have taken Stafford over Orton and Tyrod any day of the week 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

LOL!  I can just imagine the Dols working-out this elaborate trade proposal for days to weeks for Stafford, only to call up the Lions and hear them say "we can't trade him because of the cap hit" click.

And Stafford is a QB who racks up a ton of yards but they never get the team anywhere.

6 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He is Tannehill with a much stronger arm or a more likable Jay Cutler.  

Pretty much.

He just doesn't raise the level of the team.

I wouldn't be surprised if a light came on as he reached his mid-30's but when you have that much talent and you still have a losing record as a QB after 10 years you probably aren't a franchise altering player.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I don't think that Stafford has ever been the real problem in Detroit.   Like the Bills, the Lions' FO can't seem to "put it all together" very often.   Stafford is significantly better than either Tannehill or Cutler, just not nearly as good as Luck or Brady.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

LOL!  I can just imagine the Dols working-out this elaborate trade proposal for days to weeks for Stafford, only to call up the Lions and hear them say "we can't trade him because of the cap hit" click.

And Stafford is a QB who racks up a ton of yards but they never get the team anywhere.

In fairness, he never has a good running game.  But I agree. MS has a cannon and great attitude but I always watch him and leave underwhelmed.

this would have been awesome for us if the Fins did this. 

13 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

To me he is the definition of an average franchise QB. Given the spectrum of where a franchise QB can land from good to bad he is that mid point. He certainly can put up numbers, his body is prototypical for what'd you want, and with a well round org you can probably win some playoff games. But overtime I less and less have viewed him as elite or someone I fear. You can build with him for a decade which you want but you will need a solid foundation around to truly have success. Detroit rarely has given him that and he hasn't shown that ability to carry a team completely solo. Kinda like Drew Bledsoe back in the day just a worst roster and coaching staff.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SoTier said:

I don't think that Stafford has ever been the real problem in Detroit.   Like the Bills, the Lions' FO can't seem to "put it all together" very often.   Stafford is significantly better than either Tannehill or Cutler, just not nearly as good as Luck or Brady.

I agree for the most part.  He also had the best receiver in the nfl and has a terrible record against teams above .500 (team stat but still).

its also interesting that Ebron was a bust in Detroit but became a pro bowler with Luck. 

Just now, corta765 said:

To me he is the definition of an average franchise QB. Given the spectrum of where a franchise QB can land from good to bad he is that mid point. He certainly can put up numbers, his body is prototypical for what'd you want, and with a well round org you can probably win some playoff games. But overtime I less and less have viewed him as elite or someone I fear. You can build with him for a decade which you want but you will need a solid foundation around to truly have success. Detroit rarely has given him that and he hasn't shown that ability to carry a team completely solo. Kinda like Drew Bledsoe back in the day just a worst roster and coaching staff.

Yup.  And while you certainly can do much worse than Stafford, I hope Allen is either a bigger star than Stafford or a bust because you are kinda trapped paying MS that kinda of money. 

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yup.  And while you certainly can do much worse than Stafford, I hope Allen is either a bigger star than Stafford or a bust because you are kinda trapped paying MS that kinda of money. 

Right. Like he has 3 playoff appearances and helped take an 0-16 Lions team back to competitive most years which is a credit to him. But in 2013 and another time or two they could've won the division/made playoffs and instead choked when they were sitting in 1st place. I will defend him in the fact never once has Detroit IMO really spent on D the way the Jags did for years to build a true force. But yea he is that crappy middle ground of being not great but good enough.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

The Lions would have owed either $46.5 million or $53 million in dead money on their cap for Stafford, so I don’t think this got very far.

Had the Fins made a rational offer to consume the majority of the cap, Detroit might have thought about it.  

Tannehill wasn't a rock star (and he didn't totally suck) but I too believe the (also) the non-rock star Stafford to be good and better than RT. 

:lol:  interesting take Yolo.... 

I'd have taken Stafford over Orton and Tyrod any day of the week 

High bar there!

• Haha (+1) 1