Sean McDermott interview at NFL Owner’s Meetings

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Always so professional. I like how he wears a jacket in the annual coach photo.

Saint Doug looks like the slow fat kid in class who's just waiting for lunch break.

2 hours ago, eball said:

Well, it beats this:

That was The Jam back in the day!

33 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Damn straight, Sean!

Oh, and excuse me gentlemen, I have to go buy tickets for my wife to see Kristen Chenoweth, one of her favorites,  playing with the BPO the following weekend.  That's after we go to that place where we throw axes at targets, and then do curling downtown, but before we have fat stacks of steaks at Russell's, one of the top rated restaurants in the country.  While I'm at it I better pick up something pretty for her at Lululemon's at the mall.  Maybe something she can wear while we are at Niagara-on-the-Lake catching a show at the Shaw Festival, or watching Shakespeare in the park at Delaware, or water skiing on Lake Erie or riding Superman at Darien Lake...

...or eating tacos at Mighty.

In your face, NFL player losers.

No Dave and Buster's? ^_^

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Always so professional. I like how he wears a jacket in the annual coach photo.

GMFB was awaiting this photo because McDermott wore the exact same blue green plaid shirt under that blue jacket in his first two NFLHC group photos.:lol:

43 minutes ago, Elite Poster said:

Now let's see if we can win some games!

Been there, done that. 

I actually have a lot of confidence in these guys now.  They'll win games, if not this season, definitely next.   They are absolutely determined and focused on what they are doing.  Their level of determination is through the roof.   They're climbing Mount Everest, and nothing is going to stop them. 

One thing I found very interesting that gives us a sense of how dedicated they are.  You know McDermott was a wrestler.  He loves wrestling.   I guess Penn State has a great wrestling program, and he took a day off to watch Penn State practice to try to figure out how they achieve and maintain excellence.   The guy is absolutely driven to succeed.  

I think the winning starts this season.  It's clear from the McD and Beane interviews that they were pissed off about the offense last season and that they are NOT going to let that happen again.  Every guy on the offense, including the new comers, have already gotten that message.    

My major takeaway watching that interview is expect us to draft a TE in the 1st or 2nd round of the draft.

McDermott talked glowingly about the importance of TE to a young QB unprompted for awhile and you could tell that he has such an unbelievably high level of respect for Gronk as a TE that he even refuses to believe he's retired.

Hockenson or Fant will be on our team in 2019. That's my takeaway.

3 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

My major takeaway watching that interview is expect us to draft a TE in the 1st or 2nd round of the draft.

McDermott talked glowingly about the importance of TE to a young QB unprompted for awhile and you could tell that he has such an unbelievably high level of respect for Gronk as a TE that he even refuses to believe he's retired.

Hockenson or Fant will be on our team in 2019. That's my takeaway.

I personally don’t want to take a TE in the 1st but I definitely agree that they prioritize the position of TE, if you look at Carolina when they were there the passing offense went through Greg Olsen. They didn’t have a #1 WR. I’ve also noticed that McDermott seems to put a lot of effort into stopping the other team’s TE, often successfully. He really zeroes in on that so he must really respect offenses that use the TE. Then you have Daboll as OC, a former TE coach who coached Gronk.  So I could see them taking one with one of the top 2 picks but hoping it’s 2Nd round. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I personally don’t want to take a TE in the 1st but I definitely agree that they prioritize the position of TE, if you look at Carolina when they were there the passing offense went through Greg Olsen. They didn’t have a #1 WR. I’ve also noticed that McDermott seems to put a lot of effort into stopping the other team’s TE, often successfully. He really zeroes in on that so he must really respect offenses that use the TE. Then you have Daboll as OC, a former TE coach who coached Gronk.  So I could see them taking one with one of the top 2 picks but hoping it’s 2Nd round. 

I already said this earlier. I think they would like to go DT, TE. Ed Oliver at #9, then trade back into the first to get Hockenson or Fant if T.J. is gone. I don't think they're going to just wait and see who is there at #40.

Edited by Dr. Who

11 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The Rams and Saints do it without a huge emphasis on the tight end position, so there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Agree that Daboll would love a top flight tight end, but I won't be super upset if we don't find one. You do however, make a good case with Carolina considering our QB has a similar style to Newton. 

Beasley is a nice weapon underneath if the draft doesn't fall our way re; tight ends.

Edited by LSHMEAB

22 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I actually have a lot of confidence in these guys now.  They'll win games, if not this season, definitely next.   They are absolutely determined and focused on what they are doing.  Their level of determination is through the roof.   They're climbing Mount Everest, and nothing is going to stop them. 

One thing I found very interesting that gives us a sense of how dedicated they are.  You know McDermott was a wrestler.  He loves wrestling.   I guess Penn State has a great wrestling program, and he took a day off to watch Penn State practice to try to figure out how they achieve and maintain excellence.   The guy is absolutely driven to succeed.  

I think the winning starts this season.  It's clear from the McD and Beane interviews that they were pissed off about the offense last season and that they are NOT going to let that happen again.  Every guy on the offense, including the new comers, have already gotten that message.    

If it takes you 4 years to build a roster to win, you are most definitely NOT the right people for the job. most player's contracts will not last up to 4 years and it will be a rebuild all over again. 4 years should be enough time to become Super Bowl contenders. I respect your opinion above a lot on this board but I really hate the "next year I promise" attitude. Its 2019 and teams are winning/contending for Super Bowl's two years after a coaching change. Enough with if not next year. No, this year they must win AT LEAST 9 games or its an absolute and utter failure.

I don't understand the "pissed off" about offense part. They neglected that side of the ball both in FA and draft, started the worst QB of all time week 1, and it was pretty damn obvious they were going to be awful. They have to look in the mirror and be pissed off at the two guys that allowed that to happen. We fielded, statistically, one of the worst units of all time in NFL history until they were saved by Josh Allen's heroics.