PA House Invocation

24 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

Although this is being amped up by the outrage machine, I doubt she had any other intent other than to single out the first day in office for the Muslim Rep

An interesting angle is that in PA, there's a case pending to allow non-religious people to give the invocation. 

So, invoking the name of Jesus Christ is an outrage nowadays? Who'da seen that coming?

:rolleyes:

12 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

So, invoking the name of Jesus Christ is an outrage nowadays? Who'da seen that coming?

most of my Evangelical friends don't see the point of invoking His name to end their prayers...

Just now, Joe in Winslow said:

It's more than that if you read the link. It was a totally out-of-the-norm invocation in that it was over the top (as you saw), and coincided with the first Muslim woman taking the house, who had 50 relatives there to support her.  

2 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

It's more than that if you read the link. It was a totally out-of-the-norm invocation in that it was over the top (as you saw), and coincided with the first Muslim woman taking the house, who had 50 relatives there to support her.  

I found less than nothing offensive with that invocation. I also read the link, and am less than shocked that democratic party leadership would have a problem with it.

7 minutes ago, row_33 said:

most of my Evangelical friends don't see the point of invoking His name to end their prayers...

I'd recommend they have a gander at 1 Timothy 2:5.

33 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I found less than nothing offensive with that invocation. I also read the link, and am less than shocked that democratic party leadership would have a problem with it.

Out of place in that setting for sure, certainly not inclusive in any way, but I'd just shrug her off and get on with it. The goal of the invocation in PA is to set a theme of unity and she failed. I'd just judge to that level and note to others not to follow her lead in the future and save that sort of sermonizing for church where it belongs. But it's now caught fire for a couple days. 

I'll bet it's playing well to her base though. 

47 minutes ago, row_33 said:

they don't care at all Joe.....

It's his (and maybe your) religion. I am fine with him having it, and I know about it from an academic perspective so from that standpoint, I care. 

But care as in "believe," no, I don't believe that Jesus is the son of god who came to earth to mediate between god and man. But I'm fine that he believes it.