"Hey, which way is north?"

7 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

The Earth's poles are shifting and it is starting to show.

6 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

kinda like when you're standing at a urinal and realize that your underwear shifted around and the d*ckhole is off to the side.

• Haha (+1) 1

I'm actually quite surprised that something like this doesn't happen more often.  And to the person that asked don't they say "welcome to flight _________ heading to ________"?  I fly several times a year and yes they do say that.  Maybe they said it in English and everyone on the plane spoke German??  The chance of that is slim and none so they may just have not mentioned it.  

On 3/26/2019 at 2:06 PM, sherpa said:

Their schedule told them.

They have a schedule and they do not change that without notification. It involves a number of things, hotel/transportation changes etc., so if there is a change to your schedule, you know it.

I'm not familiar with London City airport, so it may be that the crew boards from the ramp, or there are no terminal ..destination signs, and I have never looked at baggage tags. 

Still, I am very familiar with flight management system uploads and how flights are managed from the flight deck.

You don't get the plan up-link until you type in the destination ICAO identiier.

Not possible they typed in the identifier for Edinburgh instead of Dusseldorf, as it would cause a host of other issues.

Point is they were expecting to fly to Edinburgh, had a flight plan for Edinburgh, loaded the flight management system for Edinburgh and flew to Edinburgh.

Not possible to stare at a screen that displays your route and not notice it is going northwest instead of east, and a hundred other things that would have tipped them off.

In short, not their issue.

You don't even need that much knowledge to see this.  With all the controlled air space they'd be flying through, how in the hell could it be the pilots that screwed up?  Regional ATC centers would have had to have that flight plan on file.  

On 3/31/2019 at 11:53 AM, DC Tom said:

You don't even need that much knowledge to see this.  With all the controlled air space they'd be flying through, how in the hell could it be the pilots that screwed up?  Regional ATC centers would have had to have that flight plan on file.  

CNN would have been in ‘rogue airplane coverage’ hysteria mode before they even attempted to land.