Mcdermott's thoughts on Bills aging backfield.

#34fan

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Line is better, but that wasn't too hard given the state of it last season. How much better is the question. 

And the WRs are still eh. If this is the group they are going with, A LOT counts in if Foster can continue to do what he did.

TaskersGhost suggests McD and Beane "don't understand offense very well."  That's an ignorant statement but I was trying to be nice.  Of course the players need to play.

Age is just a number yadda, yadda, yadda in the middle of the draft they pick a running back.  Both are short term options.  Each should be productive if you watch their touches and limit their training camp and preseason use.  They need better option to carry the load.  I would be shocked if they dont come away from the draft with a Rb and I expect them to bring in possibly 2 undrafted guys aswell.

5 hours ago, TaskersGhost said:

Just one more sign that maybe McD/McBeane don't understand offense very well.

Shady's & Gore's past performances are irrelevant going into this season.  I'd be highly concerned if I were him about relying on a 31-year old RB that saw a significant diminishment in play last season coupled with a 36-year old RB being used to spell him.

I don't see that working out the way that McD apparently sees it working out.

You can say this IF they do not draft a young guy OR they do not bring one in after cuts in preseason. 

The offensive line has  alot to do with the running backs production. Not all of it. A few years ago LeSean showed why an elite running back is nice to have. If the line can open up holes a good back can get 4 yards a carry. I am less concerned about Gore and LeSean given the line moves made so far. I think Beane gets o play and i think McDermott is learning quickly. Daboll being around another season is also huge. Continuity right now with this young team should pay off. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Frank Gore will make a lot of teams feel foolish before seasons end. Brandon Beane is not stupid. Could have signed any number of Running backs.

But Frank Gore was one of the first signings of free agency, that should tell you something...

Buffalo has 2 future hall of famers in the same backfield. I see nothing to complain about.

Why stop there?  Edge James isn't busy....

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

Marcus Murphy doesnt break tackles, lacks vision and isnt a true NFL back. I see him being cut.

He also is a liability in pass protection and fumbled more often that he should've. 

We've heard Beane discuss how much he respects Frank Gore's approach to the game. I've said this before, they don't sign guys to play here ONLY for their on-field work. Obviously their performance on the field is a major part of the equation but you hear them say it all the time, they wanna make sure the guy is the right fit for the type of culture they have here. Clearly, Frank Gore has been doing it right for the last 14 years to remain a productive player at his age in a position that usually reaches its limit by 30. McBeane want their younger players to see how guys like Gore and McCoy take care of themselves and approach the game. They're going to draft a running back no later than round four (my guess) and they're gonna say, "Alright kiddo, watch and learn from those two." 

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Why stop there?  Edge James isn't busy....

Not to mention the fact that if Frank Gore is inducted into the Hall of Fame, then the honor will have lost all meaning.  Shady as a Hall of Famer is also highly debatable.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, blacklabel said:

He also is a liability in pass protection and fumbled more often that he should've. 

We've heard Beane discuss how much he respects Frank Gore's approach to the game. I've said this before, they don't sign guys to play here ONLY for their on-field work. Obviously their performance on the field is a major part of the equation but you hear them say it all the time, they wanna make sure the guy is the right fit for the type of culture they have here. Clearly, Frank Gore has been doing it right for the last 14 years to remain a productive player at his age in a position that usually reaches its limit by 30. McBeane want their younger players to see how guys like Gore and McCoy take care of themselves and approach the game. They're going to draft a running back no later than round four (my guess) and they're gonna say, "Alright kiddo, watch and learn from those two." 

Well said- I concur, around 3-4 they wlll draft a pound it in between the tackles stud RB. Murphy will be the odd man out if no injuries occur. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, mannc said:

Not to mention the fact that if Frank Gore is inducted into the Hall of Fame, then the honor will have lost all meaning.  Shady as a Hall of Famer is also highly debatable.

Well, who knows.  But having two of these guys in your backfield by choice is definitely not the direction the NFL is trending in....

• Like (+1) 2

I think if you open the holes, RB's can run through them no matter what their age is. How many times were the Bills RB's tackled in the backfield, hit before they get to the LOS, or basically fall forward for a yard in a pile because of no holes to run through. I dont think there will be any drop off between Shady and Gore. One thing about Gore is he can pass protect when that isnt Shady's specialty. 

This will clearly be Shady, Ivory and Gore's last season with the Bills. I want to see Dabol develop Murphy much more. I think we'll draft a Singletary type in the mid rounds. And we might go FA next year for a value rb? I would NEVER draft a 1st r RB again. The Kamara's can be found later.

3 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

With age, wear, pounding and exposure to the elements iron gets rusty and brittle...  maybe it’s time to use a diamond analogy? 

I always thought the actual phrase was "steel sharpens steel".... Metallurgically speaking, McD is in a different age... Which may be why he gravitates toward older backs.

Edited by #34fan

8 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I think it's a wise strategy to not spend a lot of resources on a premier free agent RB like LeVeon Bell or using a high draft pick this season.  It has been shown again and again that the learning curve moving from the college game to the NFL is easiest at the RB position.  Kamara, Barkley, Kareem Hunt are recent examples.  Build the rest of the offense that needs time to gel this season.  O-lines need time to gel.  The QB-WR-TE relationship needs time to develop. 

I believe that this year is going to be a fun year to be a Bills fan and I expect we'll make the playoffs, but I still don't think we are ready to make a Super Bowl run this year.  I think after this season we will have a more experienced QB, a solid and cohesive O-line to protect him, and WRs and TEs that have learned how to catch Allen's bullets.   Heading into the 2020 season the only thing we may be missing to have a truly explosive offense is a dynamic, world class running back. 

I think that 2020 is the year that we grab the best RB in the draft class.  A RB who can catch the ball, pass protect, and hammer the rock.  Drop him behind that great O-line, getting the ball from a QB who is a threat to run too, and who has a passing attack that is game enough to keep the defense honest and stop them from stacking the box, and you will see an offense every bit as explosive as Kelly, Thurman, and Andre Reed.

Drafting that RB stud next season will be the last piece of the offensive puzzle.

Preach, brother, preach!!!

I agree wholeheartedly.

2 hours ago, blacklabel said:

McBeane want their younger players to see how guys like Gore and McCoy take care of themselves and approach the game. They're going to draft a running back no later than round four (my guess) and they're gonna say, "Alright kiddo, watch and learn from those two." 

Three.... Isn't Ivory still on the roster too?   I'd argue that one aging back would have been sufficient to groom a youngster.

1 hour ago, mannc said:

That's ridiculous. 

Gore is already the 4th leading rusher all time, and with a decent season he will pass Barry Sanders.  The top 16 all time are in the Hall except Adrian Peterson and Edgerrin James.   Gore has had 11 seasons over 1000 yards and two more where he missed by less than 50.  He also had 5 seasons over 40 receptions.   

McCoy needs 1500 yards to be in the top 15 and 2000 yards to pass Jim Brown and be in the top 10.  Easily doable. Three seasons.  

These guys are two of the great backs in the history of the league. 

Edited by Shaw66
  • Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, #34fan said:

Three.... Isn't Ivory still on the roster too?   I'd argue that one aging back would have been sufficient to groom a youngster.

Yeah, Ivory is still under contract but I'm assuming they're going to roll with McCoy, Gore and a rookie on the active roster, meaning Ivory might be cut. 

6 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

Marcus Murphy doesnt break tackles, lacks vision and isnt a true NFL back. I see him being cut.

Not sure if that is very fair to a kid that injuries forced into the lineup and he did a good job toting the rock when his number came up.

Little harsh and that is coming from someone not known for going easy on our players.