Josh Allen rookie cards - is anyone else All-En?

That's the top of the spectrum stuff there.  National Treasures, on card auto, 3 color patch rookie numbered to 25.  High end for sure.  The only thing more valuable are the smaller numbered sets (like that buy it now /15...though that price is not even close to what they will get), not a different brand / series. 

Edited by Mark80

9 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Are cards even worth anything now?  I spent way too much money on cards and I couldn’t give most of them away now. 

They are worth whatever someone will buy them for.    The problem for cards started in the late eighties, too may companies, too may cards of the same player.  Everything is over saturated.   Rather than scale back the number of sets they were putting out, the card companies "invented" high end sets like National Treasures, which comes with somewhere around 5 cards per box and sell for anywhere between 800 and 1,000 dollars.   Problem is they are still just paper.  So once the interest runs out so does the value.

It's a fun hobby, but it is oddly expensive for the "high end" stuff. 

• Like (+1) 2

I used to spend a ton of money collecting football cards. I bought a box of Panini gold standard a while back for just under $200 did not pull anything good. I decided I really don't want to start spending all that money again. Collecting Josh allen rookies does sound like a lot of fun though I'm going to pass. If I could give you one suggestion it would be go after the serial numbered cards  that are autographed seem to hold their value a lot better Good luck to you

Edited by ALLEN1QB

5 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

Nope.    Sports cards are worthless now 

This is actually a good signal to start buying again, when nobody wants them. I have a few theories why cards from the 50s and 60s became so sought after. It’s essentially a supply and demand issue. People in the 50s and 60s collected cards as kids, not as investments, but just for fun. They grew up, moved out, and their parents threw away all their cards. They became scarce and subsequently, very valuable. 

People caught on to this in the 80s and 90s, but then thought of them as “investments”. They didn’t get thrown out, or not in appreciable amounts. These cards aren’t as valuable as a result. 

If cards are unpopular now, this makes a set up where companies maybe won’t produce as many or people won’t save them. We may have another set up where people don’t care about them and the supply:demand ratio in the future may again be very low. We’ll see!

2 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

They are worth whatever someone will buy them for.    The problem for cards started in the late eighties, too may companies, too may cards of the same player.  Everything is over saturated.   Rather than scale back the number of sets they were putting out, the card companies "invented" high end sets like National Treasures, which comes with somewhere around 5 cards per box and sell for anywhere between 800 and 1,000 dollars.   Problem is they are still just paper.  So once the interest runs out so does the value.

It's a fun hobby, but it is oddly expensive for the "high end" stuff. 

I remember when I was real young, some goon who owned a card store traded me two Sabres (Ruutu and Puppa) for some rookie I never heard of named Hasek. 

Modern cards collecting is very weird.  Rookie cards for highly touted prospects especially on popular major market teams come out crazy high then lose steam as the next batch of players arrives.  The majority of the rookie cards produced each year will never be worth as much as when they first come out.  If you are going to collect with money in mind do some research and buy singles  You will go broke busting boxes.  Its like Vegas slots, the longer you play the more guaranteed you will lose money

3 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

Modern cards collecting is very weird.  Rookie cards for highly touted prospects especially on popular major market teams come out crazy high then lose steam as the next batch of players arrives.  The majority of the rookie cards produced each year will never be worth as much as when they first come out.  If you are going to collect with money in mind do some research and buy singles  You will go broke busting boxes.  Its like Vegas slots, the longer you play the more guaranteed you will lose money

The analogy to gambling is 100% correct.  People buy boxes more for the chase.   What I've seen more recently is a bunch of guys put in money on a 1,000 dollar case break with a pre-determined teams set for each person. 

12 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

The analogy to gambling is 100% correct.  People buy boxes more for the chase.   What I've seen more recently is a bunch of guys put in money on a 1,000 dollar case break with a pre-determined teams set for each person. 

12 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

You are talking about case breaks.  That is the only thing keeping the modern card market going.  I would say that is a fun way to do it if you can just buy the team you want  Still gambling but better than busting boxes on your own.   Honestly if you want to collect just go buy vintage  Not too many older Bills cards are going to set you back much.  1970's-1990's is dirt cheap  Bruce Smith /Andre Reed / Jim Kelly rc  you might find in a dollar box at a shop  The usfl Kelly still is worth something and of course Jack kemp  The 1965 tall boy Topps Kemp showing him in the Bill uni is a pretty card

1 hour ago, DuckyBoys said:

You are talking about case breaks.  That is the only thing keeping the modern card market going.  I would say that is a fun way to do it if you can just buy the team you want  Still gambling but better than busting boxes on your own.   Honestly if you want to collect just go buy vintage  Not too many older Bills cards are going to set you back much.  1970's-1990's is dirt cheap  Bruce Smith /Andre Reed / Jim Kelly rc  you might find in a dollar box at a shop  The usfl Kelly still is worth something and of course Jack kemp  The 1965 tall boy Topps Kemp showing him in the Bill uni is a pretty card

Those cards you mentioned are exactly what I am after.  It's kind of criminally insane the Bruce Smith rookie goes for 6 bucks and a Josh Allen is selling for close to a thousand.  No offense to JA but it's Bruce.

The 65 Kemp is a beauty.  Trying to get rookies of all the Bills Wall and Hall of Famers.  Picked up a George Saimes rookie for two dollars this weekend.  Not worth much to anyone outside of Bills fans but it's a cool looking card.

7 hours ago, jletha said:

Most hobbies are worthless. Not everyone is in it for the money.

There is absolutely NO money in stamp collecting unless you shell out big money, but I really enjoy it even though the ones I have are worth very, very little. I agree with this.

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I remember when I was real young, some goon who owned a card store traded me two Sabres (Ruutu and Puppa) for some rookie I never heard of named Hasek. 

I still have my entire Sabres collection, from Perreault's rookie to Hasek era cards. I stopped buying Sabres cards when the market got stupid.

Anyone else got a Real Cloutier Sabres card? Diehards, where ya at? LMAO

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

No wonder the bills are so damn expensive In all the team breaks this season; everyone collecting Allen! I’ve got about 20 Allen autographs all from team breaks but if you combine their value, it’s probably still worth less than that sick Contenders cracked ice you posted OP.   At present I’ve had a hell of a time trying to pull an Allen RPA out of NT (currently worth around $1k+). Been in 6.5 NT case breaks and hit 3 Allen autos /99 but not the chase autos so for those of you thinking I did well, no, I actually took a major loss because the Bills sell for $200+ in case breaks :(

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

Nope.    Sports cards are worthless now 

eBay changed the game, you can buy any jersey or autograph card you want for a 1/3 they were 15 years ago. Not too mention Topps was the only one that held value in the industry and they don't do football anymore. But I still enjoy collecting jersey cards of all my favorites, got a Doug flutie for $20.

1 hour ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

eBay changed the game, you can buy any jersey or autograph card you want for a 1/3 they were 15 years ago. Not too mention Topps was the only one that held value in the industry and they don't do football anymore. But I still enjoy collecting jersey cards of all my favorites, got a Doug flutie for $20.

As long as they are the old Flutie jersey cards that were actually game worn. Majority of jersey cards now are “player worn” which means Panini has the player wear about 10 XXXXL jerseys at the same time and then cut them up for all the rookie cards in every product for the year.  This is no exaggeration. For some reason I can’t embed the pic here but maybe someone else can do it for me. Go here and scroll down to the picture of Mark Ingram wearing a bunch of huge saints jerseys  http://www.sportscardsuncensored.com/nfl-football-hobby-continues-haunted-player-worn-material/

So that’s why a lot of collectors including myself are starting to prefer plain on-card autographs to everything else in the hobby right now (sticker autos are another story)

now the card in the OP is the best of all worlds today.... the iconic Contenders product, cracked ice parallel, low serial #, clean on-card autograph and no “player worn” jersey bs...... it does not get much better than that right now.  

14 hours ago, BobBelcher said:

As long as they are the old Flutie jersey cards that were actually game worn. Majority of jersey cards now are “player worn” which means Panini has the player wear about 10 XXXXL jerseys at the same time and then cut them up for all the rookie cards in every product for the year.  This is no exaggeration. For some reason I can’t embed the pic here but maybe someone else can do it for me. Go here and scroll down to the picture of Mark Ingram wearing a bunch of huge saints jerseys  http://www.sportscardsuncensored.com/nfl-football-hobby-continues-haunted-player-worn-material/

So that’s why a lot of collectors including myself are starting to prefer plain on-card autographs to everything else in the hobby right now (sticker autos are another story)

now the card in the OP is the best of all worlds today.... the iconic Contenders product, cracked ice parallel, low serial #, clean on-card autograph and no “player worn” jersey bs...... it does not get much better than that right now.  

On card autos is nice  You know the player held that card in hand.  The stickers they sign tens of thousands in their rookie year for peanuts thanks to the locked in NFLPA contract  Its bases on player position and where they got drafted  That's why you will see sticker autos of guys not even in the league anymore for years Somewhere there is still a pile of nathan peterman stickers ready to be unleashed, lol

21 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Those cards you mentioned are exactly what I am after.  It's kind of criminally insane the Bruce Smith rookie goes for 6 bucks and a Josh Allen is selling for close to a thousand.  No offense to JA but it's Bruce.

The 65 Kemp is a beauty.  Trying to get rookies of all the Bills Wall and Hall of Famers.  Picked up a George Saimes rookie for two dollars this weekend.  Not worth much to anyone outside of Bills fans but it's a cool looking card.

There is a zillion of the 1986 Bruce Smith Topps .  New stuff they artificially produce in low #'s to make supply/demand where it needs to be.  However on the flip side there is one Bruce Smith rookie card and Josh Allen probably has a few hundred different ones.

If Josh Allen pans out anyone who invested in him before the last 4 games of the season is going to easily quintuple their investment... key part was scooping him up while his cards were so low (especially after the Houston game when the ROTOWORLD feed as claiming Tommy-John surgery was needed).

If you are chasing Josh Allen now in NT breaks, it's gonna be a wild and expensive ride but if you hit the true RPA - easy 2k+