Josh Allen rookie cards - is anyone else All-En?

I stopped collecting cards back in high school, around 1998, but Josh Allen got me back in the hobby. As I have built a solid collection, I have met other Bills fans who also started collecting again just because of him.

Anyone else get back in it for our new franchise QB?

628879589_ScreenShot2019-03-25at7_11_46PM.png.0bf336ad7536b631bded664b2b5e16fc.png

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, 315Mafia said:

WOW, this takes me back to when i was collecting from 87-97.. I think gonna go grab a pack tomorrow!

What's the best brand these days? it was Upperdeck & Pinnacle the last time i purchased a pack.. #GoBills

That was my question and about the range I collected. Anyone that can shed some light that would be great.

• Like (+1) 2

I just started collecting again.  Something I did with my Father, and now my son is old enough I've decided to pass it down.

I've been sticking to wall of famer rookie cards and signed 8x10s.   My son likes Tre White and Josh Allen.

With Allen his autograph is already very expensive.  I've seen some of his high end rookie autos going for close to 1k.  I'll be honest the investment scares me a bit.  

The cool thing is Buffalo has a really nice collectors scene.  We went to a card show last weekend, there is another this coming weekend, one April 7th in Syracuse and then again in Buffalo in May.   You can check out Buffalo Sports Card Convention on Facebook.  The shows are like Josh Allen card heaven.  His cards are everywhere.

It's a nice scene.  My son bought a Tre White rookie auto with his chore money and the vendor gave him three rookie cards free, it made his day.  Lots of Bills and Sabres fans spending time together.  Good luck on your collection.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, rayray808 said:

I stopped collecting cards back in high school, around 1998, but Josh Allen got me back in the hobby. As I have built a solid collection, I have met other Bills fans who also started collecting again just because of him.

Anyone else get back in it for our new franchise QB?

No, because when the bottom fell out of card collecting, I was done with any newer cards. It used to be that you could go to a card shop and occasionally get awesome inserts... when you did, it was so much fun and they were valuable. When the number of card series mushroomed, what once was a fun hobby turned into a commercial nightmare. The ONLY redeeming aspect left of card collecting are old cards, because they are scarce and retain their value. That's where my focus has been since. Nothing can replace a 1955 Clemente, 1970-71 Perreault or a 1960 Kemp. The day I saw my first Jack Kemp rookie card, right next to the rookie Joe Namath card, I remember fondly. 

Kemp.png

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan

7 hours ago, 315Mafia said:

WOW, this takes me back to when i was collecting from 87-97.. I think gonna go grab a pack tomorrow!

What's the best brand these days? it was Upperdeck & Pinnacle the last time i purchased a pack.. #GoBills

Probably Panini in general.  Especially the high end stuff, like Panini National Treasures.  Leaf has some decent stuff for rookies, but they don't have logos on them since they are not licensed which ruins them for me.  Base cards are worthless.  Only cards that are numbered (like 1 of 10 for example) are going to have some value.  Even non-numbered autos have limited value for the most part. 

On card autos are typically the best (as opposed to signed stickers placed on the cards after).  Autos + multi-colored patches are the sweet spot.

Edited by Mark80

56 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

No, because when the bottom fell out of card collecting, I was done with any newer cards. It used to be that you could go to a card shop and occasionally get awesome inserts... when you did, it was so much fun and they were valuable. When the number of card series mushroomed, what once was a fun hobby turned into a commercial nightmare. The ONLY redeeming aspect left of card collecting are old cards, because they are scarce and retain their value. That's where my focus has been since. Nothing can replace a 1955 Clemente, 1970-71 Perreault or a 1960 Kemp. The day I saw my first Jack Kemp rookie card, right next to the rookie Joe Namath card, I remember fondly. 

Kemp.png

That 1960 Kemp is on my list for sure.  The vintage cards just look so much better.  Sure, they are worth a lot more as well, but there is something about the history and artistry of the cards from that era. 

8 hours ago, 315Mafia said:

I every once in a while buy cards but I was like you back in the day.  It seems to me brand is not as important as is the series.  Topps sells so many different series right now and some of them depending on scarcity are very valuable.

47 minutes ago, jletha said:

Most hobbies are worthless. Not everyone is in it for the money.

Um AHEM, are you saying my homebrewing and winemaking hobbies are WORTHLESS? I'll slur my way to wherever you are and have cross (eyes) words with you!

• Like (+1) 1

The only thing with any value these days are numbered rookies, silver/chrome rookies, or limited autos/memorabilia cards.   

Inserts are pretty much worthless.  And base memorabilia is for the most part as well.

Edited by HeHateMe
  • Like (+1) 1