Bills Week One Possibilities for opponent. A breakdown of each possibility

Here are the possibilities (assuming the Bills don't play in the MNF doubleheader) and why. Who do you think it will be?

RULE OUT

1) It will definitely not be at home against the Patriots. They have already been given a SNF game at home.

2) Knowing the opponent in NE should be a very high ratings team on SNF, it probably won't be at NE either. 

3) Eagles will probably be home since Phillies are on the road - thus no home game vs PHI

4) Probably not at PIT - Pirates have a home game 9/8

5) Probably not DEN at home, because with the Rockies on the road, DEN may play at home. 

GOOD POSSIBILITIES

1) Home vs WSH, BAL, MIA or CIN is a decent possibility since the Nationals, Orioles, and Reds have home games on Sunday, Sept. 8 and have stadiums close by. The Marlins also have a home game in Miami, even though it's not near Hard Rock Stadium. 

2) At CLE or DAL - The Indians and Rangers are on the road

COULD BE EITHER WAY

1) Playing the Jets in either location or the Giants in the Meadowlands are always possible. Yankees are in Boston and Mets host Phillies. 

2) at TEN

Thoughts or any other stadium conflicts to think about like concerts?

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, arcane said:

Does the NFL go out of their way to avoid same-day same-city baseball games? 

In Oakland, yes.

For stadiums in proximity to each other, I believe so. After all, didn't the Ravens not host the Thursday opener in 2013 after winning the Super Bowl because the Orioles didn't move their home game a parking lot away? 

To your point, there may be less consideration for those stadiums further apart like Marlins Park-Hard Rock Stadium, Gillette-Fenway, Soldier-Wrigley, State Farm-Chase Field, etc. And actually, the Red Sox host the Yankees at Fenway the same night the Patriots are on SNF to open the season. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Augie said:

When does the schedule come out? I want a home game (preferably the opener) and the Nashville game this year, but I’ve got some date restrictions. I want to make my plans! 

All they have stated is that the release date is in “the spring”. I am hopeful that we don’t see Nashville until week 3 or 4. That’s my away game and I prefer their fall weather. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Few things because I cover the schedule stuff regularly.

The NFL is pretty honest about trying to keep teams home one year and away the next. Unless you win the SB multiple years like NE has they are pretty consistent about swapping home and away every year. With that in mind the Bills were on the road in 2018 to open and they should be home this year to the point Id wager money they are. The last time the Bills opened back to back away was 2011-2012 Chiefs and Jets. But the NFL hadn't adjusted the scheduling the same as they have now with night games and other quirks.

The Bills majority of the time open the season with an AFC team at with AFC East opponents being scheduled about 50% of the time in the last decade. The only time since 2010 Buffalo opened with an NFC team was in 2014 when the Bills defeated Chicago in OT. The last time the Bills opened at home against an NFC team was 2008 against Seattle and with the Bills playing the NFC East this year you can pretty much kiss any chance of a week 1 NFC opponent goodbye given how the NFL and networks prioritize that division for bigger matchups. For the Bills actual home opener itself they have been very division heavy with 2010 MIA, 2013 NE, 2014 MIA, 2016 NYJ, and 2017 NYJ.

So with all of that said we know Buffalo will not host New England and the NFC East most likely. That leaves Miami, NYJ, Baltimore, Cincy, and Denver. My guess is Baltimore may be a Bills nightgame later in the season and the NFL will want them for a bigger matchup week 1 the same with the Jets being a bigger matchup. That leaves MIA, Cincy, and Denver. Cincy typically plays a divisional matchup week 1 as does Denver. My guess is it is the Dolphins given the AFC East rivalry, the fact Buffalo has not hosted Miami week 1 since 1992 (or 93 it was around then), and because of the NFLs 100th season it being something they can market. I could see a small chance perhaps Buffalo gets a 4:00pm Denver matchup, but I would be stunned.

Edited by corta765
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, arcane said:

Does the NFL go out of their way to avoid same-day same-city baseball games? 

sometimes, i had little trouble finding road trips that mixed MLB, NCAA football and the NFL on a weekend

29 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

I am more concerned with the # of home games before November vs. after Thanksgiving.  There's been a trend over the last few years and it's more ikely to be the result of some bias if it happens again this year.

Actually in 2017 the Bills had 5 home games before Thanksgiving with four in first 8 weeks. Last year I agree was absolutely ridiculous with how the schedule was so away game heavy early on, but the same thing kinda happen in 2016 with the Bills having four home games from week 12 on only for 2017 to be more favorable. And in 2015 they actually had 5 home games in the first 8 games (9 weeks) plus the neutral ground London game.

They years its good the Bills seem to get a very favorable lineup, but they years its bad it seems to be really bad. It would be nice to see a slight bit more of consistency with the schedule rather then drastic flips with how favorable it is or isnt.

1 hour ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Baseball games and football games are often played the same day in a city.  It simply helps if you have two stadiums.

playoffs can make it interesting, was at a Lions game with a Tigers playoff game right across the street.

Jets had to share with the Mets at Shea, going on the road until the Mets were done, made them play the first 6 on the road in 1973, and surrender a home game as well.

14 minutes ago, MJS said:

Hope it's the Jets at either location. I'm excited to see Darnold vs Allen again.

too early, need both fanbases bitter and angry for their first meeting, hopefully at 4pm in Buffalo, 3 extra hours to drink

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Give me the Bengals at home please

better to let them settle down with injuries or insane asylums or whatever alternative place they might be during game time

1 hour ago, corta765 said:

Few things because I cover the schedule stuff regularly.

The NFL is pretty honest about trying to keep teams home one year and away the next. Unless you win the SB multiple years like NE has they are pretty consistent about swapping home and away every year. With that in mind the Bills were on the road in 2018 to open and they should be home this year to the point Id wager money they are. The last time the Bills opened back to back away was 2011-2012 Chiefs and Jets. But the NFL hadn't adjusted the scheduling the same as they have now with night games and other quirks.

The Bills majority of the time open the season with an AFC team at with AFC East opponents being scheduled about 50% of the time in the last decade. The only time since 2010 Buffalo opened with an NFC team was in 2014 when the Bills defeated Chicago in OT. The last time the Bills opened at home against an NFC team was 2008 against Seattle and with the Bills playing the NFC East this year you can pretty much kiss any chance of a week 1 NFC opponent goodbye given how the NFL and networks prioritize that division for bigger matchups. For the Bills actual home opener itself they have been very division heavy with 2010 MIA, 2013 NE, 2014 MIA, 2016 NYJ, and 2017 NYJ.

So with all of that said we know Buffalo will not host New England and the NFC East most likely. That leaves Miami, NYJ, Baltimore, Cincy, and Denver. My guess is Baltimore may be a Bills nightgame later in the season and the NFL will want them for a bigger matchup week 1 the same with the Jets being a bigger matchup. That leaves MIA, Cincy, and Denver. Cincy typically plays a divisional matchup week 1 as does Denver. My guess is it is the Dolphins given the AFC East rivalry, the fact Buffalo has not hosted Miami week 1 since 1992 (or 93 it was around then), and because of the NFLs 100th season it being something they can market. I could see a small chance perhaps Buffalo gets a 4:00pm Denver matchup, but I would be stunned.

I'm going with the Jets.