If the Bills don't draft a pass rusher...........

njbuff

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

My slightly different opinion is on point 3. I think it will be a pass rushing DL. That likely means an edge guy but I think Ed Oliver comes into that equation if he is there and potentially even Rashan Gary if the Bills see him as a fit as a 3 technique. To me Oliver is a guy who can consistently be in that 7-12 sacks a year range from an interior defensive line spot. That is edge level pass rush production and to me if he is there at #9 there is no question he is the best player available and the Bills would select him.

I agree with this. I like Oliver. If they go edge, I think Brian Burns may be near the top of their list, though either may go before nine.

Edited by Dr. Who

10 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I agree with this. I like Oliver. If they go edge, I think Brian Burns may be near the top of their list, though either may go before nine.

I get that Burns is a likely first round pick.  I do not see him as top 9, especially if 2 QBs go in top 8. 

Why do you think he ranks above the other top rated players?

IMO he had High bust potential.

54 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

This is an interesting point.  I don't think it's all on Frazier.  I think McD likes to come with just four.  I tend to agree with you.  We will see if the philosophy changes.  I have to think that with Edmunds speed they'd be looking for opportunities to get him free runs at the qb, let alone coming from other positions, as well. 

one things for sure, it doesn't matter who they add, they are gonna have to update their approach to climb up from 26th in sacks.

4 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

I get that Burns is a likely first round pick.  I do not see him as top 9, especially if 2 QBs go in top 8. 

Why do you think he ranks above the other top rated players?

IMO he had High bust potential.

Bosa and Allen are mentioned as the top two EDGE choices. Some like Sweat a lot, but right now, he relies on speed and has one move. Burns already has creativity and multiple ways of attacking o-linemen. Not sure if one is allowed to post links, so I won't, but there's a good analysis, imo, over at The Draft Network on Burns. Those who compare him to Maybin are mistaken. Burns can carry more weight and maintain athleticism. He isn't the beneficiary of clean-up sacks. It honestly wouldn't shock me if he ends up being picked ahead of Allen.

52 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

He's also said that obviously if a QB is rated above a DL, guess who we are taking? The BPA thing is predicated on their board, not ours or the media. I think its important to keep that in mind. So lets say they have Haskins ranked ahead of Oliver and they are both there at 9. That will be a position of need being taken instead of BPA. And I think they set their board up with those particulars factored in, and BPA in that instance is completely removed from the board because its not a need. I mean, if we had Aaron Donald, and say Geno Atkins already on the team, we would not be drafting a DT round one. It would be a disservice to the overall team IMO. So, we should take the BPA sermon he preaches with the notion that BPA DOES in fact meet need when they set up their board. Idk, just my take on it

I don't know what they would do in the Donald-Atkins situation, but I'd guess that if they're on the clock and a QB is their BPA, they don't take Oliver.  They trade out of 9, maybe throw in a sixth, and get a pick later in the first plus a second.  There's more value in that than in any non-qb you're likely to get at 9. 

Your future is not determined by non-qb stars.  Jerry Rice might be the exception.  Getting three guys like Tre White, Kiko Alonso and Phillips is better than Oliver and one other.  

If a legit top 10 rated qb is on the board at 9, I expect the Bills to trade down.

16 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

one things for sure, it doesn't matter who they add, they are gonna have to update their approach to climb up from 26th in sacks.

I agree, if for no reason other to force the oline and QB to be worried about the possibility.  You get killed if the offense knows you're bringing the same 4 every play, especially against the better qbs.  Brady has to be worried about getting hit if you're going to have a chance against him. 

Just now, IgotBILLStopay said:

I am kinda hoping for best DT available - but wouldnt complain if it is a game changing DE.

I don't think you get a game changing anything at 9.  Everyone wants a game changer, and it's rare to have more than a couple in a draft, other than qbs.  

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I don't think you get a game changing anything at 9.  Everyone wants a game changer, and it's rare to have more than a couple in a draft, other than qbs.  

One can always hope, no?

That said Urlacher, Keuchly, Tyron Smith, Fred Taylor, Bruce Matthews (for the old timers) were all picked #9 and changed the game enough for me, my friend.

Then another player was BPA.  

13 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

1.  I think Ansah is still a possibility, but ONLY if its before the draft.  Once the draft starts, Ansah wont be a Bill if he wasn't already.

2.  I seriously doubt they trade for Clowney.  I do think Frank Clark is a possibility though, just reports seem to suggest we aren't interested, so seems like a low possibility.  

3.  I think if we stay at 9 we will certainly pick an EDGE rusher over say one of the DTs.  Although I also still wouldn't rule out a weapon for Josh.  

4.  I think plan A is to trade down.  

They will have a tough descision to make if a DE and DT are on the board with the same grade.  Maybe trade down a couple spots if its safe to do so.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

most of it had much to do with that old time blockheaded insistence on thinking you'll get plenty of pressure with the front 4 and not stunting or blitzing.

ie.  look at what the pats did to rivers. they sent someone(s) every single snap.

every time we sent bush or neal we got a sack.  a lot of this is on mcfrazier. we can draft the top 5 guys but a stubborn conservative defense will nullify talent.

even kyle made mention of that.

I agree with this.  I think it's a combination of both talent and playcalling.  Need more talent and more agressive play call i.e. blitzing. 

• Thank you (+1) 1