If the Bills don't draft a pass rusher...........

njbuff

3 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Did we lose Jerry Hughes, Lorax, and Lawson and I missed it?

No but Hughes is getting up there in age, Lorax is already up there, and Lawson is not a big pass rusher.  

The 9th pick is a prime spot for a top DL.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

No but Hughes is getting up there in age, Lorax is already up there, and Lawson is not a big pass rusher.  

The roster evolves, and we need to have a long term plan. Or......a process.  ?

12 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Didn't think this deserved its own thread but it's interesting:

You should start your own thread on this.  Someone else will anyway.  

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

Why is that exactly?

Because of two things he said.

First, he had the comment about "if there is truly depth at any position -- let's say defensive line -- then that allows you to push that need down the draft." This is INDEED a deep draft at defensive line, and the Bills have been meeting with more projected mid-round linemen and edge rushers than I thought they would.

Second, Beane mentioned that if you consider a position weak in the draft, it'll probably cause you to make sure you sign someone at that position in free agency, so that if you miss out on the top few guys, you're not in a bad position. Here, to me, it seemed like he was talking about offensive linemen and wide receivers.

Putting the two things together: if defensive line (and, for that matter, tight end) are both deep positions in this draft, but Beane feels that offensive line and wide receiver are NOT particularly deep (and his signing 5 O-linemen and 3 WRs in FA support this notion), then I can't help but wonder if the plan is to try to grab the best player available at one of those shallow positions (OL or WR) early, knowing that you can still get good DL and TEs later into the draft.

It is all completely guess work and inference on my part. I mostly believe them this year when they say they'll take BPA. And I'd even say I still view d-line as the LIKELY first round pick. But today's comments by Beane, for the reasons I mentioned, represented the first time that I seriously considered that they might take a different position instead and wait to get some d-linemen later in the draft, given its depth at those positions.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bob in STL said:

DT’s, yes. DE’s, is it?   

49 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Didn't think this deserved its own thread but it's interesting:

Is this a good thing?  Don’t know much about him 

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Eh kind of a bust. I wouldn't expect it to cost more than a 5th rounder, if that. If you trust PFF they don't even rank him as average.

That's too bad.  Really liked him coming out

7 hours ago, Cotton Fitzsimmons said:

Gugny, my good fellow... are we talking Bosa here?

YE OLE!  It's just my feeling that Beane will work his sorcery in order to secure whomever he and his little ginger friend deem the best pass rusher in the draft.  Could be Bosa.  Could be Allen.  Who knows?  All I know is that I trust 'em!

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

When you watched McD's defense in Carolina, they generated a lot of pressure on the pocket from the d-tackles, especially from K. Short.  I think he places a lot of value in that. The Bills were not able to generate that pressure consistently in 2018.  With Kyle Williams gone, they have even less talent now.  I have a feeling that the Bills will try to add that skill set to the defense with pick #9.  There are several outstanding d-tackles in this draft.  

Exactly. The DL is the only unit that has taken a step backwards since last season ended and I believe that elite defense starts with a dominant DL. Kyle is gone. Both Shaq and T Murphy are merely adequate. This is the best DL draft class in a while. I'll be stunned if Oliver is there at 9 and they pass on him.

7 hours ago, Virgil said:

Did we lose Jerry Hughes, Lorax, and Lawson and I missed it?

Coincidentally all three of those players you listed are on the last year of their contracts. Maybe you missed that.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1