VIDEO: Brandon Beane Speaks at Owner's Meeting

Major Points:

EJ Gaines

Brought EJ Gaines back to compete at CB.  Bills stayed in contact with his reps, brought him in for a workout, and signed him.  Levi Wallace had a great year but nothing is a given.  Competition makes everyone better and Bills will trying to add competition at every position.  Also mentioned Corey Thompson.

Free Agency

- Offensive stats were a focus of the offseason.  Wanted to bring in enough offensive players to select the BPA in the draft. 

- Beane feels better about the team after FA but still wants to add competition.  He is keeping all options open to adding talent - specifically mentioned possibly making a trade.

- Free Agency is all about the "right fit"

- There are no games won in March.  Adding talent is one thing, building a team is another.  Performance of free agents is not an automatic.  Bills staff still have a lot of work to do to make sure they get everything out of free agents.

Improvements to the defensive line

- Still looking to bring in players including Free Agency and the draft

AAF Players

It's helpful to see players in actual football (as opposed to workouts)

Praises the AAF and feels it's good for the NFL

Failure of Tight Ends Drafted High

Says each scenario is different

Teams have to do their due diligence and should draft the best player available regardless of position

Shaq Lawson

Draft will have no impact on Shaq's contract 

Edited by BillyWhiteShows
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 14

5 minutes ago, One Buffalo said:

I read that comment as he really likes the depth at defensive line in the draft and he didn't feel he had to go crazy to go get one of them in free agency. And also that grabbing the center, the wide receivers, tackles, and tight end kind of takes some of the pressure off of having to grab those positions in the draft. I know I'm reading into it a bit, but I think it's fairly obvious that he is saying that. He knows he can get a top three defensive linemen at 9. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I read that comment as he really likes the depth at defensive line in the draft and he didn't feel he had to go crazy to go get one of them in free agency. And also that grabbing the center, the wide receivers, tackles, and tight end kind of takes some of the pressure off of having to grab those positions in the draft. I know I'm reading into it a bit, but I think it's fairly obvious that he is saying that. He knows he can get a top three defensive linemen at 9. 

I still think its going to be EDGE, TE, or DK at 9 if they don't trade down.

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

IMO it won’t be Metcalf at all. This draft is deep at the position and there isn’t much drop off from a Metcalf to the next group. In fact, I would argue that other receivers will be better in the league. 

TE will probably in happen if we trade down. I’d put money on DE or DT. 

• Like (+1) 4

Wow, what a great interview! I love the way Brandon Beane handles himself, he ‘s the right fit for the Bills. 

Gotta love the depth this guy is providing to the roster. Now E.J. Gaines?? Our secondary is gonna be rocking! 

Too many times Beane has alluded to being open to a trade, the guy is soliciting and I’m fully expecting a big time trade for either a defensive player and/or a WR.

Since he’s been here he obtained a star in a few different position groups. Tre’Davious, Edmunds, Josh and looks like Morse, and tried with Zay and Dion. I expect another star taken in the draft with either the DL or with a WR. I suppose you could add a TE in there but I think the other 2 positions hold presidence. 

I think the LB position might be addressed in the draft as much as 2 times, somewhere in the 3rd rd and later.

• Like (+1) 1

Lot of ways to take it...think he just wants to be in a position in the draft where he can truly focus on BPA that can contribute pretty quickly.

The comment about depth in the draft just sounds like common sense. If a position is deep they can afford to address it in later rounds or be pretty confident about the type of player they can get, if there is a significant drop off after the first few, then you might bump that up on your board, or make it a Free Agency priority instead.

Free Agency around the o-line acquisitions could be that the tackles and guards projected to go early were just not the right value proposition, poor quality depth in the draft, or it could be they wanted to surround Josh with some veterans to help slow the game down for him a bit and provide stability.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I think 3 Tech or edge. 3 Tech is the glaring hole in free agency and on our roster, and there is a lot of talent at the top of the class. I think it's Oliver or Gary, Allen if he falls not, likely. Maybe Wilkins. 

I think it's one of Oliver, Gary, Wilkins. I think Devin White and TJ Hockenson will get a lot of considerate as well. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I think 3 Tech or edge. 3 Tech is the glaring hole in free agency and on our roster, and there is a lot of talent at the top of the class. I think it's Oliver or Gary, Allen if he falls not, likely. Maybe Wilkins. 

I think it's one of Oliver, Gary, Wilkins. I think Devin White and TJ Hockenson will get a lot of considerate as well. 

I really do not think DT will be the pick...at 9...see us taking one later, but not at 9.  Oliver and Wilkins are getting a bit over exaggerated.  I wont be mad if we pick one of them, they are certainly good prospects.  But they are being talked about as if they are cant miss...and they are certainly not that nor are they as good as Quennin.  

Plus, I keep saying it, but I think Beane and McD have a higher opinion of Harrison and Jordan and while they will add more competition to the DT position, I don't think they are nearly as panicked about it as some people on this board.  

So for me, I think Beane will first try and trade down from 9.  If not successful, then I think the most likely pick will be an EDGE player, possibly DK or TJ for Allen.  I do think they will certainly draft DT, I just don't think it will be at 9.

Ideally, trade down from 9...pickup extra 2nd.  First 3 picks in rounds 1 and 2 could then be something like Hockenson (TE), Simmons/Tillery (DT), Wide Reciever (Best on board).  Or maybe its something like Harry (WR), Simmons/Tillery (DT), and Irv or maybe an OL guy like Risner, Lindstrom, etc.  

But if we stay at 9 I feel like its most likely EDGE if its a defensive player.  

7 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I really do not think DT will be the pick...at 9...see us taking one later, but not at 9.  Oliver and Wilkins are getting a bit over exaggerated.  I wont be mad if we pick one of them, they are certainly good prospects.  But they are being talked about as if they are cant miss...and they are certainly not that nor are they as good as Quennin.  

Plus, I keep saying it, but I think Beane and McD have a higher opinion of Harrison and Jordan and while they will add more competition to the DT position, I don't think they are nearly as panicked about it as some people on this board.  

So for me, I think Beane will first try and trade down from 9.  If not successful, then I think the most likely pick will be an EDGE player, possibly DK or TJ for Allen.  I do think they will certainly draft DT, I just don't think it will be at 9.

Ideally, trade down from 9...pickup extra 2nd.  First 3 picks in rounds 1 and 2 could then be something like Hockenson (TE), Simmons/Tillery (DT), Wide Reciever (Best on board).  Or maybe its something like Harry (WR), Simmons/Tillery (DT), and Irv or maybe an OL guy like Risner, Lindstrom, etc.  

I think they lack that DT that can be disruptive and play on the other side of the LOS, but I agree with your draft take.

I think quality EDGE players are less deep than DT this draft so if they stay at 9, I think that is where they will go.

If they trade down I am less sure as the BPA then could be some offensive prospects too.

If they pick a DB in the 1st, I will probably throw something at the tv.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I kind of agree.  I believe their first preference is to trade down and pick up an additional second round selection.  The Hockenson pick is interesting. He definitely didn’t shy away from saying he wouldn’t draft a tight end high in the first.  

If I had to guess, I’d put my money on the Bills drafting the best DT or edge rusher available at 9.  I think they definitely go tight end and/or WR in round 2 or 3.  

2 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Major Points:

EJ Gaines

Brought EJ Gaines back to compete at CB.  Bills stayed in contact with his reps, brought him in for a workout, and signed him.  Levi Wallace had a great year but nothing is a given.  Competition makes everyone better and Bills will trying to add competition at every position.  Also mentioned Corey Thompson.

Free Agency

- Offensive stats were a focus of the offseason.  Wanted to bring in enough offensive players to select the BPA in the draft. 

- Beane feels better about the team after FA but still wants to add competition.  He is keeping all options open to adding talent - specifically mentioned possibly making a trade.

- Free Agency is all about the "right fit"

- There are no games won in March.  Adding talent is one thing, building a team is another.  Performance of free agents is not an automatic.  Bills staff still have a lot of work to do to make sure they get everything out of free agents.

Improvements to the defensive line

- Still looking to bring in players including Free Agency and the draft

AAF Players

It's helpful to see players in actual football (as opposed to workouts)

Praises the AAF and feels it's good for the NFL

Failure of Tight Ends Drafted High

Says each scenario is different

Teams have to do their due diligence and should draft the best player available regardless of position

Shaq Lawson

Draft will have no impact on Shaq's contract 

I just like that we got a little insight in this interview. No direct tells, so to speak, but we definitely heard some non-doublespeak from Beane. Without giving any particulars away, he actually said some important things. Good listen. Thanks for sharing, @BillyWhiteShows

7 hours ago, WideNine said:

I think they lack that DT that can be disruptive and play on the other side of the LOS, but I agree with your draft take.

I think quality EDGE players are less deep than DT this draft so if they stay at 9, I think that is where they will go.

If they trade down I am less sure as the BPA then could be some offensive prospects too.

If they pick a DB in the 1st, I will probably throw something at the tv.

The only way I see a trade down is if the guys they want are gone and they are going to trade back into the first while keeping a second.

7 hours ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

I just like that we got a little insight in this interview. No direct tells, so to speak, but we definitely heard some non-doublespeak from Beane. Without giving any particulars away, he actually said some important things. Good listen. Thanks for sharing, @BillyWhiteShows

You’re welcome!  Glad you enjoyed it

• Like (+1) 1

I read/listen to quotes and interviews like this from Beane and then shake my head at those who are still critical of what he did in free agency last year.  It's so obvious last year was an expected "lost" season and the primary goals were to get rid of dead cap, draft the QB, add talent via the draft, and then survive.  Yes, Star and Murphy were signed to deals expecting they will be on the roster for a few years but otherwise the signings were bargain basement shopping.  Go back and listen to soundbites from Beane and McD prior to the season -- there were numerous references to taking a "step back" from the unexpected playoff season of 2017.

Now if you disagree there was a need for a rebuild when Beane and McD arrived you're entitled to your opinion, but if you accept that they had a plan it's refreshing to see it executed with such precision.  It also appears to me the Pegulas are learning (i.e., not meddling) and Beane is the sharpest guy we've had at GM since Polian.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, WideNine said:

Free Agency around the o-line acquisitions could be that the tackles and guards projected to go early were just not the right value proposition, poor quality depth in the draft, or it could be they wanted to surround Josh with some veterans to help slow the game down for him a bit and provide stability.

I suspect the Bills will draft OL in later rounds and let them adjust to the NFL game.  Trying to avoid throwing a rookie OL guy in there like they did with Teller.

Man, I like the Bills ownership, GM and coach.  Every time I hear a Beane interview, I learn something and my respect for him grows.  

I love when he says there's a plan, they're following the plan and he and the Pegs and McD all are on board.  

He's pretty frank about what he is doing, without naming names. His 2019 roster is going to be better than 2018, and his 2020 roster is going to be better than 2019.  His players are on notice - the Bills want to keep getting better at every position. If you want to play, get better, because someone else is going to be behind ready to take your spot.  

Lovin it.