LB - Starters/Depth - Is more needed?

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

Some of the responses are interesting.  I don't see this is as a big need at all.

At least not before the 3rd-4th Round.

With the amount we are in nickel defense, you are only going to see two linebackers on the field most of the time. 

And unlike the D-Line, you don't see a heavy rotation at linebacker.  Barring injury, the starters will play 95%+ of the snaps.

Backup linebackers are mostly used for special teams.

-  In my opinion, Matt Milano has flashed big-time playmaking ability in his first two years.  I'm absolutely shocked that some people think he should be upgraded.  We should be set here for the next several years, and I can't believe it's even a question.

-  Tremaine Edmunds definitely had struggles as a rookie.  But it should have been expected from someone with his experience.  He definitely improved as the year goes along, and I think he makes a huge jump this year.  Again, I find it shocking how quickly some fans want to move-on from young players.

-  Lorenzo Alexander is aging, so I definitely wouldn't mind grooming someone behind him.  But I can't see using a really high draft pick on someone.  Taking someone like Devon White would be a waste.  The only reason Alexander even plays the number of snaps (I think he was around 60 percent) is because of his versatility.  He was a chess piece for McDermott.  Would another SLB be flexible to also play DE and DT?

Tremaine Edmunds is what they want in a MLB - fast enough to go sideline to sideline and any idea of moving him to OLB, even SOLB to cover TEs, is dead IMO.

Matt Milano is the player you put behind a NT size DT and let him go where his instincts tell him to go with rest of team needing to understand his role and play off it or not be on the field.

Lorenzo Alexander is exactly what you say he is - a versatile player, experience gained from actually playing different positions, who is very smart and adaptable.  While he has less miles on him than average player his age I'd hope Bills can find someone who can take more of his reps so when he is active he makes a difference and actually is a player offenses need to account for.

• Like (+1) 1

I believe it's Julian Sanford, and yes, depth at linebacker is probably the area of the team where the need is greatest.  We sill could use a solid rotational player at 3 Tech and defensive end on the defensive line, but other than those  areas, we could probably go into the team and be reasonably comfortable.   Yes, I know you should always try to upgrade wherever you can, but those areas look to me as id the areas with the most acute needs.

There are a few super obvious adds available imo.

First is DJ Alexander. He is an ace special teamer and has been for a few years. He's been around a bit, but he's great on teams. He's  a former teammate of Jordan Poyer at Oregon state. He's probably a will linebacker and can backup Milano while playing great on special teams. Plus we'd corner the market on Alexanders. 

Second is Kyle Emanuel, formerly of the Chargers. Plays SAM backer and could backup inside as well. Can rush the passer a bit. Former NDSU alum is pretty close with Bob Babich. Can actually play defense and is an ace special teamer. 

Another is Kevin Pierre-Louis. Kind of a poor man's Matt Milano. Smallish speedy linebacker who is very good on special teams. Former BC alum has been around the league, but has been very good depth and a very good special teamer. Former teammate of special teams coach Heath Farwell. l

Cassius Marsh, former Niner, Pat, Seahawk. The dude is a tweener Sam/defensive end like Lorax. He'd be the perfect guy to groom at that spot. Seems like he's been around forever, but he's still just 26. He's  also a willing wspecial teamer and doesn't like the Patriots. He's a former teammate of special teams coordinator Heath Farwell as well.

Last, former Pat and Raven Albert McClellan is a backup linebacker who has been a beast special teamer for years. He's also on the older end. The rest of these guys are in that 25-27 range.

Any two of these guys would make our depth much better and improve special teams. With Marsh you get a pass rusher as well. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 4

3 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

They need an edge rusher more than a true linebacker. They play nickel 60% of the time and need a player that can replace Lorax as an edge rusher but who can stay on the field at OLB in the base defense when needed. Top 4 need in the draft along with TE, OT, and DT

Old school linebackers simply aren't as important as they used to be. What you want is guys that are decent in run support, but above average in coverage. Essentially glorified safeties. I wouldn't be opposed to adding a coverage linebacker, but edge rusher is lightyears more important. You win by consistently getting in the opposing QB's mug. Outside of a couple games, we didn't do that last season.

11 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

First is DJ Alexander. He is an ace special teamer and has been for a few years. He's been around a bit, but he's great on teams. He's  a former teammate of Jordan Poyer at Oregon state. He's probably a will linebacker and can backup Milano while playing great on special teams. Plus we'd corner the market on Alexanders. 

Second is Kyle Emanuel, formerly of the Chargers. Plays SAM backer and could backup inside as well. Can rush the passer a bit. Former NDSU alum is pretty close with Bob Babich. Can actually play defense and is an ace special teamer. 

Another is Kevin Pierre-Louis. Kind of a poor man's Matt Milano. Smallish speedy linebacker who is very good on special teams. Former BC alum has been around the league, but has been very good depth and a very good special teamer. Former teammate of special teams coach Heath Farwell. 

Cassius Marsh, former Niner, Pat, Seahawk. The dude is a tweener Sam/defensive end like Lorax. He'd be the perfect guy to groom at that spot. Seems like he's been around forever, but he's still just 26. He's  also a willing special teamer and doesn't like the Patriots. He's a former teammate of special teams coordinator Heah Farwell. 

Last, former Pat and Raven Albert McClellan is a backup linebacker who has been a beast special teamer for years. He's also on the older end. The rest of these guys are in that 25-27 range.

Any two of these guys would make our depth much better and improve special teams. With Marsh you get a pass rusher as well. 

Great analysis of what's out there.  Appreciate the time and effort to put this together.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, H2o said:

It's a different NFL now. Nothing is really a "run down" anymore. 

I think Bennett would be awesome in today's NFL. Don't forget, he played olb in a 3-4 defense. Not really a fit in our current scheme though.

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Another is Kevin Pierre-Louis. Kind of a poor man's Matt Milano. Smallish speedy linebacker who is very good on special teams. Former BC alum has been around the league, but has been very good depth and a very good special teamer. Former teammate of special teams coach Heath Farwell. l

Cassius Marsh, former Niner, Pat, Seahawk. The dude is a tweener Sam/defensive end like Lorax. He'd be the perfect guy to groom at that spot. Seems like he's been around forever, but he's still just 26. He's  also a willing wspecial teamer and doesn't like the Patriots. He's a former teammate of special teams coordinator Heath Farwell as well.

Thanks for all the FA looks.  I still want Beane to sign a depth guy.  I will check them out.........I was looking at Cassius Marsh and wondering would he be

depth for Lorax too.

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

Old school linebackers simply aren't as important as they used to be. What you want is guys that are decent in run support, but above average in coverage. Essentially glorified safeties. I wouldn't be opposed to adding a coverage linebacker, but edge rusher is lightyears more important. You win by consistently getting in the opposing QB's mug. Outside of a couple games, we didn't do that last season.

That's why I added Maurice Alexander to the list as a Hybrid.   I'm wondering too if he can fill that role.

I really can't remember seeing him play, I need to go back to the signing thread of his and read up about him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I expect for us to draft at least 2.  Devin White would be tremendous at 9.  Could play mike and will in our defense, IMO.

Last thing in the world they want this  year is to spend the season breaking in a new guy as the defensive play caller. If they thought they could stash White a year or two elsewhere and then move him in when he's seasoned, that would make sense.

If they think he can play Will for a year or two this would make more sense. I think he might be a pure MIke, though. Not sure of that at all but that's my suspicion of how they view him.

I do expect them to draft an LB or two, though not Devin White. We'll see.

29 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Thanks for all the FA looks.  I still want Beane to sign a depth guy.  I will check them out.........I was looking at Cassius Marsh and wondering would he be

depth for Lorax too.

That's why I added Maurice Alexander to the list as a Hybrid.   I'm wondering too if he can fill that role.

I really can't remember seeing him play, I need to go back to the signing thread of his and read up about him.

For sure. I'm intrigued by that signing, especially since the rest of the backup LB's are pretty one dimensional.

• Like (+1) 1

The answer is simple.  Bean will do what he did before.  Trade-up for Josh Allen! 

In all seriousness, I do think we need more depth and an Alexander replacement.  I could see Walker from GA or Joseph form FL in a 3-5 round range.  

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Last thing in the world they want this  year is to spend the season breaking in a new guy as the defensive play caller. If they thought they could stash White a year or two elsewhere and then move him in when he's seasoned, that would make sense.

If they think he can play Will for a year or two this would make more sense. I think he might be a pure MIke, though. Not sure of that at all but that's my suspicion of how they view him.

I do expect them to draft an LB or two, though not Devin White. We'll see.

Yeah, I agree not the likely play here.  Unless they want to move Tremaine to SOLB, and Lorax to DE.  Obviously not an area of need, but the kid is hella talented.  Might be hard to pass up on him.  To your point about having to groom a different “QB of the defense,” I agree that this would be less than ideal.

I honestly think it’s going to be edge or DT if we stay at 9.

2 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Technically it's Stanford, but yes is definitely not Stafford. 

Oops! You're right.  It's terribly embarrassing to correct somebody and still get it wrong.  STANFORD and Lacey are both good athletes, but have never stood out at linebacker.  It would be nice if we had guys who could play special teams AND play a position well if need be.

• Like (+1) 1

I see LB as a draft depth need. I think in the 4th or 5th round they draft a LB. They found Milano in round 5, so I think given that there is no intimidate need for a LB in terms of starting I think they can address the position well enough in round 4 or 5 (where the team has 4 picks.) The depth needs of this team to me are primarily at RB (Gore and Shady are ancient definitely need to spend a pick somewhere between rounds 3 and 5 on a RB,) LB (Not much behind the 3 starters and there needs to be an heir apparent behind Lorax,) and Safety (I am not sure what we have behind the two starters.)

Luckily the team has plenty of picks in the mid rounds to address this.