LB - Starters/Depth - Is more needed?

On 3/25/2019 at 4:58 PM, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...good point CB......with his versatile FA signings, it may give him more flexibility to possibly target LB's in the draft.....going to need a replacement for Lorax at some point.....

If White is available at #9, I would be very happy taking him over a DL. Even when we go to a nickle or big nickle, Edmunds can play outside, cover te's and even rush the passer opposite of Hughes. Plus, I think a healthy Milano has some untapped pass rushing potential. The fact that Edmunds can do so much makes it easier to take White and put him in as the mlb. Edmunds, White and Milano would make for a helluva LB corp. Sure Edmunds was our MLB last season, but he would be just as good, if not more valuable outside, if we took White. LB and pass rush is more of a pressing need than DL imo and white being there at 9 would be a match made in football heaven. IMO, the only DL I would take over White would be Q. Williams.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/04/26/buffalo-bills-nfl-draft-picks-selections-grades

He has the range to go sideline-to-sideline as a traditional middle linebacker, and the length and fluid athleticism to match up with tight ends in coverage. And despite it not always being in his job description, he’s an explosive edge rusher with star potential if asked to play the edge on a regular basis.

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2018/04/27/2018-nfl-draft-buffalo-bills-tremaine-edmunds-versatile/

It’s expected that Edmunds will start for the team at middle linebacker. However, the rookie doesn’t really have a preference on where he plays.

“Well, in my opinion, I’m an athletic guy,” Edmunds said during his introductory press conference on Friday. “Versatile player. I can move around, so any of those linebacker spots I really feel like I can play.”

http://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/31598/buffalo-bills-2018-draft-analysis-for-every-selection

Where does he play? The biggest question for Edmunds is where he will be play in Buffalo’s 4-3 defense. At 6-foot-5 and 253 pounds, Edmunds had 5.5 sacks in college and was projected to play on the edge in the NFL. He could contribute in that area for the Bills, especially once outside linebacker Lorenzo Alexander transitions into retirement, but he is more likely to immediately contribute as a middle linebacker in the defense.

"He's a versatile athlete," McDermott said. "He's got size, length. He's played inside. He's played outside. He's played on the line of scrimmage, he's played off the line of scrimmage. ... That is what attracted us to him."

On 3/31/2019 at 8:36 PM, Ethan in Portland said:

Your assessment is correct but I dont see them moving Edmunds from MLB. I think Edmunds could be an All-pro at SLB. He got better as the season wore on at MLB and he is so young for the role they thrust him into.  Allen and Edmunds will determine the fate of Beane and McD.

I don't think he showed a great deal of improvement...........and it certainly wasn't linear..........he was terrible in the Pats game on December 23..... one of his worst games of the season.

What he did all year was make big plays...............the hope would be that the light comes on at MLB this season and he can be coached up because he lacks instincts for the position.

I think there are a number of factors working against him becoming the kind of MLB that people expect............there aren't long, lean MLB's because they are big targets for blockers and aren't naturally stout at the point of attack.  He's already missed time with a concussion suffered on a tackle.

Long term I think the best move is to move him to an edge rushing position.

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I don't think he showed a great deal of improvement...........and it certainly wasn't linear..........he was terrible in the Pats game on December 23..... one of his worst games of the season.

What he did all year was make big plays...............the hope would be that the light comes on at MLB this season and he can be coached up because he lacks instincts for the position.

I think there are a number of factors working against him becoming the kind of MLB that people expect............there aren't long, lean MLB's because they are big targets for blockers and aren't naturally stout at the point of attack.  He's already missed time with a concussion suffered on a tackle.

Brian Urlacher played 13 years at a  HOF level Middle Linebacker at 6-4 240. Edmunds is 6-5, 250. His size is not the issue.  As you pointed out its his instincts. But he was only 20 years old.  

Im not entirely sold on Edmunds yet either but he showed flashes of a great player. 

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

As much as I’m praying that Edmunds can eventually turn the corner and become that freakish MLB 6’5 260  blazing fast heat seeker that the league has yet to see.........SLB will likely be his best position.  

Edited by NewEra

8 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Brian Urlacher played 13 years at a  HOF level Middle Linebacker at 6-4 240. Edmunds is 6-5, 250. His size is not the issue.  As you pointed out its his instincts. But he was only 20 years old.  

Im not entirely sold on Edmunds yet either but he showed flashes of a great player. 

Yeah the instincts Urlacher had in SPADES though.

He played safety in college........was only switched to LB during the draft process and proceeded to play at an All Pro MLB level as a rookie.

That would be unbelievable at most positions but MLB's are like RB's..........they are usually good right out of the chute in the NFL...........which is why Edmunds struggles weren't the same as if he were a DE or CB or LT etc.........the learning curve is much steeper at those positions.

I also tend to think Edmunds is a much more finished product at LB than his age indicates.............he grew up in an NFL family and played the position for 3 seasons at VA Tech.

This year will tell it all..........if he doesn't turn into a near peak efficient player wrt the basics that he struggled so much with last season there is no way McD will keep him at MLB for a 3rd developmental year, IMO.

That position is too important in his defense and instinctive MLB's aren't THAT hard to find.    

• Like (+1) 1

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 5:41 AM, MrEpsYtown said:

I think there are a bunch of young, fast, smaller linebackers that will be available in the later rounds of the draft, where you can easily add some depth. 

As for replacing Lorax at SAM, i think the McBeane will go after Shaq Thompson who is playing on a 5th year option and is set to be an UFA next offseason.  

I would love that but posters would moan about Panther North.  LOL

I wonder if players currently on one team ever talk to former coaches about stuff like that off the record?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

I would love that but posters would moan about Panther North.  LOL

I wonder if players currently on one team ever talk to former coaches about stuff like that off the record?

That's  great question. I assume there is a ton of back channel stuff that goes on through agents and former teammates and things like that. I do think the Shaq fit makes a lot of sense becuase he came into the league as an athlete without a position and McDermott has to get a good amount of credit for turning him into a legit OLB in the NFL. Imo, for a guy like that, fit is super important. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He played safety in college........was only switched to LB during the draft process and proceeded to play at an All Pro MLB level as a rookie.

That would be unbelievable at most positions but MLB's are like RB's..........they are usually good right out of the chute in the NFL...........which is why Edmunds struggles weren't the same as if he were a DE or CB or LT etc.........the learning curve is much steeper at those positions.

I also tend to think Edmunds is a much more finished product at LB than his age indicates.............he grew up in an NFL family and played the position for 3 seasons at VA Tech.

This year will tell it all..........if he doesn't turn into a near peak efficient player wrt the basics that he struggled so much with last season there is no way McD will keep him at MLB for a 3rd developmental year, IMO.

That position is too important in his defense and instinctive MLB's aren't THAT hard to find.    

I still don't understand any reason why we don't sign Zach Brown...2 mill,1yr.I'm sure he could teach the kid a few things and he would be better depth in the middle than Stanford is.jmo

5 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I generally agree but 20 is still 20.  I would expect him to play better this year.  If not a move to OLB is a good idea.  But I just don't see that happening.  Coaches and GMs have egos and it is very unlikely McD will give up on Edmunds quickly. Hell he couldn't give up on the worst QB to ever play the positon.

And though it is water under the  bridge, trading up for a LB was dumb no matter how talented Edmunds may be.  Sit tight and they could have drafted DROY or maybe even Edmunds in the second round and had an additional pick to take a WR or OL last year. 

2 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

I still don't understand any reason why we don't sign Zach Brown...2 mill,1yr.I'm sure he could teach the kid a few things and he would be better depth in the middle than Stanford is.jmo

I think whoever signs Zach Brown has to give him a starting job............he has been one of the leading tacklers in the NFL since he joined the Bills originally.

Bills aren't ready to go there with Edmunds still in development.

Stanford is an underrated player though, IMO.    

You won't find many more athletic LB's in the league and he played well when Edmunds was out with a concussion.   

I could foresee a situation where an injury results in Stanford playing at MLB and Edmunds moving outside.........especially if Edmunds continues to be inefficient wrt the basics.

Not saying it's likely but Stanford might be a hidden gem.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I generally agree but 20 is still 20.  I would expect him to play better this year.  If not a move to OLB is a good idea.  But I just don't see that happening.  Coaches and GMs have egos and it is very unlikely McD will give up on Edmunds quickly. Hell he couldn't give up on the worst QB to ever play the positon.

And though it is water under the  bridge, trading up for a LB was dumb no matter how talented Edmunds may be.  Sit tight and they could have drafted DROY or maybe even Edmunds in the second round and had an additional pick to take a WR or OL last year. 

Yeah if I knew they would put Edmunds at MLB and never look at him as an edge guy during his rookie contract I wouldn't have been down with that pick............but I guess that is where the age comes into play.......he might make it as a rather unique MLB or he could flame out as a MLB at 21 and still turn into a stud pass rusher at a younger age than a guy like Montez Sweat......who will be 23 at the start of this NFL season.  

It's even more eye opening that Edmunds is going to be eligible to hit UFA after his fifth season as a 24 year old man and Christian Wilkins will turn 24 in his rookie season.

I've pointed out before that it's not uncommon for 20-21 year olds to play their best ball early and flame out early.........Amobi Okoye being a prime example.........but it's nice that Edmunds has age on his side at least if he has to make a conversion.

Edited by BADOLBILZ

13 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think whoever signs Zach Brown has to give him a starting job............he has been one of the leading tacklers in the NFL since he joined the Bills originally.

Bills aren't ready to go there with Edmunds still in development.

Stanford is an underrated player though, IMO.    

You won't find many more athletic LB's in the league and he played well when Edmunds was out with a concussion.   

I could foresee a situation where an injury results in Stanford playing at MLB and Edmunds moving outside.........especially if Edmunds continues to be inefficient wrt the basics.

Not saying it's likely but Stanford might be a hidden gem.

Love Zach Brown and all that SPEED. Wish the Bills would have kept him around.

Also agree with the assessment on Stanford. They didn't miss a single beat when he played MLB. I don't wish injury on anyone, but a scenario that puts Stanford in the middle and Edmunds outside would be just fine with me.