LB - Starters/Depth - Is more needed?

Starters Matt Milano - Tremaine Edmunds - Lorenzo Alexander

Depth :  Julian Stafford, Deon Lacey, Corey Thompson

Possible Hybrid :  Maurice Alexander

Lorax, Stafford, Maurice Alexander and Lacey are FAs next year.

First off I am a little shocked Beane hasn't signed a decent depth/possible starter FA yet.

Is it because McDermott has very specific requirements or just couldn't get anyone to sign?

Will Beane still sign a decent depth LB, if so who would fit?

Secondly with the FA signing so far at other positions does this put LB in the top 4 rounds of the draft?

Personally I see LB now as the riskiest group on D and I don't think the depth at LB will get it done.

• Like (+1) 1

Finally someone talking about our LB's 

I felt like I was the only one who thought we needed to address the position. Last year we had one of the worst LB groups in the league. Milano is a great player but he isn't a top 10-15 ranked guy at the position. When McD was in Carolina he had the best LB core in the league. LB's are the MOST important position in his scheme. The fact we have yet to address the position this offseason tells me that might be the pick in round 1. Edmunds is still learning and we still don't know if he is able to play in that MLB role. 

Our poor run defense didn't come from the dline, it was b/c our LB's are not good. 

• Like (+1) 4

I like Cashman and I like Drew Tranquil in the middle rounds. Wouldn't even mind taking White early and taking a DT with our second pick. We can't get amazing starters at every position, but drafting a LB would allow Lorax to play DE more and get a more consistent pass rush going for us.

6 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Maybe a Blake Cashman if he's available in the 4th

I'm limited in college football knowledge.  I did look at this guy and wonder if he could ever be a starter.

3 minutes ago, XABI64 said:

Finally someone talking about our LB's 

I felt like I was the only one who thought we needed to address the position. Last year we had one of the worst LB groups in the league. Milano is a great player but he isn't a top 10-15 ranked guy at the position. When McD was in Carolina he had the best LB core in the league. LB's are the MOST important position in his scheme. The fact we have yet to address the position this offseason tells me that might be the pick in round 1. Edmunds is still learning and we still don't know if he is able to play in that MLB role. 

Our poor run defense didn't come from the dline, it was b/c our LB's are not good. 

I know improving the DL is a great option and a pressure guy is needed but I tend to agree with you.

LB should be improved.

8 minutes ago, BigdaddyinOrlando said:

I would love to have Devin white in the LB core! What a dynamic group that would be! Fingers crossed!!

2 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Devin Bush is also worthy

Can either of the Devin's play multiple schemes or are they both Mikes only?

4 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Can either of the Devin's play multiple schemes or are they both Mikes only?

Both could play anywhere but to be honest I think LB in round 1 is probably off the table with the Edwards pick last year. Depth is needed. Then again those 2 LBs are elite and would fit perfectly into McDermott's scheme. We'd never have to sub as all 3 LBs would be 3 down LBs. 

I do think DL, OL, or TE will be the focus for the Bills in round 1.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

Devin White would be overkill on our unit. We have bigger needs than another starting lb when we play nickle a majority of the time and  only  2 lbs are on the field at that time. 

We will likely draft one or two lbs later in the draft that fit our lb role. Milano was a late round guy and is killing it in this system. I bet we roll the dice on some cheap depth lbs that can also play special teams. I mean we have ten draft picks we got to spend them on something. 

Edited by dje85
  • Like (+1) 2