moving up?

20 minutes ago, rayray808 said:

we stay put at 9 and grab the best defensive player available... then we also move into the late 1st to grab an elite WR or TE.

that is my guess

Take the best available offensive player. (will be the best non-QB offensive prospect?) Then get who's left of the elite defensive players or TE in round 2 or trade up to late rd 1.

Edited by Chemical

31 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Sure, if some team decides to get stupid and offer a trade up to the top 5 for only a 3rd (lol delusional) then go for it. 

Or other compensation.  Or a 3rd and a future 3rd.  Or a future 2nd.  Or 3 future 3rd.  There’s countless compensation structures we could debate.  

If there was a GM in the league that would ONLY trade up for a QB without even discussing compensation they probably wouldn’t be a GM for very long imo.  There are many situations in which teams would LOVE to trade down, it’s just there aren’t any takers.  In those situations, the compensation isn’t as bad and both teams can get what they want.  

Considering our situation this year, an elite pass rusher is usually seen has the 2nd most important variable behind QB.  Quinnen, Bosa and Allen are seen by some as elite pass rushers for their position. We need an elite pass rusher either from DT or DE.  I guess I I just don’t understand the thought process behind “only trading up for a qB” as if if the ONLY piece of the puzzle that matters.  The most important sure, but adding an elite pass rusher to this team could have a similar effect on our D.

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Or other compensation.  Or a 3rd and a future 3rd.  Or a future 2nd.  Or 3 future 3rd.  There’s countless compensation structures we could debate.  

If there was a GM in the league that would ONLY trade up for a QB without even discussing compensation they probably wouldn’t be a GM for very long imo.  There are many situations in which teams would LOVE to trade down, it’s just there aren’t any takers.  In those situations, the compensation isn’t as bad and both teams can get what they want.  

Considering our situation this year, an elite pass rusher is usually seen has the 2nd most important variable behind QB.  Quinnen, Bosa and Allen are seen by some as elite pass rushers for their position. We need an elite pass rusher either from DT or DE.  I guess I I just don’t understand the thought process behind “only trading up for a qB” as if if the ONLY piece of the puzzle that matters.  The most important sure, but adding an elite pass rusher to this team could have a similar effect on our D.

You must be bored.

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

Only trade up for QBs. Since we don’t need one we don’t have to trade up.

Well, last year Beane traded up for a LB immediately after getting our QB...so much for that theory...

29 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

You must be bored.

You must not like to admit that your wrong my using the word only.  It’s a bad word.  You shouldn’t use it or be ready to defend it.  

As free agency has progressed, this is a question also crossing my mind.

The roster is a numbers game.  As we continue to add solid veteran depth, we are quickly running out of places for draft picks.

Considering we still have a nice amount of cap space, it's possible we aren't even done with free agents.

The only clear remaining holes on the roster are at TE and DT (3-Tech).

The coaching staff is clearly looking to add another pass rusher at DE, so you can add that as well.

And it couldn't hurt to add another OT or OG into the competition.  But both would probably be overkill.

Outside of that... anybody we draft or pickup as an UDFA is going to be competing for third string/practice squad reps.

Another QB is going to be developmental/practice squad.  Another RB is going to be #3 behind the vets for at least a season.  Another WR is probably going to be #5 on the depth chart.  Barring injury, backup linebackers rarely get on the field outside of special teams.  Another CB is going to be #6 at best.  I can't see another Safety even making the roster.

More likely than a trade-up from #9, I can see us trying to get back into the back-end of the 1st Round.  Or packaging some of those mid-rounders into another 2nd or 3rd. 

Personally, I would love to get someone like Ed Oliver at #9 and then possibly get back into the mid/late 20s again for TJ Hockinson (not sure he falls), Noah Fant or Irv Smith Jr.

3 hours ago, tombstone56 said:

with all the free agency moves apparently filling the most obvious holes ,the most glaring in now at de -edge rusher or olb in near future,, ,the highest rated being  BOSA,  and then ALLEN and SWEAT,  ,is it possible that they are setting up a move for either ALLEN OR SWEAT ? lately some mock draft seeing them both at picks 5-7, IMO  getting Allen would be game changer and Sweat reminds me of a young Charles Haley , I would welcome a move to get either one, your opinion?/ or  can we wait and have one come to 9?

I watched Sweat this season ,he is just getting better every game it seems, 

the way I see it adding ten more draft picks plus udfa's. would be a crowded camp.

some teams are so close to cap that more cuts still coming, ,I am curious who is still getting released either before or post draft, my understanding was teams needed 10 million set aside for draft , some teams are way under that the may have changed it but to sign them  the teams still has to find cap space, so more  cuts coming even before camps.

wish list for my draft goes like this.

1 sweat de or allen olb

2 dexter Lawrence dt  ,or  chris lindstrom og 

3 riley ridley, deebo Samuel or ,miles boykin,, wrs.

4 benny snell rb , olive sagapolu, dt  or beau benzschawel og

5 dieter ot or ,granderson olb , bryce love rb,,

any combination will keep me smiling this offseason

I wouldn't trade up for Sweat no way.  He tends to play high way to much . He will get stonewalled in the NFL playing lIke that. 

I don’t know if they will move up from pick #9, but I fully expect them to move around in the draft. I would be more shocked if they picked at all of their original spots. 

In both drafts since McDermott and Beane got here, we have yet to pick at our original spot in the 1st and rarely picked at our original spot in the 2nd and 3rd. 

They have shown a real willingness to move around the draft board as well as trade up for players they like. So it wouldn’t really surprise me if they traded up from #9. But I wouldn’t be surprised to see them trade down from #9 either.

Your guess is as good as mine (as to what they’ll do)! lol 

4 hours ago, tombstone56 said:

with all the free agency moves apparently filling the most obvious holes ,the most glaring in now at de -edge rusher or olb in near future,, ,the highest rated being  BOSA,  and then ALLEN and SWEAT,  ,is it possible that they are setting up a move for either ALLEN OR SWEAT ? lately some mock draft seeing them both at picks 5-7, IMO  getting Allen would be game changer and Sweat reminds me of a young Charles Haley , I would welcome a move to get either one, your opinion?/ or  can we wait and have one come to 9?

I watched Sweat this season ,he is just getting better every game it seems, 

the way I see it adding ten more draft picks plus udfa's. would be a crowded camp.

some teams are so close to cap that more cuts still coming, ,I am curious who is still getting released either before or post draft, my understanding was teams needed 10 million set aside for draft , some teams are way under that the may have changed it but to sign them  the teams still has to find cap space, so more  cuts coming even before camps.

wish list for my draft goes like this.

1 sweat de or allen olb

2 dexter Lawrence dt  ,or  chris lindstrom og 

3 riley ridley, deebo Samuel or ,miles boykin,, wrs.

4 benny snell rb , olive sagapolu, dt  or beau benzschawel og

5 dieter ot or ,granderson olb , bryce love rb,,

any combination will keep me smiling this offseason

Trading up in the first costs a lot of ammo - i'm not sure its worth it.  Wilkins or Oliver likely makes it to 9 - and we still have our 2nd and 3rd to address DE and/or Oline/TE.  

I have seen Mock's that actually make sense with Quinnen Williams dropping out of the top 5.

He's the only dude I would trade up for if he dropped out of the top 5.   Your defense just got 20% better in one shot.   One shot.   I love Bosa but the Q is the best defensive player to come along in years man.   Film, combine, work ethic, the dude is a home run.     I pray he doesn't go to the Jets.

I would trade up if any of Bosa, Q Williams or Allen fell into the 5 or 6 range depending on the price.  But the draft is deep in top end D talent sp it would also make sense sitting at 9 and moving up from 40 which would cost a lot less and be more attainable.

4 hours ago, Chemical said:

Take the best available offensive player. (will be the best non-QB offensive prospect?) Then get who's left of the elite defensive players or TE in round 2 or trade up to late rd 1.

Take the best available football player.  You want a stud at #9, don’t box yourself in. 

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

You must not like to admit that your wrong my using the word only.  It’s a bad word.  You shouldn’t use it or be ready to defend it.  

Do you normally take things so literal? If it makes you feel better you can have this victory.

3 hours ago, mannc said:

Well, last year Beane traded up for a LB immediately after getting our QB...so much for that theory...

I never said it doesn’t happen.

2 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Do you normally take things so literal? If it makes you feel better you can have this victory.

I never said it doesn’t happen.

Do you normally talk in such literal terms?  If not, maybe you should stop.