moving up?

5 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Only trade up for QBs. Since we don’t need one we don’t have to trade up.

That's certainly my rule for the first round.   As much as I loved getting Sammy at the time, trading up in the first round is simply too expensive for any position other than QB.   Put another way, no non-QB is going to change your team so much that he's worth trading up for.   Now, of course, after the fact you can say that trading up would be worth it to get a JJ Watt or a Lawrence Taylor or someone of that caliber.   However, there are a lot more guys predicted to be the next Watt or Taylor than actually make it.  

If there is one position other than QB that it may be worth trading up for, that position would be middle linebacker.   That box is already checked.

Trading up in the second or third round to get a targeted player makes some sense.  

Plus, McBeane have been very clear that they are patient.  They view building as a multi-year process, and they clearly seem to think that the chances are the team is improved more by the two players they can get with, say a first and a third than the one player they can get with a higher first.  

I am on board with trade ups and trade downs.  I think that if they believe in their evaluations, it is wise to consider either option.

I don’t think that it will make sense to trade up in round 1, but I could see it being plausible in subsequent rounds.  

To to be clear, the extra picks that they have are not high value picks in terms of “draft capital”.  They have an extra 4th and an extra 5th and something else in round 6 or 7.

The extra 4th plus their 4th would maybe net them a late 3rd - possibly of value if they like someone after their pick in round 3.  Likewise, their extra 5th plus their own could get them into the backend of the 4th if that makes sense at the time.

52 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

That's certainly my rule for the first round.   As much as I loved getting Sammy at the time, trading up in the first round is simply too expensive for any position other than QB.   Put another way, no non-QB is going to change your team so much that he's worth trading up for.   Now, of course, after the fact you can say that trading up would be worth it to get a JJ Watt or a Lawrence Taylor or someone of that caliber.   However, there are a lot more guys predicted to be the next Watt or Taylor than actually make it.  

If there is one position other than QB that it may be worth trading up for, that position would be middle linebacker.   That box is already checked.

I believe the only exception should be OT and DE. I would LOVE to see the Bills move up for Josh Allen. 

MLB does not have the same import in today's NFL IMO. QB's, guys who protect QB's, and guys who attack QB's. Those are your premium positions.

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

Do you normally talk in such literal terms?  If not, maybe you should stop.  

You do understand that this entire thing boils down to a difference of opinion right? I say you should only trade up if it’s for a QB and you got super annoyed by me using the word only. Whatever I guess. 

I think moving up for an edge rusher is a waste of draft picks.  Sweat has a heart issue and might drop because of that.  Burns out of Florida State is another potent edge rusher.  Rahan Gary doesn't have the production, but it's been suggested that was the way he was used.   He's bigger than Sweat, and doesn't have as much raw speed, but he's freakishly fast for his size.  The point is, if Buffalo wants an edge rusher, there are going to be outstanding options at #9.

20 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

You do understand that this entire thing boils down to a difference of opinion right? I say you should only trade up if it’s for a QB and you got super annoyed by me using the word only. Whatever I guess. 

Yes.  It’s my opinion that when you use a word (only, in this case) that makes your statement ridiculous, you should probably leave that word out.  The word only really makes your statement questionable

debates on the internet usually come down to difference of opinion.  

I think it is 80/20 they stay at #9 mostly due to a lack of a willing trade partner. Ideally AZ and the NYG take QBs and there is a bidding wat for #9 pick for Lock.

I would package a few late round picks for 2020 higher rounds. They don't need 10 draft picks to fill the 53 man roster. Probably only need 6 or 7 to make the 53.  Ideally they trade away two picks and draft 8. I doubt they take a QB late in the draft. If they do, I suspect they will just move Anderson to a coaching role.

19 hours ago, tombstone56 said:

with all the free agency moves apparently filling the most obvious holes ,the most glaring in now at de -edge rusher or olb in near future,, ,the highest rated being  BOSA,  and then ALLEN and SWEAT,  ,is it possible that they are setting up a move for either ALLEN OR SWEAT ? lately some mock draft seeing them both at picks 5-7, IMO  getting Allen would be game changer and Sweat reminds me of a young Charles Haley , I would welcome a move to get either one, your opinion?/ or  can we wait and have one come to 9?

I watched Sweat this season ,he is just getting better every game it seems, 

the way I see it adding ten more draft picks plus udfa's. would be a crowded camp.

some teams are so close to cap that more cuts still coming, ,I am curious who is still getting released either before or post draft, my understanding was teams needed 10 million set aside for draft , some teams are way under that the may have changed it but to sign them  the teams still has to find cap space, so more  cuts coming even before camps.

wish list for my draft goes like this.

1 sweat de or allen olb

2 dexter Lawrence dt  ,or  chris lindstrom og 

3 riley ridley, deebo Samuel or ,miles boykin,, wrs.

4 benny snell rb , olive sagapolu, dt  or beau benzschawel og

5 dieter ot or ,granderson olb , bryce love rb,,

any combination will keep me smiling this offseason

You have a good idea but White should be the target.