CB EJ Gaines 1 year deal

5 hours ago, Bills92 said:

Not sure if anybody else brought this up (Apologize if it has)  But Does anybody else think that Beane may be building up the secondary in order to trade Tre White for that superstar receiver or D-lineman that he has been linked too?  I know in the past, we have talked about interest in Julio Jones and Clowney....  I'm not saying he should do this.. just asking if folks on this board think this may be a possibility

Nope

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

What is lost in all that hyperbolic nonsense above is that the key is getting the player assessments right.

0-9 last UFA season.......including the strange "he wasn't who we thought he was" McCarron situation.......shows either questionable due diligence or medical or film evaluations.........so despite you implying that it was commendable work it most certainly was not.

I like the approach of using UFA to fill holes so that there isn't pressure to reach for needs in the draft.........but you still gotta' get good players.

Speaking of "hyperbolic nonsense", how about claiming "0-9" when Star Lotulelei was a key contributor to the Bills' number 2 defense, earning the praise of his coaches and teammates, and Trent Murphy earned a starting role and his only downfall was a struggle to stay healthy, and Chris Ivory was a key backup that contributed mightily to two Bills wins?

We see what we want to see, BADOL. 

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

I don't often agree with BADOL as I'm strangely optimistic when it comes to the BILLS.  But I will say, that I agree with him here in the sense that _maybe_ we got one good FA signing in Star.  To me, everyone else was _at best_ a marginally better than replacement level player.   I noticed it more, because in recent years we've actually done a pretty decent job of evaluating and bringing in some decent to very good players (our safeties, Lorax, etc)   

But not last year.  A pretty sour bunch.

We'll probably do better this year just because of volume, and not relying on any one player to make a difference. *fingers crossed*

Edited by Mark Long Beach
  • Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, JoeF said:

Good news.  Johnson will be available for half the games and Gaines for the other half.

Seriously, EJ was really good when on the field.

funny but true. Both very good players when healthy

Gaines was a baller. very nice.

9 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Triple nope

I think that McD understand that in order to win you have to stop good passing attacks......

You are only as good as your WORST corner when it comes to the passing game.

He battled the flu in mid season as well.I don't give a ***** what injections or meds the medical staff gives you...

The flu is the flu and no human being will be 100% when dealing with it.

McD mentioned he was "under the weather"...White said nothing because he doesn't want to be thought as a "buttercup".

They don't train them like that down in Baton Rouge.

20 minutes ago, Mark Long Beach said:

I don't often agree with BADOL as I'm strangely optimistic when it comes to the BILLS.  But I will say, that I agree with him here in the sense that _maybe_ we got one good FA signing in Star.  To me, everyone else was _at best_ a marginally better than replacement level player.   I noticed it more, because in recent years we've actually done a pretty decent job of evaluating and bringing in some decent to very good players (our safeties, Lorax, etc)   

But not last year.  A pretty sour bunch.

We'll probably do better this year just because of volume, and not relying on any one player to make a difference. *fingers crossed*

Last year was all about $$$$$, or lack thereof.

Even though Levi seemed to earn the job last year, I think they will make him earn it again. It's what they did with Milano, even though he was clearly better than Humber they kept on making him earn reps and it even seemed like the team was down on Milano at points in training camp. McDermott is going to make sure there is enough competition around to push Levi and the rest of the secondary. 

8 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

How can you not love the depth this team will now have? Beane is a wizard

Beane’s “vision” is really coming into focus, and it’s how championship teams are built.

Most NFL seasons come down to how well you can deal with injuries.  As Bills fans, we’ve seen too often how tough it can be when the backups are lower tier.  Especially in the secondary - a weak link can be exploited relentlessly and be the difference between a win and a loss.

15 minutes ago, Success said:

Beane’s “vision” is really coming into focus, and it’s how championship teams are built.

Most NFL seasons come down to how well you can deal with injuries.  As Bills fans, we’ve seen too often how tough it can be when the backups are lower tier.  Especially in the secondary - a weak link can be exploited relentlessly and be the difference between a win and a loss.

I don't quite share the rosy outlook, but I agree in principle. Even the TOP non QB's are generally worth a half a point a game. Strength across the board is a fine approach.

56 minutes ago, Success said:

Kevin Johnson was talced on IR in 2016.  In 2017, he missed games for MCL injury.  When he returned , he couldn't win his starting job back.  Then, in 2018, he was back on IR for a concussion i n WEEK 1.

Gaines missed his entire second season on IR for a foot fracture.  The next season he missed 5 more seasons.  Last year, he was IR by Nov 7th after his second concussion in 3 weeks.

That's a lot of injuries/games missed for the 2 newest signings in the secondary.

22 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Kevin Johnson was talced on IR in 2016.  In 2017, he missed games for MCL injury.  When he returned , he couldn't win his starting job back.  Then, in 2018, he was back on IR for a concussion i n WEEK 1.

Gaines missed his entire second season on IR for a foot fracture.  The next season he missed 5 more seasons.  Last year, he was IR by Nov 7th after his second concussion in 3 weeks.

That's a lot of injuries/games missed for the 2 newest signings in the secondary.

Just like the Bengals employ “character arbitrage,” Beane seems to use “injury arbitrage.”  Buying distressed assets only works if your medical evals are spot-on.  So far with the Bills I’ve seen little evidence of that.  I guess we’ll see.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Just like the Bengals employ “character arbitrage,” Beane seems to use “injury arbitrage.”  Buying distressed assets only works if your medical evals are spot-on.  So far with the Bills I’ve seen little evidence of that.  I guess we’ll see.

Little evidence of spot on medical evals?  I agree.

• Like (+1) 1