CB EJ Gaines 1 year deal

1 hour ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Galloday was in the zone that day.  Tre got beat several times IIRC.

And more Oline depth.

Yes Tre beat 2x for 70 yds by him that day.  I stand corrected.  Wallace was beat 4x by Galloday that day

26 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

The dead cap hit on Beasley after two seasons is only three million of things don't work out.  Morse we'd have to swallow 5.5 million after two years.  All these contracts are front loaded so we won't end up having to eat a contract like Dareus's (14.2 million in dead money last year).  This is how smart GM's spend money when their rookie QB is at the beginning of his rookie contract.

Man I don't know about that exact correlation.

Yes..........you should stack talent around a young QB.........that formula works.

But the consistencies in his two offseason with the Bills is that Beane has shopped in volume and almost exclusively in the scratch and dent aisle.

Last year he went 0-9 with that approach in UFA..........and as much as people talk those signings down NOW..........they loved them then.

Gotta' score with a bunch of these signings this time..........kinda' playing catch up after 100% whiffs in UFA last year(thankfully they hit on some UDFA's or it would have been uglier).

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yes..........you should stack talent around a young QB.........that formula works.

But the one consistency in his two offseason with the Bills is that Beane has shopped in volume and almost exclusively in the scratch and dent aisle.

Last year he went 0-9 with that approach in UFA..........and as much as people talk those signings down NOW..........they loved them then.

Gotta' score with a bunch of these signings this time..........kinda' playing catch up after 100% whiffs in UFA last year(thankfully they hit on some UDFA's or it would have been uglier).

I don't even remember signing anyone last year, except for Star.

23 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

Yes Tre beat 2x for 70 yds by him that day.  I stand corrected.  Wallace was beat 4x by Galloday that day

From what I recall, Stafford was just tossing-it-up to Golladay and he was making these circus catches that no one could have defended.  That was his best game all season.  And they still lost.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

That's actually the same value as his 2018 Cleveland contract............hopefully very little is guaranteed and a portion of the rest is incentives considering that he missed 10 games last year and only made a couple starts.    Most of Beane's deals this winter have looked better for the players on the surface than they actually are.     The risks on Morse and Beasley were the only significant ones.

I just hope this isn't another Percy Harvin situation. 

1 minute ago, BringBackFlutie said:

Oooooohhhhh yeahhhhh.  Also Ivory.

Meh.

Ultimately, I've concluded that there is NO Bills free agency approach that will please some Bills fans.

They didn't spend at all? "They're asleep at the wheel! Fire Beane!"

They spent big on premium players? "They're overpaying! You win through the draft! Fire Beane!"

They handed out short, modest contracts to role players and bargain free agents? "They're shopping in the bargain aisle! They have no eye for talent! Fire Beane!"

You're damned if you do, damned if you don't.

For what it's worth, even though no one asked me, I think the approach this front office takes to free agency is perfect. Identify 1-2 premium players each year and hand out big contracts to just those players. The rest of the way, fill holes with short term, low risk bargain or market level deals. Continue to build through the draft. Stockpile the majority of your cap allotment to re-sign your OWN draftees. Perfect.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

But the consistencies in his two offseason with the Bills is that Beane has shopped in volume and almost exclusively in the scratch and dent aisle.

As a general rule, you better hit on most of your free agent signings and draft picks or you'll be working for the XFL.  It doesn't take away from the fact that you structure these salaries so you won't be hamstrung in a couple years when you hopefully need to resign your draft picks.

3 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

As a general rule, you better hit on most of your free agent signings and draft picks or you'll be working for the XFL.  It doesn't take away from the fact that you structure these salaries so you won't be hamstrung in a couple years when you hopefully need to resign your draft picks.

The defense has been good, so they can at least hang their hats on that.  What they need for job security is for Josh to hit.  And then if he does, get them to a SB.

5 minutes ago, Logic said:

Ultimately, I've concluded that there is NO Bills free agency approach that will please some Bills fans.

They spent big on premium players? "They're overpaying! You win through the draft! Fire Beane!"

They handed out short, modest contracts to role players and bargain free agents? "They're shopping in the bargain aisle! They have no eye for talent! Fire Beane!"

For what it's worth, even though no one asked me, I think the approach this front office takes to free agency is perfect. Identify 1-2 premium players each year and hand out big contracts to just those players. The rest of the way, fill holes with short term, low risk bargain or market level deals. Continue to build through the draft. Stockpile the majority of your cap allotment to re-sign your OWN draftees. Perfect.

I like that idea.  That's how you HAVE to do it, I think.  High-priced free agents almost always underwhelm, and then you're stuck with their contract and you can't effectively build a roster.  You may as well get cheaper, still motivated FAs to fill some holes.  Then you can get that star talent in the draft, where you can pick the one that fits your scheme, they're young/moldable, and you don't have to pay them $100 mil contracts.

5 minutes ago, Logic said:

What is lost in all that hyperbolic nonsense above is that the key is getting the player assessments right.

0-9 last UFA season.......including the strange "he wasn't who we thought he was" McCarron situation.......shows either questionable due diligence or medical or film evaluations.........so despite you implying that it was commendable work it most certainly was not.

I like the approach of using UFA to fill holes so that there isn't pressure to reach for needs in the draft.........but you still gotta' get good players.

11 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

What is lost in all that hyperbolic nonsense above is that the key is getting the player assessments right.

0-9 last UFA season.......including the strange "he wasn't who we thought he was" McCarron situation.......shows either questionable due diligence or medical or film evaluations.........so despite you implying that it was commendable work it most certainly was not.

I like the approach of using UFA to fill holes so that there isn't pressure to reach for needs in the draft.........but you still gotta' get good players.

I mean, man, come on.  You can't complain about hyperbole and then call free agency "0-9."  Star was good, Ivory was good, Trent was good.  Even Bodine was good for what he was brought in to do.  

And nothing of what he said was hyperbole.  That is literally the state of the message board.  They really are damned if they do and damned if they don't.  

Edited by JoshAllenHasBigHands