CB EJ Gaines 1 year deal

12 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I like the addition based on past results......but once you get past the top 3 CB's the other guys gotta' be really good on ST's...........so barring injury or EJ out playing one of White, Johnson and Wallace.........EJ better be prepared to go back to covering kicks and not sure his injury history will allow for that.

Also don't see Kevin Johnson holding up on ST's and still being a viable CB option in event of injury.  

They will probably either crack the top 3 or not make it. 

For those wondering why the Bills are getting dibs on vets like Johnson and Gaines.......being able to play ST's is why teams usually don't employ older vets for the 4th or 5th CB spots.

Excellent point, and it is a little risky.  But the QUALITY is fantastic.  It may be very much worth the loss of one special teams player to have a high quality corner since the players AND the position is notoriously fragile.   It may mean that our depth for LB or safety is a little worse as we backfill those spots edged towards special teams.

Tre

EJ

Levi

Kevin Johnson

Taron Johnson

But honestly,  Our top 5 CB are CRAZY good.  I'll take it, I'll take it, I'll take it!!

Edited by Mark Long Beach
added top 5 names
  • Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Wallace was really good in coverage but he was overpowered by contact at the NFL level...........interceptions ripped from his hands...........plowed over in the run game.

Can't remember the game but after a particularly bad half of being manhandled he came out the next half and was throwing his body around hitting and after that he was clearly at least giving 100% effort in the physical aspect of the game...........but even so he is a very, very slender player so it's reasonable to question whether he has the build to hold up for every down play at the NFL level.

Dude works though.........he is an inspiration.........I think it's good to have plenty of backup though.

I feel like it was the Jacksonville game, but not 100% sure on that

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JoeF said:

Good news.  Johnson will be available for half the games and Gaines for the other half.

Seriously, EJ was really good when on the field.

Ad long as it’s well planned it should work! They better never both be on the field at the same time...  they’ll collide and shatter 

38 minutes ago, Bills92 said:

But Does anybody else think that Beane may be building up the secondary in order to trade Tre White

No.   When you find lock down corners, you don't trade them.    Especially when they're still on their first contract...

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

You know what would be the most Bills-y thing ever?  Gaines and Johnson colliding during training camp and concussing each other...

Like KellyToTasker said " take that voodoo back man, take it back!"

•  

8 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Ryan Lewis....big CB:

4.37 40

6.87 3 cone

Interested to see if he steps up in camp

Lewis started a handful of games for us last year, right? If memory serves me he played pretty well and the disappeared... he got a lot of hype. He was like the Levi Wallace before Levi Wallace last season.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Lewis started a handful of games for us last year, right? If memory serves me he played pretty well and the disappeared... he got a lot of hype. He was like the Levi Wallace before Levi Wallace last season.

https://buffalonews.com/2018/09/25/from-thrift-shop-to-starter-cb-ryan-lewis-shines-in-first-bills-start/

Ha, I found it!

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Great move for us and for him. He needs to stick with McDermott because it's the right fit for his abilities. 

Why didn't they bring him back last year?    

Even after they signed Vontae Davis they still had plenty of $ to pay Gaines for the pittance he signed for in Cleveland.   

Didn't end up mattering as it was a lost season due to the offense.........but it seemed a strange turn of events.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

There is no unit on this team that is below average right now except QB and DL. We are in a perfect position to just go BPA. That said, I'd like a beast to replace Kyle and another OL as well as Lo's replacement and a good pass rusher, but we can just let it fall to us.

WR and TE are big ‘?’ Still

RB is below average in terms of youthful energy.

Irrespective of that Beane’s MOis clear. Fill the roster holes with value players on team friendly deals. BPA in draft and if you like a player and can get there in an affordable manner, get it done. 

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Why didn't they bring him back last year?    

Even after they signed Vontae Davis they still had plenty of $ to pay Gaines for the pittance he signed for in Cleveland.   

Didn't end up mattering as it was a lost season due to the offense.........but it seemed a strange turn of events.

I feel like he probably wanted too much money. We moved on and he had to settle for way less than he thought he would get. Now he's getting less again. I put that on him, so when he's ready to cash in after another awesome year this year, he needs to think about that imo. But great fit all around. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Wallace was really good in coverage but he was overpowered by contact at the NFL level...........interceptions ripped from his hands...........plowed over in the run game.

Can't remember the game but after a particularly bad half of being manhandled he came out the next half and was throwing his body around hitting and after that he was clearly at least giving 100% effort in the physical aspect of the game...........but even so he is a very, very slender player so it's reasonable to question whether he has the build to hold up for every down play at the NFL level.

Dude works though.........he is an inspiration.........I think it's good to have plenty of backup though.

At least adding muscle/strength isn't something he can't achieve. Even if he doesn't retain the starting gig he's great depth.

39 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

Having four good corners for the D is some sort of a minimum anyhow.  I was hoping EJ Gaines might come back as he was good in this D.  He will have a head start over Johnson, as he already has a year in this D.  In fact, having even 5 corners is not a bad idea.

Their secondary remains the strongest unit on the team, probably. Tre' White and Taron Johnson are probably penciled in to start with Kevin Johnson, Levi Wallace, and EJ Gaines vying for the other starting spot. 

19 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

..no need to risk him in December............

Buffalo Bills cornerback Ryan Lewis exits game with head injury

The Bills are now working with just four healthy corners

By Dylan Zadonowicz@DylanZadonowicz Dec 9, 2018, 2:30pm EST

Buffalo Bills cornerback, Ryan Lewis, exited the game in the second quarter and is now being evaluated for a head injury. Buffalo is down to four cornerbacks once again, but near the end of the first half, Lewis reappeared on the sideline with his helmet in his hand.

Lewis is the third corner on the roster now with rookie Taron Johnson out with a shoulder injury. Over the course of the season, Lewis and Levi Wallace have traded chances as the starting corner on the opposite side of Tre’Davious White.