Josh Allen, Sicko Mode !!!

1 hour ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

The thing is, too, his injury last year happened while sitting in the pocket.

Hindsight seems to be is that it was a good thing as he needed that time just to step back a bit.

Mmmm, maybe?

1) Josh took a big-time lickin' against Green Bay.  7 sacks and I don't know how many hits.

2) next week against the Titans, the Bills had a notably run-dominant game plan.  43 rush attempts to only 19 pass attempts by Allen - almost as if Allen's passing was limited and they designed the game plan to give him a break

3) following week, Allen takes a helmet to his elbow that doesn't look that severe of a hit - but could easily have exacerbated an existing injury to "shut him down" point

So was it a freak injury, or was Allen actually injured when he was beaten to a pulp in Green Bay, they designed a game plan to protect him and let him play himself healthy vs Tenn, and Houston exacerbated something?

Conspiracy theories aside, it's a point that some of the biggest hits QBs take, they take in the pocket especially if the Zebras keep the laundry in their pockets on late or marginal hits.  Certainly Sam Bradford would be a textbook example of a guy who has been injured repeatedly doing what a pocket QB does.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BringBackFlutie said:

Honestly, that's what I noticed in his very first preseason game, and I've been sold ever since.  On his first drop back I saw poise.  When he drops back, he is immediately focused.  No dear in headlights look to him like we've seen with basically every other Bills QB the past 15 years not named Fitzpatrick.  His head is down and he's working the play.  While he sits there, he never stays still- he chops his feet and points towards each read.  When he makes a decision, the ball is out FAST.  While he moves around, he makes sudden movements, and he runs around a lot, but he never looks panicked.  He actually looks in control.  Like, you get the feeling that if he can't get it done, nobody can.  He just LOOKS like a QB when he plays.  These are things that you can't easily teach.  I think that Josh is going to be special.  Not just because he has the talent and he works hard, but he is a true QB, which means he has a template to fill with all that hard work.

Yep. It's hard to teach, and I noticed it in the panthers game too. It's almost easy to take for granted, until you see all the young QBs who don't have it. As a Bills fan, I've seen too many.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

The thing is, too, his injury last year happened while sitting in the pocket.

Hindsight seems to be is that it was a good thing as he needed that time just to step back a bit.

Good point.

The so-called "pocket" behind the Bills line was the least safe place for a QB to hang around last year.

For a QB used to doing it all, it will be an interesting growth year for Josh if things gel and he has the support tools around him he has rarely had. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Gisele said:

Thanks.  Nothing is gonna get done at work today.

Luckily, I'm retired so I plan on watching it until, oh...about dinner time..  I don't know if Allen is going to be great, but the kid is the first quarterback since Elway who makes me want to see more.  Can't wait for 2019 season!!!  

2 hours ago, BringBackFlutie said:

While he sits there, he never stays still- he chops his feet and points towards each read.   

This is why that last play against Miami where Clay failed to make the catch was great. Josh always keeps the feet going, making him more elusive than a normal tall pocket QB.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Mmmm, maybe?

1) Josh took a big-time lickin' against Green Bay.  7 sacks and I don't know how many hits.

2) next week against the Titans, the Bills had a notably run-dominant game plan.  43 rush attempts to only 19 pass attempts by Allen - almost as if Allen's passing was limited and they designed the game plan to give him a break

3) following week, Allen takes a helmet to his elbow that doesn't look that severe of a hit - but could easily have exacerbated an existing injury to "shut him down" point

So was it a freak injury, or was Allen actually injured when he was beaten to a pulp in Green Bay, they designed a game plan to protect him and let him play himself healthy vs Tenn, and Houston exacerbated something?

Conspiracy theories aside, it's a point that some of the biggest hits QBs take, they take in the pocket especially if the Zebras keep the laundry in their pockets on late or marginal hits.  Certainly Sam Bradford would be a textbook example of a guy who has been injured repeatedly doing what a pocket QB does.

Great post, as ususal!

Hap, did you see the Tweet (I forget from who) where it was said that Allen was sacked 17 times within 2.5 seconds of the snap of the ball?

Jeepers, man, I know he is still a kid, but let's keep making those moves to make sure he stays upright.

I really still want him to make yards with his feet, but I would prefer if he worked harder at getting out of bounds and also slid maybe a step or two sooner than normal to avoid the Kikos of the league.

4 hours ago, BringBackFlutie said:

Honestly, that's what I noticed in his very first preseason game, and I've been sold ever since.  On his first drop back I saw poise.  When he drops back, he is immediately focused.  No dear in headlights look to him like we've seen with basically every other Bills QB the past 15 years not named Fitzpatrick.  His head is down and he's working the play.  While he sits there, he never stays still- he chops his feet and points towards each read.  When he makes a decision, the ball is out FAST.  While he moves around, he makes sudden movements, and he runs around a lot, but he never looks panicked.  He actually looks in control.  Like, you get the feeling that if he can't get it done, nobody can.  He just LOOKS like a QB when he plays.  These are things that you can't easily teach.  I think that Josh is going to be special.  Not just because he has the talent and he works hard, but he is a true QB, which means he has a template to fill with all that hard work.

I agree with 95% of what u said he just needs to learn to trust his pocket and step up more sometimes.  He leaves the pocket a little too early and that's a prb he had since college. 

If he can just get that pocket awareNess and become more of a 85 -15 guy he can be seriously good.  85-15 = 85% passer,  15% runner

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BillsFan1988 said:

I agree with 95% of what u said he just needs to learn to trust his pocket and step up more sometimes.  He leaves the pocket a little too early and that's a prb he had since college. 

If he can just get that pocket awareNess and become more of a 85 -15 guy he can be seriously good.  85-15 = 85% passer,  15% runner

I agree with you- he leaves the pocket early and he has done that since college.  However, I think his general pocket awareness is already very good, and that he tends not to trust what he's feeling because of repeated cases of early pocket breakdown (both in college and now).  If we want him to hang out in the pocket a bit longer (or more consistently), we need to develop that O-Line.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

why, oh why, must EVERY highlight video be accompanied by garbage auto-tune "music?"

That video is a few weeks old and I had seen it. Very very good on mute indeed LOL

Video creators can do what they want, but I'm sure they actually edit and post these to share with people. Well, it's pretty safe to say 95% of the viewers are Bills and NFL fans... like them. But far far from that % will be fans of this kind of music, it's not what make us bond or watch this, so they should avoid it IMO. But I have sometimes read by modifying the soundtrack it makes less likely for the video to be banned. But yeah, Football has a sound of its own I'd rather hear than this "music".

7 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Love it!!! This kid simply has "winner" written all over him. 

Am still amazed there's a clip of #13 KB being convinced to catch a pass in some space anywhere though ;)

I suspect they bribed him with extra orange slices at halftime! 

It actually did look funny to me, because burned into my brain are all the crappy plays. 

2 hours ago, CSBill said:

There was actually video evidence of Kelvin Benjamin getting open for a pass last season! Who knew?

I suspect somebody fell down...... that’s all I got.....

AND THEN HE CAUGHT IT! 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I suspect they bribed him with extra orange slices at halftime! 

It actually did look funny to me, because burned into my brain are all the crappy plays. 

I suspect somebody fell down...... that’s all I got.....

AND THEN HE CAUGHT IT! 

Likely they scouted him and just decided not to cover the slow guy with a T-Rex catching radius.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, WideNine said:

Likely they scouted him and just decided not to cover the slow guy with a T-Rex catching radius.

He was the one guy the other team decided needed no company out by the three point line. I saw some of that this weekend. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

What’s better is that he will get better.  Talk about a player with a wealth of talent.

Correct - last year we likely saw the worst of Josh, with his inexperience and the lack of talent around him. Thinking about the future....mmmm...mmmm...oh yeah! ?

• Like (+1) 2