Bills showing strong interest in Oklahoma G Dru Samia

I find this quote very interesting:

Anyone who doesn’t start off their scouting report by saying that guard Dru Samia plays with a mean streak has already failed to pinpoint his most dominant trait. He is an alpha who doesn’t back down from anyone. Sure, the entire line plays with that mentality, but Samia is on another level. He is probably the least-heralded guy on the Sooners’ offensive line, but when you turn the film on he stands out, and it starts with his attitude. He plays as if he hates anyone in an opposing jersey and will punish them through the whistle. 

Over the past year, there have been a half dozen times or more when McDermott or Beane or both (I don't recall who said it or when) said something about the Buffalo Bills are going to be known as a team that (and I'm paraphrasing) punishes people, that doesn't back down from anyone, that outhits every team in the league.  They've said things like that.  

Then you see little things, like the Bills are interested in this guy, whose most outstanding trait is that he has that attitude.  You see most many guys from last season's offensive line gone, but Teller, whose physicality stands out, remaining on the roster.   You see guys like Duke Williams and Cole Beasley signed, who have demonstrated that they like to hit people and who play with an edge.   When I watched Duke Williams video, his intensity reminded me of Hines Ward.  

Among the things that I like about McBeane is that this point is not lost on them.   You can scheme all you want, you can collect superstar talents, you can talk about teamwork, togetherness and the process, but if you aren't going to hit people, block ferociously and tackle relentlessly, you aren't going to win consistently. 

I think that's a point that's often overlooked about the Patriots - they are physically tough.  They hit all the time, and they tackle effectively.   One of the things that made the Super Bowl so competitive this year was that the Rams came out prepared to hit the Pats as hard as the Pats hit them.   It was a dog-fight from the beginning.  

I like that McBeane seem focused on this attribute as they assemble the team.  

14 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Not surprising...he's got a very similar play style to Feliciano, who coach Johnson really likes.

Oh, yeah, that was one of the things that's been mentioned about Feliciano.   His signing was one of the recent times this notion - intense physicality - was mentioned.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, nucci said:

but is he a process guy....apparently that's a thing

I don't know if you're joking, but that IS the thing.   McBeane are looking only for guys who fit their mold, and those are guys who fit the process.   

That's why the interviews are so important to McBeane.   They want to assess whether the guy will work daily at improving as well as whether the guy likes to hit people.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I don't know if you're joking, but that IS the thing.   McBeane are looking only for guys who fit their mold, and those are guys who fit the process.   

That's why the interviews are so important to McBeane.   They want to assess whether the guy will work daily at improving as well as whether the guy likes to hit people.

They looked in to trading for Brown and according to many here, he's not a process guy...it doesn't mean anything....at least to me

Edited by nucci

3 minutes ago, nucci said:

Of course not...I would never imply that......Come on

Without trying to come off as some douche who thinks he knows it all but for whatever its worth, I was a part of sports program that were perennial state champions back 25 years ago and to this day they still are.   The common thread is that there absolutely is a culture, and with that culture there is a process.  That's the only way you can have sports programs that are consistent winners to have the success that they do which is to have a culture of success.  That culture of success looks for certain type of individuals that have the "DNA" makeup that they are looking for and it all starts with the sport directors and coaches.  They are taught to coach in a certain manner, to run the practices in a certain manner and it is all regimented.  

People in my opinion who scoff at the meaning of "process" just haven't been a part of successful sports programs.  Because anyone who has and I don't mean a successful season, I mean a program that is consistently successful understands that without the process and without the culture, the success doesn't happen.

2 minutes ago, nucci said:

They looked in to trading for Brown and according to many here, he's not a process guy...it doesn't mean anything....at least to me

It means a lot to me.   I've listened to McBeane a lot, and I think I understand the process, at least in broad outline.   It's very specific, and McBeane don't want to bother with guys who aren't willing to work within their system.  

As for Brown, I think I get it.   Beane said whenever there is exceptional talent available, you have to inquire about it.   I think what happened is that they inquired about Brown and concluded that they could reach an agreement with the Steelers, if they could also reach an agreement with Brown.   Reaching an agreement with Brown would include getting a sense of whether he would work within the process.   Apparently, almost as soon as they reached out to Brown, they realized either Brown wanted too much money or Brown just didn't want to be in Buffalo.   If he didn't want to be in Buffalo, then he obviously isn't buying the process.   Assuming I'm right about this, what Beane did made sense - pursue the guy until you find out enough about him to know he isn't a fit.  

3 minutes ago, Magox said:

Without trying to come off as some douche who thinks he knows it all but for whatever its worth, I was a part of sports program that were perennial state champions back 25 years ago and to this day they still are.   The common thread is that there absolutely is a culture, and with that culture there is a process.  That's the only way you can have sports programs that are consistent winners to have the success that they do which is to have a culture of success.  That culture of success looks for certain type of individuals that have the "DNA" makeup that they are looking for and it all starts with the sport directors and coaches.  They are taught to coach in a certain manner, to run the practices in a certain manner and it is all regimented.  

People in my opinion who scoff at the meaning of "process" just haven't been a part of successful sports programs.  Because anyone who has and I don't mean a successful season, I mean a program that is consistently successful understands that without the process and without the culture, the success doesn't happen.

I think you're exactly right.   Exactly.   

Geno Auriemma, who coaches the UConn women's team, says he regularly stops recruiting a kid with super talent as soon as he understands she isn't willing to commit to his process.  

1 hour ago, nucci said:

Antonio Brown is a well known workout fiend.  No one ever questioned whether he puts effort into honing his craft and fitness.  That fits squarely inside the process 

• Like (+1) 1

I am in no way an expert but I watched a few of his games and thought he looked more like a 7th Round-Priority UDFA.    He is incredibly slow, and for being called nasty got blown off the ball quite a bit.   Doesnt play with leverage at all, and had a really hard time against good opponents.   The Ohio State game from 2017 is especially poor.

On 3/24/2019 at 10:24 PM, Rico said:

Looks like a thug. I approve.

In all seriousness, what makes him look like a thug? I'm not criticizing you; I actually want to know. Women love thugs, and I'd like to look more like one.

Is it the tattoos? The headgear? The sloppy beard? The facial expression? All of the above?

On 3/25/2019 at 8:22 AM, DCOrange said:

I think he goes in the 2nd or 3rd at the end of the day and I would love for him to be one of our picks. 

I almost wonder if this is a smokescreen though because they’re literally exposing that they’re interested in him with every possible opportunity. 

I don't think anyone really bothers with smokescreens for mid-to-late picks.