Help...I've got too much wood!

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

My brother drove a coke truck (coal) out of Tonawanda Coke.  I think in W.Pa... He had a wild turkey crash through his window. Landed dead on his passenger seat.  Feathers everywhere!

Oh... I think it's a "troop" of turkeys.  But mob is cool too!  

WKRP in Cincinnati.......”as God is my witness, I thought they could fly!”

Somebody more inspired and adept may add that classic clip here. Haha! 

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

WKRP in Cincinnati.......”as God is my witness, I thought they could fly!”

Somebody more inspired and adept may add that classic clip here. Haha! 

I'd say Top 5, if NOT best ever episode on TV!  LoL...

I think they do kinda fly... But really low to ground.  Minivan grill and truck windshield height!

The Big Guy, Mr. Carlson was half right... Except domestic Butterballs® are couch potatoes:

"Despite their weight, wild turkeys, unlike their domesticated counterparts, are agile, fast fliers. In ideal habitat of open woodland or wooded grasslands, they may fly beneath the canopy top and find perches. They usually fly close to the ground for no more than 400 m (a quarter mile)."

7 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

What an idiot, why didn't he just break the bottle?

He was from Honduras?  He had too much wood?  Couldn't speak English.  

Now He lost his -ecker in the process!  

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

2 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Pulled down the deck this weekend (Amherst, NY). Highway department says they do not schedule special pickups and will only take 40-50 lbs per week curbside. The old deck was 230 SQ ft pressure treated lumber so it would take forever to get rid of it that way. 

Can't burn because of stain and chemicals. 

Looking to unload somewhere for free as I struggle morally to pay for something i'm getting rid of.  

Anyone have a similar experience or a woodchuck I could borrow? 

Have you looked into a bagster? Guardcompany may work for you.  Or, rent a uhaul and take it over to the dump on North Forest? I honestly have no idea how much debris was generated from your deck, so these are just ideas.

Ripped down an old Fanta Sea pool.  Can’t believe how much wood went into making it.

Wanted it gone fast so I took a huge pickup truck load of it to a Modern site near Orchard park. $80 to dump it.  Would have taken a couple more truckloads to get rid of the rest.  Ended up burning what wasn’t stained or pressure treated.  Lastly, cut up the rest and tied it up, took six weeks of dumping it at the curb to get rid of the rest.

Where I live I have to pay for garbage disposal, and they wouldn’t allow free dumping at their sites.  Did you call Amherst and see if you could dump it for free?

Edited by davefan66

11 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

“Can’t burn because of stain and chemicals”. LOL LOL LOL LOL

Right? Who's gonna stop him? The burn police??

Burn that bad boy. I burned an old, mold-riddled hutch that had been sitting in a shed for years this past weekend.

10 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

No..he shouldn't burn the wood,he would be looking at a 5k fine. Codes are tougher up there in the northern 'burbs because of the Tonawanda Coke closure.

That should do with the location no?  

If you have a good size yard you should be able to burn wood in a fire pit a little bit at a time.   1 - just don't get too close.  2  - don't cook on it.

If you have 5 or more acres ..... A  bon fire when it's allowed - There are No Burn designated times in VA.  

Do these "chemical police" fine you if your house burns down?  

10 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Have you looked into a bagster? Guardcompany may work for you.  Or, rent a uhaul and take it over to the dump on North Forest? I honestly have no idea how much debris was generated from your deck, so these are just ideas.

You missed the part where he said he was too cheap, sorry 'struggles morally' to pay to get rid of things......

3 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

You missed the part where he said he was too cheap, sorry 'struggles morally' to pay to get rid of things......

Well, he can haul several loads in his pick-up truck or SUV to the dump. That is free with ID.

Link 

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Right? Who's gonna stop him? The burn police??

Burn that bad boy. I burned an old, mold-riddled hutch that had been sitting in a shed for years this past weekend.

Actually, they are called By-Law Officers around here, or even Police Officers in some areas can ticket for burning where it's not allowed. Fire Department gets called they can also fine too in some cases. They take things seriously further into the summer when there isnt as much rain and everything's dry. Most Cities are getting stricter with their open fire by-laws these days.

Just bring the wood inside I

And burn in a fire place, the fumes will give you a nice buzz that's cheaper then buying drugs.....

When I was a kid my dad used to burn our old Christmas tree and leaves in the spring/summer in the back yard. Neighbors called a few times cause they thought the garage was on fire. Usually got a warning as a first offence, then threatened with a fine if they came out again.

Just now, apuszczalowski said:

Actually, they are called By-Law Officers around here, or even Police Officers in some areas can ticket for burning where it's not allowed. Fire Department gets called they can also fine too in some cases. They take things seriously further into the summer when there isnt as much rain and everything's dry. Most Cities are getting stricter with their open fire by-laws these days.

Just bring the wood inside I

And burn in a fire place, the fumes will give you a nice buzz that's cheaper then buying drugs.....

When I was a kid my dad used to burn our old Christmas tree and leaves in the spring/summer in the back yard. Neighbors called a few times cause they thought the garage was on fire. Usually got a warning as a first offence, then threatened with a fine if they came out again.

Don't have that problem where I live. It's pretty rural.

9 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Well, he can haul several loads in his pick-up truck or SUV to the dump. That is free with ID.

Link 

I didnt see anywhere saying it was free to the dump, but reading that list, man you are lucky with what they pick up. Up here they wont take anything curbside that's viewed as 'construction waste'. That stuff has to be taken directly to the dump if you dont get a private bin. We also have a one can/bag limit, or else you have to put a $2 tag/sticker on each bag over that and they have even been talking about switching to 2 week pickup, and requiring clear bags so they can see if you are throwing out items that can be recycled.....

The only thing I refuse to take to the dump and pay for is metal items, i take those to a scrap yard and get money to get rid of it.

Assuming that some of the wood is in good shape; perhaps the joists and any 2x4s or 2x6s that are still viable, Buffalo ReUse will come and pick them up. I took down a large swing set assembly last year as well as a large section of deck and they came and picked up all of the wood as long as it is not rotted.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/25/2019 at 9:01 AM, apuszczalowski said:

Who wants to pay for getting rid of *****? 

I already do that with my taxes. 

On 3/25/2019 at 8:08 AM, ShadyBillsFan said:

That should do with the location no?  

If you have a good size yard you should be able to burn wood in a fire pit a little bit at a time.   1 - just don't get too close.  2  - don't cook on it.

If you have 5 or more acres ..... A  bon fire when it's allowed - There are No Burn designated times in VA.  

Do these "chemical police" fine you if your house burns down?  

I live in a very populated neighborhood. It's also not good for the environment to burn. The pressure treated chemicals make that a no-no. 

On 3/25/2019 at 8:38 AM, frostbitmic said:

I'm sure Bob Kraft could direct him to someplace that'll solve that problem for him.

Me love you long time

On 3/24/2019 at 9:58 PM, Augie said:

Possibly build a pen for you newly acquired herd of llamas? Explain to you neighbors that it might be loud for a while, and they might volunteer to take care of your wood for you. Just an idea.  

Perfect! 

On 3/25/2019 at 9:02 AM, Buffalo_Gal said:

Link 

Thanks. I tried calling but can't get a clear answer. I'm going to drive over before I load up my truck to be sure they'll take it.