Patriots weak at skill positions

With Gronk retiring and other major free agent loses the Patriots will be much weaker and vulnerable next year.

I reviewed Sportac NFL link and looked at the current TE and WR on the roster and it's worse then what the Bills had last year.

Of course the Patriots do have 6 picks in the first three rounds to rebuild, but also have serious holes to fill.

One Bills point in this is that we can assume Hockenson, Fant and Irv Smith will all be drafted in Round 1.  I believe this may alter the approach in the rest of free agency and in the draft.  My feeling is that the Bills make a move at DT now in FA, maybe even offering a pick for TB 3 technique tackle Gerald McCoy.  With the Bucs in dire cap status, they could move him to the Bills and pick up 13 million in cap space.  That would free up the Bills to draft a TE in round 1, if a trade down is viable select Hockenson (all purpose) or Fant (major downfield threat) with their first round pick and then BPA thru the rest of the draft.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, gobills1212 said:

Uhh, this makes me wonder what NE team YOU'VE  been watching for the past 7 yrs?!??

I've been watching the team with Gronk, Walker, Hogan, Cooks, Amendola etc.  How many of them are left.

Thats my point

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RPbillsfan said:

I've been watching the team with Gronk, Walker, Hogan, Cooks, Amendola etc.  How many of them are left.

Thats my point

Clearly you havent my friend lol. Thats the point.

To a degree, it doesnt matter - next man up as long as TB and BB are there. 

Edited by gobills1212
  • Like (+1) 2

Losing Gronk is definitely a blow to the Patsies. But, unfortunately, since they still have Belichick and Brady I fully expect them to adapt and hardly miss a beat. 

Ive heard way too many times now that the Pats were going to struggle after losing (fill in the blank) and it has yet to really happen. So I’ll believe it when I see it at this point.

It does have to happen eventually though. I’d love for this to be the year it does, but I’m not holding my breath. 

• Like (+1) 2

The key point in the topic is if the Bills were considering a TE in round 2, the three best will probably be drafted by pick 40.

The FA TE market is now dried up.  There is quality talent left at DT such as Suh and Wilkerson and the X factor of Gerald McCoy in Tampa possibly available in trade due to cap concerns.

To me, it seems that the Bills may alter their plans in the balance of pre-draft FA and may affect their draft plans.

I think we've conditioned ourselves to believe this is never going to end and Tom will indeed beat time. I can assure you that he will not.

While losing Gronk is a blow, I think they've been better without him than with him if memory serves. As long as Pedelman is around, I don't think they'll have a problem in terms of finding skill position players to match the EP system. 

It's not going to be the lack of skill position players that brings down this dynasty. It's going to be time. And the clock is nearing midnight.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, LSHMEAB said:

I think we've conditioned ourselves to believe this is never going to end and Tom will indeed beat time. I can assure you that he will not.

While losing Gronk is a blow, I think they've been better without him than with him if memory serves. As long as Pedelman is around, I don't think they'll have a problem in terms of finding skill position players to match the EP system. 

It's not going to be the lack of skill position players that brings down this dynasty. It's going to be time. And the clock is nearing midnight.

This^ Gronk was really a shell of his former self, and he frequently missed games the past few seasons. It definitely hurts the Pats, but he was no longer a reliable elite TE. That offense is more about controlling the line of scrimmage in the run game with Edelman moving the chains. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SirAndrew said:

This^ Gronk was really a shell of his former self, and he frequently missed games the past few seasons. It definitely hurts the Pats, but he was no longer a reliable elite TE. That offense is more about controlling the line of scrimmage in the run game with Edelman moving the chains. 

Yes with Gronk doing amazing blocking, who's gonna do that now

• Like (+1) 1

Must be groundhog day again!  Every every flippin year its predicted the end will happen next coming season etc etc etc.....no it will not....Marcia & Co (whoever the Company is with him) will win the AFCE as usual....stroll into the playoffs as usual....and there is a very very good chance they will go to the SB as usual......Ive seen this movie way too many times.....the end will be a reality when Princess officially announces his retirement.....