Patriots weak at skill positions

1 hour ago, SirAndrew said:

Brady is still very good, and he shows up when it matters most (ex. AFC playoffs). My issue is the fact that almost everyone in the sports world wants to give Brady 100 percent of the credit for the Pats recent success. There is so much more to that team than just Brady at this point. I also understand that it’s an unpopular opinion. Belichick is an all time great who coaches up that defense every season. He is also been able to exploit every weakness of his opponent each week. 

The offense also benefited from being a great running team this season. Right at a time when the running game seemed all but extinct in the NFL, the Pats came along and become a ball control offense. It was a brilliant coaching job of going against everything that the modern NFL is trending towards. NFL defenses in this era are built to stop spread offense. The Pats established the line of scrimmage and that opened up a lot for Brady. When you have the goat behind center, the last thing opponents want to see is a strong run game. Brady deserves a ton of credit, but I don’t see him as the sole reason for the Pats success. I think they’d drop off significantly without him, but I’m also willing to say that he has declined. The issue is that a declining Brady can still win games, especially with so much help from the run game. 

You're absolutely right that he had a lot of help. It seems like many people think Brady had a terrible year and, to use the idiot Kellerman's words is "on the verge of falling off the cliff." They judge his season simply from the SB, but forget the the 2 games prior. 

54 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

The td/int ratio is SO deceiving. How many times did he get them down to within the five and then hand it off on the next play for a td? Td drives engineered is a better stat for him this year given their run first approach inside the 10.

To prove your point, Brady had 2 TDS to 3 INTs in the playoffs. Not great, yet NE scored 91 points. 11 total offensive TDs

• Like (+1) 1

No mention of Sony Michel, James White or Rex Burkhead? Their backfield is way better than ours. Edelman and White are both more dynamic playmakers than anybody on our roster, and Michel could be a top AFC back this year. I hate the Pats too, but no. They’ll be fine.

5 hours ago, ricko1112 said:

Here are Brady's stats for last season: He completed 65.8% of his passes for 4355 yards, 29 TDs, 11 INTs for a 97.7 rating. In the playoffs: He completed 68% of his passes for 953 yards (250 more than #2 Goff). The passed for 50 1st downs (15 more than #2) and had 14 pass plays that went for more than 20 yards (4 more than #2). People look at the 2 TDs to 3 INT ratio as the basis for the "decline."  They scored 91 points (29 more than #2). Most teams would take those declining stats for their QB. 

He wasn’t the same guy last year.  I speak as a fan who has lived in fear of Brady for over 15 years.

He wasn’t scary last year.  He skipped and floated more passes than I’ve ever seen out if him.  He has lost his long ball.  He gets by on his smarts, which are the best in the league - but not enough.

His D won the SB, and his top weapon this season will be a 33 year old slot guy.

3 hours ago, Success said:

He wasn’t the same guy last year.  I speak as a fan who has lived in fear of Brady for over 15 years.

He wasn’t scary last year.  He skipped and floated more passes than I’ve ever seen out if him.  He has lost his long ball.  He gets by on his smarts, which are the best in the league - but not enough.

His D won the SB, and his top weapon this season will be a 33 year old slot guy.

Hey, I hear you. Look, we Pats fans know Brady only has 2, maybe 3 years left at most. Last season was considered a down year, but his stats were still some of the best in the league in just about every category. Most teams would have loved if their QB played as well. 

What I saw is that NE often played down to their competition last year. All 5 losses came against non-playoff teams. Ugly football sometimes... He was still the GOAT in the biggest moments of the biggest games. BB will be drafting his successor this year. Will Grier's name has come up several times. In Bill we trust...

When both Tom and Bill are gone, I shudder to think...

5 hours ago, Nelius said:

No mention of Sony Michel, James White or Rex Burkhead? Their backfield is way better than ours. Edelman and White are both more dynamic playmakers than anybody on our roster, and Michel could be a top AFC back this year. I hate the Pats too, but no. They’ll be fine.

You have probably heard this quote before, but it was Bum Phillips talking about Bear Bryant, "Bryant can take his'n and beat your'n, and then he can turn around and take your'n and beat his'n." If he had been the HC of any of last season's playoff teams, that team would have had the best chance to win the SB. As long as Belichick is the HC of the NE Pats, we'll be competitive. 

12 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

They win a lot but 13/19 seasons of Brady and Bill someone else won the Lombardi.

We don't need Brady to retire to win. Other teams have done it.

Good point, and it really should have been 15/19. Seahawks and Falcons were epically dumb. 

54 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

They win a lot but 13/19 seasons of Brady and Bill someone else won the Lombardi.

We don't need Brady to retire to win. Other teams have done it.

You do if you want to get there. It also helps if once you get there you score more than 3pts.

3 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

It's a funny point but 50% of the time someone other than them represents the AFC

You've got to update your avatar! 

Ya havent found a 6 trophy pic yet.

I like to think of it as 75% of the time they have had a chance to win it.