Patriots weak at skill positions

9 hours ago, TheBeane said:

That they did, and your point? Not saying they're first to worst, but I said BEGINNING OF THE END.

Also, this definitely won't happen to the Pats, but there are plenty of examples of teams declining a year after winning the super bowl.

@Virgil Troll much???

You got me.  Just a little troll looking for some troll love. 

Btw, give me an example where the Pats won a Super Bowl and then fell off the next year. Just one example in all their years going to the big game.  

Even when they lost big name players. 

This little troll will be over in my cave waiting 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, TigerJ said:

What about the New England running game?  Toward the end of last season, and through the playoffs, that's what New England relied on more than passing.  And of course, they also have Edelman, and nobody has yet figured out how to cover him in the short and intermediate passing game.  This thread kind of sounds like another angle to assert that Buffalo should draft Hockenson at #9.  I still don't buy it.  

Yeppp New England's going to be fine at the skill positions. And they don't need to (and can't) replace one of the best TEs ever. They had great offenses before getting the 2TEs and should be fine after.

All comes down to Brady's age affecting his play. Getting Sony Michel was great as I think they're really going to use him a lot next year. Preserve Brady for the 4th after 3 quarters of running it down the team's throat. 

They got worse certainly, but Brady's won a ton of games with Gronk out with injury. Doubt they go TE in the first. I'm guessing DB or front 7.

... It sucks! Act like your age Tom.

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P

14 hours ago, XABI64 said:

lol they have been without Gronk for long stretches of the season and still go to the superbowl every year, or at least the AFC title game. 

as long as Brady/Bill are there nothing else literally matters. 

While the Pats*** have done well w/o Gronk, they did not perform to their dominate level last year w/o Gronk.  And without Gronk, they don't win the SB.  

I'll also add that with Oliver and/or Simmons (draft both if you can) chasing Brady around next year, he won't have time to be throwing the ball, and Sony won't have anywhere to run.  

Plus, Edmunds and Milano could both be Pro-Bowl caliber players next year.  

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

Btw, give me an example where the Pats won a Super Bowl and then fell off the next year. Just one example in all their years going to the big game.  

Well obviously you didn't read what I wrote before...  I said this WON'T HAPPEN to the Patriots this year... However I'll repeat for the third time, it feels like the BEGINNING OF THE END.  Did I say it was the end?  Don't think so.  They still have Brady and Belichick, they will continue to be good. 

So yes, you are a troll in a cave looking for some love.

they-have-a-cave-troll_o_398845.jpg

Shyeah, right.  How many times over the years do we hear about an OL going down and we're like "Maybe this time we'll get to Brady, how good could that backup OL be?"  Until we beat the Evil Empire at the DeathStar in Foxboro, don't give me this "The Cheats are weak" bull####.

47 minutes ago, TheBeane said:

Well obviously you didn't read what I wrote before...  I said this WON'T HAPPEN to the Patriots this year... However I'll repeat for the third time, it feels like the BEGINNING OF THE END.  Did I say it was the end?  Don't think so.  They still have Brady and Belichick, they will continue to be good. 

So yes, you are a troll in a cave looking for some love.

they-have-a-cave-troll_o_398845.jpg

Ohhhh, so I’m supposed to research all of your previous posts before responding.  I didn’t know that.  

I thought I could just reply to what you wrote in a post.  

I missed that page in the manual 

16 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

I think we've conditioned ourselves to believe this is never going to end and Tom will indeed beat time. I can assure you that he will not.

While losing Gronk is a blow, I think they've been better without him than with him if memory serves. As long as Pedelman is around, I don't think they'll have a problem in terms of finding skill position players to match the EP system. 

It's not going to be the lack of skill position players that brings down this dynasty. It's going to be time. And the clock is nearing midnight.

Nope: 

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

The 2002 and (to a lesser extent) 2005 seasons? 

9 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Ohhhh, so I’m supposed to research all of your previous posts before responding.  I didn’t know that.  

I thought I could just reply to what you wrote in a post.  

I missed that page in the manual 

The thought of replying to a comment is actually reading the comment before you hit reply.

It's kind of like having a conversation with someone. It involves talking AND listening. 

Except you aren't listening to what the other person is saying and only waiting for your opportunity to respond.

16 hours ago, TheBeane said:

Seriously does feel like this is the beginning of the end of the ***Pats reign over the AFC East.

Allen needs to step his game up this year.

Go Bills!

Please tell me what I misread.  You said it feels like the beginning of the end. 

They just won the Super Bowl.  They’ve lost key pieces before after winning. Brady and the Hoodie are still there.  

What did i mis-interpret?

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Nope: 

The 2002 and (to a lesser extent) 2005 seasons? 

Did they miss the playoffs those years?  Wasn’t Brady hurt one of them btw?

5 hours ago, Gugny said:

As long as Brady and Belichick are there, they will always be the favorites to win the division.  I refuse to let myself believe otherwise, as I've been fooled too many times.

Exactly. Lost in all the talk of Gronk’s retirement is the fact that the Pats held the Rams high powered offense to 3 points in the Super Bowl. Everyone wants to credit either Brady or Belichick as the leading contributor to the Pats success. That is unfair as both guys have perfectly complimented each other to create such sustained success. Both Brady and/or Belichick can beat you on any given Sunday. When Brady is off, suddenly Belichick’s defense always seems to appear out of nowhere, even during seasons when they don’t have good stats. That team will be fine without Gronk, I’ll believe otherwise if we sweep them this season. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Exactly. Lost in all the talk of Gronk’s retirement is the fact that the Pats held the Rams high powered offense to 3 points in the Super Bowl. Everyone wants to credit either Brady or Belichick as the leading contributor to the Pats success. That is unfair as both guys have perfectly complimented each other to create such sustained success. Both Brady and/or Belichick can beat you on any given Sunday. When Brady is off, suddenly Belichick’s defense always seems to appear out of nowhere, even during seasons when they don’t have good stats. That team will be fine without Gronk, I’ll believe otherwise if we sweep them this season. 

The Rams lack of playmaking in the SB was tied to just one thing; Goff puking on his shoes. Or perhaps he just showed his true colors as a QB down the stretch run of the season. The Pats didn’t do anything noteworthy. They didn’t have to once the Bears and Eagles put down the blueprint and exposed Goff. The Pats begin and end with Brady, though. He didn’t do much in that dog of a SB game, but he only had to be marginally better than Goff that day. Not too difficult.

20 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Please tell me what I misread.  You said it feels like the beginning of the end. 

They just won the Super Bowl.  They’ve lost key pieces before after winning. Brady and the Hoodie are still there.  

Brady missed 2008 season. Seems like a lifetime ago, but I’ll never forget watching Pollard take his knee out on the scoreboard at the Ralph. 

3 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

The Rams lack of playmaking in the SB was tied to just one thing; Goff puking on his shoes. Or perhaps he just showed his true colors as a QB down the stretch run of the season. The Pats didn’t do anything noteworthy. They didn’t have to once the Bears and Eagles put down the blueprint and exposed Goff. The Pats begin and end with Brady, though. He didn’t do much in that dog of a SB game, but he only had to be marginally better than Goff that day. Not too difficult.

Brady missed 2008 season. Seems like a lifetime ago, but I’ll never forget watching Pollard take his knee out on the scoreboard at the Ralph. 

I was at that game too. The stadium didn’t know if we were allowed to applaud a man getting injured 

26 minutes ago, Virgil said:

They did miss it in 2002 (9-7). They went 10-6 in 2005 and lost to Denver in Denver in the divisional round.  Brady was fine both seasons. He missed the 2008 season.

Edited by dave mcbride

1 minute ago, Virgil said:

I was at that game too. The stadium didn’t know if we were allowed to applaud a man getting injured 

Not sure of your section , but I was in 136. Everyone ( seemingly) cheered and high- fives all around. 

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

They did miss it in 2002 (9-7). They went 10-6 in 2005 and lost to Denver in Denver in the divisional round.  Brady was fine both seasons. He missed the 2008 season.

You have to laugh at the fact their two worst season the past 20 years are better than, or tied, for our best seasons. 

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

Brady certainly wasn’t good in that Super Bowl, but that’s what worries me when dreaming about the Pats dynasty coming to an end. They always find a way to win. As far as Jared Goff is concerned, I’m not his biggest fan, but the Pats make a lot of QB’s “puke on their shoes”. I’m going to give Belichick at least some credit for shutting down the Rams. Sure, the Bears and Eagles gave the blueprint of how to slow down Goff, but the Pats perfected it in the Super Bowl.

The Pats have historically been all about Brady, but he did decline a bit last season imo. The issue is the fact that Belichick is also the goat, and Brady can still win while declining with such a great as his head coach. Every week Belichick makes his fellow NFL coaches look like clowns.  

6 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Brady certainly wasn’t good in that Super Bowl, but that’s what worries me when dreaming about the Pats dynasty coming to an end. They always find a way to win. As far as Jared Goff is concerned, I’m not his biggest fan, but the Pats make a lot of QB’s “puke on their shoes”. I’m going to give Belichick at least some credit for shutting down the Rams. Sure, the Bears and Eagles gave the blueprint of how to slow down Goff, but the Pats perfected it in the Super Bowl.

The Pats have historically been all about Brady, but he did decline a bit last season imo. The issue is the fact that Belichick is also the goat, and Brady can still win while declining with such a great as his head coach. Every week Belichick makes his fellow NFL coaches look like clowns.  

Fair enough. I don’t see it that way, and I’d say don’t overthink it. NFL QB play as a whole is weak. Good QBs can get it done vs NE. Mahomes , for example was barely slowed by the Pats*. Most NFL games are close, and even the current edition of Brady usually makes a few more plays than the QB on the other side of the field. He has very few “ off” days in a season compared with the field. That’s the reason for the wins. When he can no longer do this, it stops. 

Edited by Boatdrinks