Patriots weak at skill positions

21 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Do you think the Pats will address any perceived weakness with their 12 draft picks, 6 of which are in the first round, and with some remaining free agents? I doubt they'll just ignore their roster til training camp.

Pats have 8 million in cap space with their 9 million draft allocation, they have 12 picks, one in the first, 2 in the 2nd and 3 in the 3rd.  Yes, they will add to their roster, but the Bills have added strongly in FA and have 3 times the Patriots salary cap space with 10 picks.  The Bills have their QB and the Patriots need to spend a high pick on a replacement for Brady.  We also 3 picks in the first three rounds and the possibility of a trade down to pick up another 2nd day pick.

I think the Bills have a very comparable roster to the Patriots better in some areas, even in a few, lesser in others, but very comparable.

1 hour ago, RPbillsfan said:

With Gronk retiring and other major free agent loses the Patriots will be much weaker and vulnerable next year.

I reviewed Sportac NFL link and looked at the current TE and WR on the roster and it's worse then what the Bills had last year.

Of course the Patriots do have 6 picks in the first three rounds to rebuild, but also have serious holes to fill.

One Bills point in this is that we can assume Hockenson, Fant and Irv Smith will all be drafted in Round 1.  I believe this may alter the approach in the rest of free agency and in the draft.  My feeling is that the Bills make a move at DT now in FA, maybe even offering a pick for TB 3 technique tackle Gerald McCoy.  With the Bucs in dire cap status, they could move him to the Bills and pick up 13 million in cap space.  That would free up the Bills to draft a TE in round 1, if a trade down is viable select Hockenson (all purpose) or Fant (major downfield threat) with their first round pick and then BPA thru the rest of the draft.

Give Brady a bunch of high school skill players and he will compete for a championship with BB as his coach.

35 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

So what I gather is that you guys believe Tom Brady will never "lose it?"

I mean, I get it. We've been hearing reports of his demise for 10 years now. At some point, it's going to be true. What I saw in the playoffs was a QB on his last legs willing himself into throws his body theoretically shouldn't have been able to make. That is not going to last forever. The question is not if, it's when. And the when could very well be now.

No, not at all. Of course there will be a when, ( all the avocado toast in the world won’t stop that ) but you can be sure of one thing ; when the “ when” arrives, Brady’s ego will not allow him to continue and tarnish his own legacy. He will know when to say “ when”, and retire at that time. Hope it’s sooner than later. 

6 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Give Brady a bunch of high school skill players and he will compete for a championship with BB as his coach.

I couldn’t disagree more. Brady will win with competent players as long as he hasn’t slipped and it’s McDaniels offense. B.B. won’t matter that much and he certainly wouldn’t win with high school players. 

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

No, not at all. Of course there will be a when, ( all the avocado toast in the world won’t stop that ) but you can be sure of one thing ; when the “ when” arrives, Brady’s ego will not allow him to continue and tarnish his own legacy. He will know when to say “ when”, and retire at that time. Hope it’s sooner than later. 

That's where I respectfully disagree. I believe his ego is telling him something his body will not allow. The very same ego that made him the greatest QB of all time is leading him to hang on a year too long. 

I watched the playoffs intently and saw a WARRIOR mustering everything he had into routine throws. It was a remarkable feat that only the very best could have ever accomplished. But I fully believe it was his last hurrah. If he loses even the slightest bit of velocity, he is done as an NFL quarterback. Father Time is undefeated.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LSHMEAB said:

That's where I respectfully disagree. I believe his ego is telling him something his body will not allow. The very same ego that made him the greatest QB of all time is leading him to hang on a year too long. 

I watched the playoffs intently and saw a WARRIOR mustering everything he had into routine throws. It was a remarkable feat that only the very best could have ever accomplished. But I fully believe it was his last hurrah. If he loses even the slightest bit of velocity, he is done as an NFL quarterback. Father Time is undefeated.

Oh, I agree on Father Time , and it sure appeared that the whispers about a Brady injury might have some merit. I strongly believe he I’ll retire before he will play as a shell of himself that is clearly in major decline. He will not allow anyone to see him playing that way as a final image of him. Just my opinion. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

I couldn’t disagree more. Brady will win with competent players as long as he hasn’t slipped and it’s McDaniels offense. B.B. won’t matter that much and he certainly wouldn’t win with high school players. 

BB has been doing it for the last 18 years my friend.  The high school players is an exageration, I didnt mean it literaly. 

Just now, formerlyofCtown said:

BB has been doing it for the last 18 years my friend.  The high school players is an exageration, I didnt mean it literaly. 

Not coincidentally with Brady as his QB for the vast majority of the games. I figured the HS player part was overstated, but they’ve won with offense since about 2004 or so. Not knocking BB, but that run doesn’t happen without Brady.

What about the New England running game?  Toward the end of last season, and through the playoffs, that's what New England relied on more than passing.  And of course, they also have Edelman, and nobody has yet figured out how to cover him in the short and intermediate passing game.  This thread kind of sounds like another angle to assert that Buffalo should draft Hockenson at #9.  I still don't buy it.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, RPbillsfan said:

The key point in the topic is if the Bills were considering a TE in round 2, the three best will probably be drafted by pick 40.

The FA TE market is now dried up.  There is quality talent left at DT such as Suh and Wilkerson and the X factor of Gerald McCoy in Tampa possibly available in trade due to cap concerns.

To me, it seems that the Bills may alter their plans in the balance of pre-draft FA and may affect their draft plans.

You're right about the key point you made. The title of your thread makes some feel you're going to talk about the pats demise(I did). To me the title and content don't go together. Especially if some people don't even read your post and just go by the title, and it seems some have done that.

I've been watching the team with Gronk, Walker, Hogan, Cooks, Amendola etc.  How many of them are left.

Thats my point

If you have been watching the team with Cooks, you were watching them lose the SB to Cooks's former team.  If you have been watching Amendola, you watched them getting their ***** handed to them by the Bills in week 17.

What was your point again? 

• Haha (+1) 1

I've been watching the team with Gronk, Walker, Hogan, Cooks, Amendola etc.  How many of them are left.

Thats my point

Not much of a point, then, outside Gronk.

Cooks wasn't there last year. Didn't they do OK without him? Same with Amendola, and Amendola's not some great talent. Never gotten 700 yards a year even with Brady throwing to him. Same with all of them, really.

The Pats get by without great skill players because of Brady. Gronk is the exception. But believe it, they'll find somebody else to have Brady throw to.

They still have Brady, Edelpunk, Sony Michel, and Belichick.  Anyone they cut/lost will be replaced and fit into the scheme.  I doubt they're concerned about their 'lack of skill players'.

3 hours ago, RPbillsfan said:

With Gronk retiring and other major free agent loses the Patriots will be much weaker and vulnerable next year.

I reviewed Sportac NFL link and looked at the current TE and WR on the roster and it's worse then what the Bills had last year.

Of course the Patriots do have 6 picks in the first three rounds to rebuild, but also have serious holes to fill.

One Bills point in this is that we can assume Hockenson, Fant and Irv Smith will all be drafted in Round 1.  I believe this may alter the approach in the rest of free agency and in the draft.  My feeling is that the Bills make a move at DT now in FA, maybe even offering a pick for TB 3 technique tackle Gerald McCoy.  With the Bucs in dire cap status, they could move him to the Bills and pick up 13 million in cap space.  That would free up the Bills to draft a TE in round 1, if a trade down is viable select Hockenson (all purpose) or Fant (major downfield threat) with their first round pick and then BPA thru the rest of the draft.

Ahahahaha ahahaha this is too much, dosent matter who they lose. Still winning the afc east, and will be in the championship game. 

3 hours ago, RPbillsfan said:

Position by position bills vs patriots

QB - Huge advantage Patriots

RB -  Close to even

OL -  Bills slight advantage

WR - Bills

TE -  Bills slight advantage

PK - Bills currently until Gostowski resigns

P  -  Patriots

ST - Patriots

DL - Bills

LB - Patriots

CB - Patriots

S.  - Even

Look at the current Patriots roster at TE and WR, is that a competent group

Bills have no advantage at any position group on the field. The coaching in buffalo is a joke. Cleveland has better coaching

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Virgil said:

They literally just won the Super Bowl

That they did, and your point? Not saying they're first to worst, but I said BEGINNING OF THE END.

Also, this definitely won't happen to the Pats, but there are plenty of examples of teams declining a year after winning the super bowl.

@Virgil Troll much???