Patriots weak at skill positions

15 minutes ago, RPbillsfan said:

Yes with Gronk doing amazing blocking, who's gonna do that now

They will be fine. Their blocking scheme along with uncalled illegal picks and offensive line holding will keep things operating as usual. On a serious note, I agree his blocking will be missed. It wasn’t something I honestly thought of. With that said, I still believe they will continue to function just fine without Gronk’s blocking. Would have been a much bigger loss had he still been a game changer as a receiver. 

Edited by SirAndrew

It has almost nothing to do with the skill positions. As long as you have a certain level of competence at WR and TE, the QB can set you apart or make you average to below. Until Brady goes or declines dramatically , none of the other stuff will matter all that much .

Position by position bills vs patriots

QB - Huge advantage Patriots

RB -  Close to even

OL -  Bills slight advantage

WR - Bills

TE -  Bills slight advantage

PK - Bills currently until Gostowski resigns

P  -  Patriots

ST - Patriots

DL - Bills

LB - Patriots

CB - Patriots

S.  - Even

2 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

It has almost nothing to do with the skill positions. As long as you have a certain level of competence at WR and TE, the QB can set you apart or make you average to below. Until Brady goes or declines dramatically , none of the other stuff will matter all that much .

Look at the current Patriots roster at TE and WR, is that a competent group

40 minutes ago, RPbillsfan said:

With Gronk retiring and other major free agent loses the Patriots will be much weaker and vulnerable next year.

I reviewed Sportac NFL link and looked at the current TE and WR on the roster and it's worse then what the Bills had last year.

Of course the Patriots do have 6 picks in the first three rounds to rebuild, but also have serious holes to fill.

One Bills point in this is that we can assume Hockenson, Fant and Irv Smith will all be drafted in Round 1.  I believe this may alter the approach in the rest of free agency and in the draft.  My feeling is that the Bills make a move at DT now in FA, maybe even offering a pick for TB 3 technique tackle Gerald McCoy.  With the Bucs in dire cap status, they could move him to the Bills and pick up 13 million in cap space.  That would free up the Bills to draft a TE in round 1, if a trade down is viable select Hockenson (all purpose) or Fant (major downfield threat) with their first round pick and then BPA thru the rest of the draft.

That wont make a significant difference unfortunately...the patriots offence is practically robotic its predicated on an entire roster of short shifty players who get open

aslong as bradys internal clock is okay they will keep chugging along...they will just keep finding edelman/welker clones. they always appear to struggle early then they tighten up like a well oiled machine.

2 minutes ago, RPbillsfan said:

Position by position bills vs patriots

QB - Huge advantage Patriots

RB -  Close to even

OL -  Bills slight advantage

WR - Bills

TE -  Bills slight advantage

PK - Bills currently until Gostowski resigns

P  -  Patriots

ST - Patriots

DL - Bills

LB - Patriots

CB - Patriots

S.  - Even

Look at the current Patriots roster at TE and WR, is that a competent group

I have to believe they will address it in the draft and 2nd wave of free agency as per usual. 

36 minutes ago, RPbillsfan said:

The key point in the topic is if the Bills were considering a TE in round 2, the three best will probably be drafted by pick 40.

The FA TE market is now dried up.  There is quality talent left at DT such as Suh and Wilkerson and the X factor of Gerald McCoy in Tampa possibly available in trade due to cap concerns.

To me, it seems that the Bills may alter their plans in the balance of pre-draft FA and may affect their draft plans.

Charlie Browns Teacher was here!

45 minutes ago, TheBeane said:

Seriously does feel like this is the beginning of the end of the ***Pats reign over the AFC East.

Allen needs to step his game up this year.

Go Bills!

They literally just won the Super Bowl

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Yet another “the Cheats* are weak” prediction and thread.  Until Brady shows his age the Division goes through NE.  It’s disgusting but true.

Exactly.  Unfortunately as long as his arms work they will be a presence to be feared 

Just now, RPbillsfan said:

Draft I can see, FA not so much as after the draft allocation they have $8,000,000 in cap space

They can manipulate their cap to some degree I’m sure. Bottom line is, until the Pats* have demonstrated weakness at the QB position, nothing else will make a huge difference. 

Yes I know the Pats will never, ever decline.......

If you compared the Offense of both teams today you would most likely give the Bills the advantage every place but QB and maybe starting RB.

It is closer than it has been for years and Brady gives them the edge but the season needs to play out.  Every decline starts somewhere.

• Like (+1) 1

lol they have been without Gronk for long stretches of the season and still go to the superbowl every year, or at least the AFC title game. 

as long as Brady/Bill are there nothing else literally matters. 

Just now, XABI64 said:

lol they have been without Gronk for long stretches of the season and still go to the superbowl every year, or at least the AFC title game. 

as long as Brady/Bill are there nothing else literally matters. 

Yep, and it’s the QB far more than B.B. that makes the difference imo. 

So what I gather is that you guys believe Tom Brady will never "lose it?"

I mean, I get it. We've been hearing reports of his demise for 10 years now. At some point, it's going to be true. What I saw in the playoffs was a QB on his last legs willing himself into throws his body theoretically shouldn't have been able to make. That is not going to last forever. The question is not if, it's when. And the when could very well be now.

1 hour ago, RPbillsfan said:

With Gronk retiring and other major free agent loses the Patriots will be much weaker and vulnerable next year.

I reviewed Sportac NFL link and looked at the current TE and WR on the roster and it's worse then what the Bills had last year.

Of course the Patriots do have 6 picks in the first three rounds to rebuild, but also have serious holes to fill.

One Bills point in this is that we can assume Hockenson, Fant and Irv Smith will all be drafted in Round 1.  I believe this may alter the approach in the rest of free agency and in the draft.  My feeling is that the Bills make a move at DT now in FA, maybe even offering a pick for TB 3 technique tackle Gerald McCoy.  With the Bucs in dire cap status, they could move him to the Bills and pick up 13 million in cap space.  That would free up the Bills to draft a TE in round 1, if a trade down is viable select Hockenson (all purpose) or Fant (major downfield threat) with their first round pick and then BPA thru the rest of the draft.

Do you think the Pats will address any perceived weakness with their 12 draft picks, 6 of which are in the first round, and with some remaining free agents? I doubt they'll just ignore their roster til training camp.