Gronk retired

12 minutes ago, Doc said:

Get your head out of your ass.  The Cheaters don't need him to win games.

That’s funny...I could have sworn I’ve seen Gronkowski make a ton of huge catches that won (or helped win) games for the Pats.  I don’t doubt that they will win plenty of games next year without him, but that doesn’t mean he wasn’t great.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, mannc said:

That’s funny...I could have sworn I’ve seen Gronkowski make a ton of huge catches that won (or helped win) games for the Pats.  I don’t doubt that they will win plenty of games next year without him, but that doesn’t mean he wasn’t great.

I never said he didn't play great.  I'm saying that his presence didn't make much of a difference in terms of the Cheaters winning.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

I never said he didn't play great.  I'm saying that his presence didn't make much of a difference in terms of the Cheaters winning.

A statement that is impossible to prove, and which is directly refuted by (1) the endless winning that took place during the nine years that he played for the Pats, and (2) the fact that he made huge catch after huge catch to help them win actual games.  That happened; I saw it.

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Moss played in 215 games, Jerry Rice played in 303 games and Gronk played in 115 games. A good part of being in the discussion of an all time great is longevity.

The greatest RB of all time retired at exactly the same age as Gronk. He played 118 games, but fewer than Gronk overall because the latter's postseason appearances.

Edited by dave mcbride

34 minutes ago, Doc said:

Get your head out of your ass.  The Cheaters don't need him to win games.

How about you get your head out of your own ass.

"And yes, Brady and the Patriots won the Super Bowl two years ago without Gronkowski playing (coming from 28-3 in case you haven’t heard). Even with those games included, here are the splits for Brady with and without Gronkowski since the latter entered the league in 2010:

With Gronkowski: 113 games, 2771 of 4332 (65.5%), 33217 pass yards (7.85 YPA), 255 pass TDs, 55 INTs

Without Gronkowski: 30 games, 711 of 1182 (60.2%), 8198 pass yards, 51 pass TDs, 22 INTs

If we translate that to a per-16-game rate for each, we get the following:

With Gronkowski: 392 of 599, 4703 pass yards, 36 TD, 8 INT

Without Gronkowski: 379 of 630, 4372 pass yards, 27 TD, 12 INT

Okay, but it may be hard to put those numbers in context. The “With Gronkowski” numbers are basically identical to Aaron Rodgers since the start of his career. The “Without Gronkowski” numbers are similar to Ryan Tannehill, if he completed fewer passes but threw for slightly more touchdowns"

So Aaron Rodgers vs tannehill numbers with and without him on the field.

Maybe you should really do your research before you start running your mouth.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SouthNYfan said:

"And yes, Brady and the Patriots won the Super Bowl two years ago without Gronkowski playing (coming from 28-3 in case you haven’t heard). Even with those games included, here are the splits for Brady with and without Gronkowski since the latter entered the league in 2010:

With Gronkowski: 113 games, 2771 of 4332 (65.5%), 33217 pass yards (7.85 YPA), 255 pass TDs, 55 INTs

Without Gronkowski: 30 games, 711 of 1182 (60.2%), 8198 pass yards, 51 pass TDs, 22 INTs

Okay, but it may be hard to put those numbers in context. The “With Gronkowski” numbers are basically identical to Aaron Rodgers since the start of his career. The “Without Gronkowski” numbers are similar to Ryan Tannehill, if he completed fewer passes but threw for slightly more touchdowns"

Excellent post.  But of course, anyone who actually watched the Pats play the past 9 seasons already knows that Gronk was easily the non-QB MVP on that team.  

3 hours ago, K-9 said:

GOAT discussions, from athletes to zookeepers and everything in between, while sometimes good food for thought, are ALWAYS futile.   

Gronk is a first ballot HOFer because he dominated his position in his era. Just like every other first ballot HOF tightend before him. 

They all have a seat at the table of the greatest. 

And it is a round table.

With regard to many positions, that's true.  I just don't think it's true in this case, just as it's not true with regard to head coaches...  

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Lifted directly from thebiglead.com. Yes , I see that you put it in quotes. Anyway, I think the point was not about stats, but that the team wins games without the player. Their winning begins and ends with the QB, and probably won’t change until they get weaker at that position. Hopefully that occurs and they don’t have a Colts like transition to an Andrew Luck. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Lifted directly from thebiglead.com. Yes , I see that you put it in quotes. Anyway, I think the point was not about stats, but that the team wins games without the player. Their winning begins and ends with the QB, and probably won’t change until they get weaker at that position. Hopefully that occurs and they don’t have a Colts like transition to an Andrew Luck. 

The bad news is the Pats got weaker at QB this past year but compensated for it by becoming the best running team in the league.  It’s a never-ending nightmare...

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, mannc said:

The bad news is they Pats got weaker at QB this past year but compensated for it by becoming the best running team in the league.  It’s a never-ending nightmare...

Not weak enough. It will be over when ( and only when) TB retires or his play is sub par. I don’t believe he will play as a Favre-like shell of himself. That would taint his legacy and his ego won’t allow it. A running game will mean very little at that time. It will all come down to the QB. While the nightmare may seem never ending, defining it as such is pure hyperbole. The epic length run is really just tied to one player’s highly improbable longevity. Barring a Luck- type scenario it will end. For football fans however, it has seemed to be a lifetime in hell , or perhaps purgatory. I truly cannot wait for it to reach its approaching nadir.