Gronk retired

I haven’t read all 12 pages but here are my thoughts on reading about half the comments.

I always felt defenses played Gronk wrong.  His size made him a matchup nightmare for either a LB or a DB. But his speed could be neutralized by a DB - not all the time but some of the time. This was comfiremd to me by the comments from Jalen Ramsey. A DB could at least stay with Gronk making it somewhat more difficult to complete a pass.

He was the premier blocking TE of his era.

He will be in the HOF. I suspect he will get in the first ballot but It will depend on the rest of the eligible class.

He is not in my top 5 tight ends of all time so nowhere near the GOAT

My top 5:

1. Tony Gonzalez

2.  John Mackey

3. Kellen Winslow

4. Ozzie Newsome

5. Antonio Gates (Gates would be higher but he never was much of a blocking threat)

I probably put Gronk at 6, ahead of Sharpe and Ditka.

• Like (+1) 1

Once I know he’s retired for good, and he’s not coming back later in the year, I’ll give him all the props he deserves. Till then, I’ll rest up. Either way, I’ll wish him well in terms of his long term health. (Despite the wicked cheap shot on Tre.) 

Lotta Buffalo in this Boston Globe piece on Gronk, with Vic Carucci playing a starring role re: the high school years at Williamsville North (I went to East and about half of my friends went to North).

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/patriots/2019/03/24/gronkowski-retires-nothing-less-than-football-folk-hero/llRb5DoBUFAyX4VXqv8vBM/story.html

Edited by dave mcbride

On 3/25/2019 at 6:32 AM, Gugny said:

I don't understand how any self-respecting football fan can define one's entire 9-year-career by one play.

And how can any self-respecting Bills fan be here carrying water for Jordan Poyer and Kyle Williams after doing nothing after Gronk hit Tre?  Front row seats to this capital offense and all they did was ask for a flag.

Idk if Kyle was over their. I recall an lb no longer on this team being closest to the play not doing anything.

As much as the child in me would have loved a fight, it's also just that childish. It's not just the hit on Tre. It's the way he acts, speaks, the 69 jokes directed at female reporters that if tre, shady, or almost any other athlete made they'd be in trouble.

The guy is a douchebag. Not sure what redeemable qualities people find in him besides being an animal who was trained well at football.

Like I said, he's a douche. Wish him the worst. It started before the tre cheap shot and went on after that. The tre thing was just another nail in the coffin of his ***** personality. 

4 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Idk if Kyle was over their. I recall an lb no longer on this team being closest to the play not doing anything.

As much as the child in me would have loved a fight, it's also just that childish. It's not just the hit on Tre. It's the way he acts, speaks, the 69 jokes directed at female reporters that if tre, shady, or almost any other athlete made they'd be in trouble.

The guy is a douchebag. Not sure what redeemable qualities people find in him besides being an animal who was trained well at football.

Like I said, he's a douche. Wish him the worst. It started before the tre cheap shot and went on after that. The tre thing was just another nail in the coffin of his ***** personality. 

I'm glad no one retaliated that game because it might have caused them to lose the following weekend and miss the playoffs.  I wish however that in the 2nd game this year, after the Bills were out of it, someone took Cretin's knees out.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Doc said:

I'm glad no one retaliated that game because it might have caused them to lose the following weekend and miss the playoffs.  I wish however that in the 2nd game this year, after the Bills were out of it, someone took Cretin's knees out.

I know. It's a lot like Landry, you always want some kind of revenge but I honestly just don't think that's how the game is played anymore. So many of these guys have relationships and with free agency, I don't think you get guys like that.

They're all essentially mercenaries.

2 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I know. It's a lot like Landry, you always want some kind of revenge but I honestly just don't think that's how the game is played anymore. So many of these guys have relationships and with free agency, I don't think you get guys like that.

They're all essentially mercenaries.

Well, they protected Josh when Kiko put a dirty hit on him.

Just now, Doc said:

Well, they protected Josh when Kiko put a dirty hit on him.

That's true. It was refreshing to see. Maybe it's just with age, but I generally think in all sports players want to be friends. Then they all will likely be on more than one team so they can't burn bridges. 

It's all the football camps, ACU teams in basketball, hockey camps and coming up through minors. A lot of the elite players in all sports are friends by teenage years because not many deal with the same kind of up bringing. I'm going on a tangent. I just think the days are largely dead of true rivalries. No one cares about what's on the front of the shirt, it's about the one on the back. Which I don't blame them and I feel like I'm usually not one to make this point, but does anyone on the Bills honestly care about a divisional opponent because they're representing Buffalo? Same goes for the other teams regarding the Bills. If the Pat's haven't been dominant for 20 years no one would get up for that game. They don't give an eff about the dolphins or the history. Most of the team is from the south anyways.

• 3 months later...
41 minutes ago, Captain Murica said:

I’m pretty sure it’s safe to say he’s retired for good. I guess 4 months off of the “supplements” will make you the incredible shrinking man. 

The comments on that tweet are hilarious. 

2 hours ago, Captain Murica said:

I’m pretty sure it’s safe to say he’s retired for good. I guess 4 months off of the “supplements” will make you the incredible shrinking man. 

Good.  When I saw this I thought the worse - he was returning.