Gronk retired

30 minutes ago, ricko1112 said:

Yup. All the cheap shots opponents put on him game after game. He was grabbed, tackled, and pummeled on every play. 9 years of abuse and he only let his emotions get the better of him one time...

I know, right? I wish the league would have let him wear a weapon on one of his arms so he could have at least defended himself against the onslaught this behemoth of a man faced from much smaller DBs and LBs. At least once he should have just assaulted one of those smaller men for trying hard to defend him. I mean, what gives? Playing him physically in the NFL? Totally out of line. Seriously, poor Gronk. 

1 minute ago, Magnum Force said:

Ok back to the topic....glad Gronk retired....wish it was Brady.  

Wait....back to the target, tag!

Then off to the next target?  Brady?

Just trying to keep up after you corrected our course.  ?

• Like (+1) 1

Ultimately, few (if any) positions have a definitive #1 all time.

rarely is the most naturally gifted also both the healthiest and on the best team. That gronk is very near the top of two of those is enough to deserve the conversation but not enough to close the conversation 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Rico said:

Different sport. Stats are very important in MLB, mostly irrelevant in the NFL other than W-L. I would never try to throw any shade on Ernie Banks... I would say Phil Rizzuto had a better career, but that’s just me, GO YANKEES! :D

If the sport being different didn't matter you would not have brought up Scooter, which is a great comparison/talking point. 

Better career vs. better player is a great distinction. Gronk beats Gonzalez on both. Ernie crushes Phil on one, Phil crushes Ernie on the other.

3 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Moss played in 215 games, Jerry Rice played in 303 games and Gronk played in 115 games. A good part of being in the discussion of an all time great is longevity.

I don't disagree.

Dominance plays a part in the discussion too.

Megatron in his prime was the most dominant wr ever.

Jim brown and Barry Sanders dominated more emmit Smith.

As said earlier koufax, and I'll include Pedro Martinez were more dominant in their prime stretches than Nolan Ryan.

Shaq was the most dominant force in the NBA during his best seasons.

A shorter but more dominant career has to be taken into account as well as longevity.

They both matter.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SouthNYfan said:

I don't disagree.

As said earlier koufax, and I'll include Pedro Martinez were more dominant in their prime stretches than Nolan Ryan.

A shorter but more dominant career has to be taken into account as well as longevity.

They both matter.

They're taken into account as to why he'll be a HOF'er.  Best ever...no.

1 minute ago, SouthNYfan said:

I don't disagree.

They both matter.

In reality he had 4 very good seasons, the others 546, 790, 592, 540 & 682. Let's take Charles Clay's 2013-2017 seasons 759, 605, 528, 552 & 558. Side by side the stats look pretty similar don't they?

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

They're taken into account as to why he'll be a HOF'er.  Best ever...no.

Better blocker than Tony g and Gates

More dominant during his time playing

He top 3 with Gates and Gonzalez, and it's really just about what your value more when ranking them.

If I had to win one game I'd take prime gronk over either.

Just like id take prime Shaq over any other center.

In reality he had 4 very good seasons, the others 546, 790, 592, 540 & 682. Let's take Charles Clay's 2013-2017 seasons 759, 605, 528, 552 & 558. Side by side the stats look pretty similar don't they?

No.

They don't.

Those seasons gronk played like 6-10 games.

Clay played 13+ every one of them.

Gronk was pulling twice the yardage per game.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Better blocker than Tony g and Gates

More dominant during his time playing

He top 3 with Gates and Gonzalez, and it's really just about what your value more when ranking them.

If I had to win one game I'd take prime gronk over either.

Just like id take prime Shaq over any other center.

4 dominant years in his career and your putting him up with the best of all time, sorry just can't do it with that small of a window of being dominant.

1 minute ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

4 dominant years in his career and your putting him up with the best of all time, sorry just can't do it with that small of a window of being dominant.

Especially when his presence didn’t mean much with respect to his team winning 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Ultimately, few (if any) positions have a definitive #1 all time.

rarely is the most naturally gifted also both the healthiest and on the best team. That gronk is very near the top of two of those is enough to deserve the conversation but not enough to close the conversation 

Things aren't black-and-white, even though people want them to be. 

Productivity and longevity alone don't mean someone was the best, although it can be difficult to argue against. Stats help us bring objectivity into the discussion, but it's ultimately such a subjective analysis. 

Therefore, I hate Rob Gronkowski. He was a terrible tight end. The end.

Edited by Richard Noggin

Just now, Doc said:

Especially when his presence didn’t mean much with respect to his team winning 

Learn football.

Watch some games.

Seriously.

Most receiving TDS in the NFL since 2010.

That's not a small window.

25 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Moss played in 215 games, Jerry Rice played in 303 games and Gronk played in 115 games. A good part of being in the discussion of an all time great is longevity.

You are forgetting about Gronk’s 16 post-season games (an entire season of playoff football) in which he caught 12 TD passes and accumulated over 1200 yards on about 80 receptions.  And three Super Bowl rings.

Nope same win percentage and same 3 Super Bawl wins during his 9 year career and the 9 years that proceeded him.

Other than Tom Brady, Gronk was easily the best player on the most dominant NFL dynasty of all time.  Your suggestion that he wasn’t a difference-maker is one of the worst takes of all time.