Gronk retired

4 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

So it's Tony's fault he didn't luck out and get Brady as a QB. 5 of 9 years he failed to crack 800 yards, that's pretty good but not an elite TE by any means. That's with the best QB ever throwing you the rock. Gronk wasn't the reason they were winners, Bill & Brady were.

It's not his fault, it just is what it is. Live dave mc says, Gronk dominated, especially in big games. Gonzalez scared no one.

Edited by Rico
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Rico said:

It's not his fault, it just is what it is. Live dave mc says, Gronk dominated, especially in big games. Gonzalex scared no one.

Compare Gonzalez’s postseason stats with Gronk’s and pro-rate the numbers:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GonzTo00.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GronRo00.htm

4 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Compare Gonzalez’s postseason stats with Gronk’s and pro-rate the numbers:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GonzTo00.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GronRo00.htm

The stat that stands out to me is that throughout his career, Gonzalez's teams won 1 playoff game... when he was 36.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Believer said:

A positive for Gronkowski... Seems to still have his brain intact... and for us... Won’t miss him one little bit... but Brady will... Go Bills!

Really? How can you tell?

• Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

So it's Tony's fault he didn't luck out and get Brady as a QB. 5 of 9 years he failed to crack 800 yards, that's pretty good but not an elite TE by any means. That's with the best QB ever throwing you the rock. Gronk wasn't the reason they were winners, Bill & Brady were.

Situational stats.

When the Patriots needed a first down, they went to Gronk.  3rd and goal?  Gronk.  Dude was money.  Stats tell whatever story you want them to.

1 minute ago, Rico said:

The stat that stands out to me is that throughout his career, Gonzalez's teams won 1 playoff game... when he was 36.

I'm not against the Gronk> Other TE's arguments, but do you think Gronk would have made one of Gonzalez's teams a playoff winner?

Since when do TE's win playoff games? Kellen Winslow was a long time ago.

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

Situational stats.

When the Patriots needed a first down, they went to Gronk.  3rd and goal?  Gronk.  Dude was money.  Stats tell whatever story you want them to.

How about this stat: the Cheaters have virtually the same winning percentage with and without the Cretin?

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Situational stats.

Ok, Gronk caught 397 passes that got a first down, Tony caught 864 passes that netted a first down. Your stat and Tony kills him in another one. Receiving yards for a career Tony ranks 5th, Gronk ranks 104th. He only played in 115 games, not nearly enough to put him in the discussion for best TE ever.

I wish him well in retirement, both in health and happiness. We all have bad moments, for me all is forgiven. If your moment was not that egregious, your moment was probably not that intense. 

Retire in good health, I pray. 

Edited by Augie

4 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

I'm not against the Gronk> Other TE's arguments, but do you think Gronk would have made one of Gonzalez's teams a playoff winner?

Since when do TE's win playoff games? Kellen Winslow was a long time ago.

Playing what-if can be fun, but I don't project too much what players would do if they were on other teams. I just look at the bottom line, and Gronk was a winner, big-time..

As far as TE's winning playoff games, I really don't feel like researching it but you can go back to the 2 most recent Pats SB wins and I don't know if they win either without Gronk. Well, the Rams did suck, but definitely the Falcons game.

Yes, he is the greatest TE of all time, but nevertheless, I still say ***** Gronk.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Ok, Gronk caught 397 passes that got a first down, Tony caught 864 passes that netted a first down. Your stat and Tony kills him in another one. Receiving yards for a career Tony ranks 5th, Gronk ranks 104th. He only played in 115 games, not nearly enough to put him in the discussion for best TE ever.

Fair point. Though it’s become cliche, don’t they say the best ability is availability ? Gronkowski dominated for sure, but his durability takes him out of the all time best conversation imo. Is he HOF great ? Absolutely. But so was Terrell Davis. 

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

These are mere counting stats. No TE dominated the game like Gronk in his prime. 

Don’t get me wrong - Gonzalez was a terrific player. But he was nowhere near as good as Gronk. Arguing that he was better than Gronk is like arguing that Don Sutton was better than Sandy Koufax. Primes matter in evaluating a player. 

Also, look at Gronk’s postseason stats. Seriously.

That's what makes him the best. His impact on games was like no other TE.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Zebrastripes said:

Makes sense for gronk to hang it up now.  Walk away now while he can actually still walk.

Yup. All the cheap shots opponents put on him game after game. He was grabbed, tackled, and pummeled on every play. 9 years of abuse and he only let his emotions get the better of him one time...

3 minutes ago, Rico said:

Playing what-if can be fun, but I don't project too much what players would do if they were on other teams. I just look at the bottom line, and Gronk was a winner, big-time..

As far as TE's winning playoff games, I really don't feel like researching it but you can go back to the 2 most recent Pats SB wins and I don't know if they win either without Gronk. Well, the Rams did suck, but definitely the Falcons game.

Yes, he is the greatest TE of all time, but nevertheless, I still say ***** Gronk.

Ernie Banks must have sucked.

2 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Fair point. Though it’s become cliche, don’t they say the best ability is availability ? Gronkowski dominated for sure, but his durability takes him out of the all time best conversation imo. Is he HOF great ? Absolutely. But so was Terrell Davis. 

Cretin played long enough to be HOF-worthy.  IMHO TD didn't.  I could make a case for Jamal Lewis deserving to go in well before TD.

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

Absolutely agree Boat, 115 games is not enough and durability was an issue with Gronk after his first 2 years. Like I said before it's like comparing Calvin Johnson(Who played 9 years) & Jerry Rice. Yards per game go to Calvin, but career easily goes to Rice.