Gronk retired

11 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Yes but Brady throwing to him puts him in Canton. He's not "Gronk" as a Bill.

Okay, now it’s “ as a Bill” instead of just on a different team. Point taken on Brady, but as it’s been pointed out Gonzalez didn’t have a Brady throwing to him. Sure, he’s not “ Gronk” on one of the most QB needy teams of his era. Fine. 

19 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Okay, now it’s “ as a Bill” instead of just on a different team. Point taken on Brady, but as it’s been pointed out Gonzalez didn’t have a Brady throwing to him. Sure, he’s not “ Gronk” on one of the most QB needy teams of his era. Fine. 

I only used the Bills as an example of a team without good QB play. It could be any of 20-25 teams. But players don't play in a vacuum. Their teammates shape their game. You couldn't do better than Brady throwing to you. Would Gronk still be Gronk if Aaron Rodgers or Peyton Manning was his QB? Probably. 

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Believer said:

A positive for Gronkowski... Seems to still have his brain intact... and for us... Won’t miss him one little bit... but Brady will... Go Bills!

No telling though what the long-term effects of all the roids and the cumulative head trauma will have. That could be the real positive.:D

j/k!

2 hours ago, buffalobillswin said:

Just because he played for longer doesn't mean he was better. Gronk's per year stats and per game stats are much better.

He's by far the best TE to ever play the game. Also hid Brady's flaws the last several years.

Similar to Megatron vs rice.

Incredible prime/3-5 year stretch.

Entire career totals don't match up.

Megatron's and gronks fires burned hotter, rice and Gonzalez burned longer.

Emmit Smith and favre are also longevity guys who played very very good to great for a long time.

Neither is the best ever at their position when you ask most people, but both are near the top or #1 in most statistical categories.

It's a very interesting debate, happens in a lot of sports.

Longevity vs quality of prime years.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

We should also pour one out for former Bill (almost) Jeremy Maclin... @Kirby Jackson Did you hit up the baby registry too? Could have swung things our way.

***** him too. Ravens fans here were rolling when he signed with them instead of the Bills, but I got the last laugh. :lol:

Not as good as the Lee Evans last laugh, but still good.

2 hours ago, buffalobillswin said:

He's better than Tony Gonzalez and it isn't particularly close.

I know you hate him because he plays for the pats but a quick stat comparison will tell you all you need.

Don't think so, there's only 5 people who have more career receiving yards than Gonzalez, he's the only TE in the top 20. Heck Tony had almost twice the yardage as Gronk. Gronk would've never got to where Tony did even if he was still somewhat healthy. In 9 seasons Gronk failed to crack 800 yards 5 times, in 17 seasons Tony failed to hit 800 yards only 4 times. In 9 years Gronk played in 115 out of 144 games, in 17 years Tony played in 270 out of 272 games. One had a career that was almost twice as long and almost twice as good while being way more dependable. Gronk's 115 games equals a little bit more than 7 full seasons, his career was too short to compare him with the best TEs of all time.The equivalent on the WR side would be like saying Calvin Johnson was better than Jerry Rice, per game...maybe, for a career no way. Calvin, like Gronk, wasn't around long enough to be in that discussion.

4 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Don't think so, there's only 5 people who have more career receiving yards than Gonzalez, he's the only TE in the top 20. Heck Tony had almost twice the yardage as Gronk. Gronk would've never got to where Tony did even if he was still somewhat healthy. In 9 seasons Gronk failed to crack 800 yards 5 times, in 17 seasons Tony failed to hit 800 yards only 4 times. In 9 years Gronk played in 115 out of 144 games, in 17 years Tony played in 270 out of 272 games. One had a career that was almost twice as long and almost twice as good while being way more dependable. Gronk's 115 games equals a little bit more than 7 full seasons, his career was too short to compare him with the best TEs of all time.The equivalent on the WR side would be like saying Calvin Johnson was better than Jerry Rice, per game...maybe, for a career no way. Calvin, like Gronk, wasn't around long enough to be in that discussion.

Gronk was a winner, Gonzalez was a loser. Advantage Gronk.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

I know I'm in the overwhelming minority, but I love Gronk.  Loved watching him play; love his sense of humor.  All in all, the guy played the game the way it was meant to be played and he did it better than most tight ends in the history of the game.

He was great for football and I've enjoyed watching him for the past 9 years.

I wish him well and look forward to seeing him in another capacity.

I think he is the greatest TE in NFL history and that it ain’t even really close. Just look at his postseason stats.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Rico said:

Gronk was a winner, Gonzalez was a loser. Advantage Gronk.

So it's Tony's fault he didn't luck out and get Brady as a QB. 5 of 9 years he failed to crack 800 yards, that's pretty good but not an elite TE by any means. That's with the best QB ever throwing you the rock. Gronk wasn't the reason they were winners, Bill & Brady were.

10 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

These are mere counting stats. No TE dominated the game like Gronk in his prime. 

Don’t get me wrong - Gonzalez was a terrific player. But he was nowhere near as good as Gronk. Arguing that he was better than Gronk is like arguing that Don Sutton was better than Sandy Koufax. Primes matter in evaluating a player. 

Also, look at Gronk’s postseason stats. Seriously.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1