Bills 53 offensive line projection

7 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

God forbid a starter goes down, I do not want to put my hopes and prayers for the season into a 2nd year 5th round pick...Teller is not what I would consider solid depth, and I think we can do better, but hey, maybe that’s just me...

I'll have to disagree here. Teller looks to me like the definition of solid o-line depth: young guy with some physical tools who has started in the league. 

I hope the Bills find someone better to start, but a cost-controlled backup with upside (however limited you might think it is, some see upside there) sounds just about right? Am I wrong? Is it just that you think Teller has no business on the field ever?

6 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I think you are asking the wrong question Coffin. I wonder why people have completely written of a 5th round rookie after seven NFL starts, under an offensive line coach for whom everyone was awful. People writing this guy off because he isn't Quentin Nelson are nuts. There is a reason one went top ten and one went in the fifth. He is a work in progress who has shown flashes and has more natural talent than any other guard on the roster. In fact, he is more talented than most of the guards in this upcoming draft and is similar in prospect pedigree to message board favorite Chris Lindstrom. The same people who criticize Teller swear that Nsehke is the answer to left tackle. A 34 year old guy with 16 NFL starts, some of which were at guard. Small sample size in both instances. Lunacy becuase neither mean anything. 

I've defended Teller a lot on here and I don't want to rehash all of it, but if anybody who watched him play closely, and has written him off, likely doesn't understand potential and development, and they likely don't understand the nuances of offensive line play. Just my opinion. PFF is not the be all and end all. In fact PFF loved him in college. Do I think he's Zach Martin? No. But I think he has the potential to be a solid starting guard in the NFL if he can find some consistency. The talent and ability are there. 

Im not writing him off, I’m just not pencilling him in as our starting LG in 2019 which is what a great majority have done since week 12

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

I'll have to disagree here. Teller looks to me like the definition of solid o-line depth: young guy with some physical tools who has started in the league. 

I hope the Bills find someone better to start, but a cost-controlled backup with upside (however limited you might think it is, some see upside there) sounds just about right? Am I wrong? Is it just that you think Teller has no business on the field ever?

Fair enough...I guess it is just a preference thing- where I would much rather prefer Long in the swing guard role while we developed Teller a little more...and I just feel we weren’t able to do that last year due to circumstance...but he certainly has potential.

Edited by JaCrispy

for those who don't know, teller was the defensive lineman of the year his sr yr. of h.s. for the state of va. and started out having what looked to be an outstanding career on the dline.  i'd wager to say that if he hadn't been forced to switch due to so many injuries on their line, he may have gotten drafted very high at dt or de.

6'5"315 and nasty.  imo his early career got screwed by a coach desperate to put an oline together. as the old farts say....stay tuned.

10 hours ago, hemma said:

Jeremiah Sirles started 5 games last year.

I felt a need to contribute.

He started and played one complete game vs Miami.  Most of other plays were as extra blocker.  Only played over 15 plays in 2 other games.  His signing a one year vet minimum deal points to his possibly being released with little repercussion.  Waddle signing not a good sign for him.

• 2 months later...

Now that OTAs and minicamp are over:

LT- Dawkins

LG- Spain

C- Morse

RG- Long

RT- Nsekhe

Depth:

Ford- T

Teller- G

Feliciano- G/C

Waddle- T

But, I still have this sinking feeling that Ducasse will still be on this team, and maybe even starting...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

LT- Dawkins

LG- Spain

C- Morse

RG- Long

RT- Nsekhe

Depth:

Ford- T

Teller- G

Feliciano- G/C

Waddle- T

But, I still have this sinking feeling that Ducasse will still be on this team, and maybe even starting...

I think you nailed it (minus the fear of Ducasse staying). That's the safest, most veteran starting 5 to begin the season. Ford and Teller have the raw talent to become starters this season, but they'll have to earn it. Feliciano and Waddle are solid backups.

I think these are the top 5 linemen. Ford can move to tackle in case of injury, Long is the first backup at G

LT Dawkins LG Spain C Morse RG Ford RT Nsekhe

Depth G Long, Teller G/C Feliciano 

T Ford, Waddle,  

LT- Dawkins

LG- Spain

C- Morse

RG- Long

RT- Nsekhe

Depth:

Ford- T

Teller- G

Feliciano- G/C

Waddle- T

Flip Long and Spain.  As for RT, it's either Nsekhe or Ford.  And Ducasse won't be starting.  If anything, they'll have Ford move inside.

8 minutes ago, Doc said:

Flip Long and Spain.  As for RT, it's either Nsekhe or Ford.  And Ducasse won't be starting.  If anything, they'll have Ford move inside.

I’m curious why you would flip Long and Spain? Spain has played his entire career at LG, and correct me if I’m wrong, Long played RG with the Jets (along with an abysmal stint at center).

On 3/24/2019 at 8:30 PM, Formerly Allan in MD said:

We're gonna go high for a tackle.

gonna get a flag for that 

4 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

LT- Dawkins

LG- Spain

C- Morse

RG- Long

RT- Nsekhe

Depth:

Ford- T

Teller- G

Feliciano- G/C

Waddle- T

I would not argue against  this line.
btw nice to followed up here.

49 minutes ago, Doc said:

why the flip ?

39 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I’m curious why you would flip Long and Spain? Spain has played his entire career at LG, and correct me if I’m wrong, Long played RG with the Jets (along with an abysmal stint at center).

he had an injured finger as snapper ( for context) i think i read somewhere lol

On 3/24/2019 at 12:23 PM, RPbillsfan said:

With so many lineman signed just wondering what everyone thinks will make the final 53 as I believe the draft will be defensive orientated.  Here's my line:

Starters:

LT - Dawkins

LG - Long

C   - Morse

RG - Feliciano

RT - Nesheke

Depth

T  - Waddell

C -  Bodine

G - Teller

Your thoughts

Feliciano's been a career backup on a team with a poor OL.  So now he's gonna start here?  I'd be concerned if that ends up happening.  

On 3/25/2019 at 5:12 AM, billsredneck1 said:

for those who don't know, teller was the defensive lineman of the year his sr yr. of h.s. for the state of va. and started out having what looked to be an outstanding career on the dline.  i'd wager to say that if he hadn't been forced to switch due to so many injuries on their line, he may have gotten drafted very high at dt or de.

6'5"315 and nasty.  imo his early career got screwed by a coach desperate to put an oline together. as the old farts say....stay tuned.

Great, then start him at DT or DE then.  We desperately need DEs.  Good ones anyway.  Lawson and Murphy ain't cuttin' it. 

Edited by Ronin

5 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

He has a chance otherwise the Bills would have released or traded him despite what posters and talking heads think.

Maybe they are keeping him in case someone loses a starter in training camp or preseason.

1 hour ago, 3rdand12 said:

he had an injured finger as snapper ( for context) i think i read somewhere lol

I do remember that story, as told by Long. I don't hold that dismal showing against him, as far as being a backup center goes. Between him, Feliciano (who was Oakland's backup center), and Morse, I think that Bodine is utterly expendable, and as good as gone. If they give Long, and/or Feliciano reps at center, Bodine may not make it through the first round of cuts, IMO.

3 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

why the flip ?

That's where the Bills had them playing in OTAs, when they were healthy that is.  I was thinking they'd put Spain at LG and Long at RG.

7 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

Didn't Long and Nsecke play rg and rt next to one another in Washington? I can see that happening here.

Interesting. ... We have six weeks to speculate. It seems the only certainty right now is Dawkins at LT and Morse on the middle, after that, there is no idea. And we won't until the first few days of camp.

6 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

Didn't Long and Nsecke play rg and rt next to one another in Washington? I can see that happening here.

They started two games next to each other at LG and LT in 2015. After that, Long was moved to center for Washington for 2016. Though they will be familiar with each other from practice as well. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

16 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

I do remember that story, as told by Long. I don't hold that dismal showing against him, as far as being a backup center goes. Between him, Feliciano (who was Oakland's backup center), and Morse, I think that Bodine is utterly expendable, and as good as gone. If they give Long, and/or Feliciano reps at center, Bodine may not make it through the first round of cuts, IMO.

There are not required rounds of cuts like they were last year.

• Thank you (+1) 1