Reunion Tour! The Band Is Back! Wait, Who Are These Guys?

10 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I answered this question on facebook with "Depends on the Band."

Some bands, like, say the Doors are personified in one person. Doors simply aren't the Doors without Jim Morrison. Others seem to do fine with swapping out members.

True. The surviving members toured a few times after Jim's death, but under different names, because they felt it was disrespectful to call themselves The Doors without Jim. A few times they had a female singer so that people didn't think they were trying to replace Jim.

Just now, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

True. The surviving members toured a few times after Jim's death, but under different names, because they felt it was disrespectful to call themselves The Doors without Jim. A few times they had a female singer so that people didn't think they were trying to replace Jim.

They also did some stuff with Ian Astbury of the Cult, who did an awesome job.

2 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

They PROBABLY could do something with Glenn Danzig as they're nearly vocal clones.

If Ray was still alive, yeah. Robby Krieger is the only one that still tours. From what I understand, Densmore doesn't want anything to do with performing live as a former Doors member. 

4 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

They PROBABLY could do something with Glenn Danzig as they're nearly vocal clones.

I always thought the Doors were overrated ... especially Jim Morrison.  I'd take the Cult or Danzig over the Doors any day.  Especially the Cult.

6 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I always thought the Doors were overrated ... especially Jim Morrison.  I'd take the Cult or Danzig over the Doors any day.  Especially the Cult.

I like The Doors music, but I always though Morrison was overrated. If anything, Ray Manzarek's  organ playing was the distinct sound that made them The Doors. 

2 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I like The Doors music, but I always though Morrison was overrated. If anything, Ray Manzarek's  organ playing was the distinct sound that made them The Doors. 

Yes ... they had musical talent, for sure.

This is also why I'm such a big fan of tribute bands. A lot of the older bands that are still technically around, only have a small amount of remaining members, and essentially are a tribute band. But because they can trace their lineage back to the original band, can charge original band prices. Tribute bands are cheap or free, and sound more like the original band than a lot of these bands.