Interesting Map of population growth

Greybeard

1 hour ago, Gray Beard said:

I would have to watch it multiple times to get all the nuances.  Upstate NY peaked around the time of the Civil War and then started to fade. 

I was introduced to a former Bills player for his financial planning. We were talking about Buffalo.  He said he did some research on Buffalo when he was traded there.  He said he likes to know about the places where he lived.  He said that Buffalo had the most millionaires per capita in the US in the late 1800's early 1900's.  I had no idea.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I was introduced to a former Bills player for his financial planning. We were talking about Buffalo.  He said he did some research on Buffalo when he was traded there.  He said he likes to know about the places where he lived.  He said that Buffalo had the most millionaires per capita in the US in the late 1800's early 1900's.  I had no idea.  

There were some pretty impressive homes on Delaware Ave.   I don't know the city that well to say if there were any other area's like that. 

I think we lose sight of just what the Erie Canal meant to the area.   It was "the" highway to the west at one point.  You can see that on the map as the mountains to the south blocked easy access.

28 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I was surprised that Buffalo peaked later than other spots across NY.  Utica, Syracuse, and Rochester were all filled in with dark colors before Buffalo.  I would have thought that since Buffalo was at the end of the waterway it would have filled in sooner.  

30 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Amazing architecture from that era abounds, and then......

• Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

I was surprised that Buffalo peaked later than other spots across NY.  Utica, Syracuse, and Rochester were all filled in with dark colors before Buffalo.  I would have thought that since Buffalo was at the end of the waterway it would have filled in sooner.  

Gray Beard and Greybeard quote me.  How freaky is that?  LOL

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Chef Jim said:

Gray Beard and Greybeard quote me.  How freaky is that?  LOL

I used to be Graybeard (one word) but there was a password reset problem when the whole TBD software platform was changed. Graybeard was tied to a defunct email account and I had forgotten my password, so I just started over as Gray Beard.  It would have been even better to be quoted by Greybeard and Graybeard. 

3 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

That stretch along Lake Erie from Cleveland to Erie to Buffalo in the late 19th century was full of millionaires with the shipping, railroads, oil, coal, and steel industries

• Awesome! (+1) 2

Notice how, with a few exceptions, the population growth always follows WATER.

Where you have it, you have population.

Where you don't have it, you don't have population.

For the most part.

6 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Believe it or not,during that time period,we had the second largest/active train terminal in the country...second to only Chicago.

The original owner of Lackawanna Steel was a man named Scranton,yes,they named the city after him in Pa.He moved operations here(1902)  and the city gave that pocket the name Lackawanna...I never new that.

And..those grain wholesalers made bundles too...this might be a "old wives tale" but I was told,years ago,buffalo was the known supplier to Europe.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

Buffalo also shot ahead of the others in terms of overall population.  Buffalo due to hydroelectric power was a major manufacturing center for a number of decades starting in the very late 19th Century.  Too bad many hard lessons had to be learned here in terms of pollution.

1 minute ago, Misterbluesky said:

Believe it or not,during that time period,we had the second largest/active train terminal in the country...second to only Chicago.

The original owner of Lackawanna Steel was a man named Scranton,yes,they named the city after him in Pa.He moved operations here(1902)  and the city gave that pocket the name Lackawanna...I never new that.

And..those grain wholesalers made bundles too...this might be a "old wives tale" but I was told,years ago,buffalo was the known supplier to Europe.

Yep, Buffalo was the focal point for railing grain from the Midwest to Albany and NYC and then onward out of the country.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Buffalo also shot ahead of the others in terms of overall population.  Buffalo due to hydroelectric power was a major manufacturing center for a number of decades starting in the very late 19th Century.  Too bad many hard lessons had to be learned here in terms of pollution.

Yep, Buffalo was the focal point for railing grain from the Midwest to Albany and NYC and then onward out of the country.

They railed it...I was thinking the canal to the Hudson? Regardless,i guess we were the supplier.It's to bad those old elevators still sit down by Ohio St. and do nothing more than serve as a Labatt's billboard.

11 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

They railed it...I was thinking the canal to the Hudson? Regardless,i guess we were the supplier.It's to bad those old elevators still sit down by Ohio St. and do nothing more than serve as a Labatt's billboard.

In the early days of the canal most wheat went by barge when it was grown in towns such as Wheatfield (Buffalo) and Wheatland (Rochester, NY).  After the Civil War the largest volume of wheat was from the Midwest.  So it went by ship on the Great Lakes or by rail hugging the southern shores of Lake Michigan and Lake Erie onward to Buffalo.  Thanks to the rough terrain of the Appalachians commercial traffic went through Buffalo for the most economical passage.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

All the robber-barons had their summer homes there, because of the natural air conditioning of the Great Lakes.  Like other said above, a/c changed everything.  

I found it fascinating how the south didn't suddenly spike after the cancellation of the 3/5 compromise.  And of how forward-looking the Louisiana Purchase really was.