New rule to replace onside kick?

4 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

It's FOOTBALL. it's violent by design, and the players are paid handsomely to take that risk.

The vast majority don’t make anywhere near what most people think. Between taxes and short careers these  eye popping mega deals are the rarity. 

2 hours ago, NoSaint said:

So for sports entertainment, do you draw the line anywhere on safety? 

Or what about the participants drawing the line? Do they not get that right?

They can draw a line and choose to not be paid. That is their right.

58 minutes ago, Steve O said:

Um...you do know that a team can on-sides kick now after safety don't you?

Yes, however, it must be from a punt, which has to be a literal 0% proposition. I don’t remember it ever happening. So you would be going from a 0% success rate currently to a 20% success rate. This isn’t like the onside kick where it had a 20% success rate and the NFL killed it and are not looking to correct it.  

36 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I don't think it's a terrible idea. Imo it's more plausible than an onside kick. Onside kicks rarely ever work for the kicking team. A 4th and 15 is much more Do-able Imo. I think it's also more exciting than an inside kick 

i can't try a 4th and 15 when i want to make an onside kick work

whoa...

the Bills strategy the last 20 years has been to flounce down the field, down two scores, wasting 20 seconds each play and  hoping for the gahhhhhhhhhbagggggggggggggggggetime score and the onside kick

Imagine being down by 15 points with 5 seconds remaining. Score a TD, get a 2 point conversion, and then have a strong armed QB heave a hail mary “onside kick” for another TD and get another 2 point conversion to win.

Crazy.

3 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

Football will never NOT be physical.

Some of these rule changes are an effort to prevent an actual death from happening on the field of play.

For size comparison...

Aaron Maybin 6'4" 238lbs

Lawrence Taylor 6'3" 238lbs

What cut it back in the 80s and 90s ain't cutting it today.

Did Maybin ever play at 238 pounds ?   Didn’t he take weight gainers to reach that weight ? I remember he had issues with being way too light to play . 

5 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

It's FOOTBALL. it's violent by design, and the players are paid handsomely to take that risk.

They are paid handsomely because the game brings insane amounts of revenue. There should be no issues with trying to minimize the physical risks. Would you rather Josh Allen have a 15 year career with the Bills or suffer concussions or other injuries that limit his effectiveness and time playing.  Time to get over the 'macho' crap.

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, klos63 said:

They are paid handsomely because the game brings insane amounts of revenue. There should be no issues with trying to minimize the physical risks. Would you rather Josh Allen have a 15 year career with the Bills or suffer concussions or other injuries that limit his effectiveness and time playing.  Time to get over the 'macho' crap.

now we can dictate great 15 year careers for QBs as our right as Bills fans?

55 minutes ago, Bills2ref said:

Yes, however, it must be from a punt, which has to be a literal 0% proposition. I don’t remember it ever happening. So you would be going from a 0% success rate currently to a 20% success rate. This isn’t like the onside kick where it had a 20% success rate and the NFL killed it and are not looking to correct it.  

Actually it doesn't have to be from a punt, but a tee can not be used if going from the ground. Either have to use a holder or lay the ball on its side if going from the ground. Dallas pulled one off successfully (from a punt) back in the 70's or 80's.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

Football morphing into an unrecognizeable sport.  Soon...a three point shot.

It's not just football... it's everything these days.

- Hockey went to a weird playoff format where the matchups are determined by rivalries instead of the highest seed playing the lowest seed.

- Nascar went to that stupid stage racing a few years ago. Because randomly throwing cautions to reward points a third and two thirds of the way through the race is just so exciting. 

- College basketball is throwing around the idea of going to four quarters. Apparently college basketball isn't exciting enough being different and having two 20 minute halfs.

People are so obsessed with change these days. Nothing ever satisfies them. They always have to come up with something new.

• Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, goober said:

Interesting idea but I don’t like the concept of some iffy defensive holding call nowhere near the play making it an automatic first down.  

I was thinking this as well.  Someone makes a chuck 6 yards down field instead of 5 and automatic first down. Hand checking back and forth and the defense gets flagged for PI. Not to mention the questionable roughing the passer and leading with the helmet when tackling a WR calls.