New rule to replace onside kick?

I wish they would just bring regular kick offs back and leave it alone. It’s one of the most exciting plays in the game when it’s done correctly and it was responsible for some of the greatest plays in nfl history. Don’t touch the onside kicks and don’t keep trying to take away the kick off. These guys know the risk when they sign up. Play football or don’t. Stop trying to make it an arcade game. Bring the kickoff back. Make football physical again

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I wish they would just bring regular kick offs back and leave it alone. It’s one of the most exciting plays in the game when it’s done correctly and it was responsible for some of the greatest plays in nfl history. Don’t touch the onside kicks and don’t keep trying to take away the kick off. These guys know the risk when they sign up. Play football or don’t. Stop trying to make it an arcade game. Bring the kickoff back. Make football physical again

I just despise that rationale.  They take a career threatening risk because if they want a chance to make the team, they will do it. Doesn't mean it's fair or right.  Reasonable people don't want players risking serious injury for their entertainment. I know it's a physical game, I have no issues trying to make the game safer.

If you think football isn't physical, you have some major issues. You want to lose half your team with blown out knees throughout the season?

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, klos63 said:

I just despise that rationale.  They take a career threatening risk because if they want a chance to make the team, they will do it. Doesn't mean it's fair or right.  Reasonable people don't want players risking serious injury for their entertainment. I know it's a physical game, I have no issues trying to make the game safer.

If you think football isn't physical, you have some major issues. You want to lose half your team with blown out knees throughout the season?

Lose half your team with blown out knees because of kickoffs? The play that has been in the game forever but only recently has become an “issue?” The rationale you despise is simply accurate. You play the game because you want to. You take it for what it is with all the inherent risks. Kickoffs are part of the game. So are injuries. If you don’t want to play, don’t play. Racecar drivers realize every time they strap in, they could die. Same with bull riders...They still do it. And they aren’t turning around suing people when they run out of money.

Edited by Brianmoorman4jesus

If you have been watching the AAF, the 4th and 12 - instead of the onside kick - is truly an exciting option. Last year's onside kick rule change made it nearly impossible to recover an onside kick in the NFL, at least the proposed 4th and 15 gives a chance of a recovery. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Lose half your team with blown out knees because of kickoffs? The play that has been in the game forever but only recently has become an “issue?” The rationale you despise is simply accurate. You play the game because you want to. You take it for what it is with all the inherent risks. Kickoffs are part of the game. So are injuries. If you don’t want to play, don’t play. Racecar drivers realize every time they strap in, they could die. Same with bull riders...They still do it. And they aren’t turning around suing people when they run out of money.

Race cars are much safer now than in the past, because those is charge thought the fans would rather have drivers alive than dead . Bull riders are just plain stupid so who cares.  Not sure the point you're trying to make about lawsuits.

I'm sure the players are still willing to risk injury, they don't have much of a choice if the want to make it in the league, but the powers that be are smarter than some fans and realize having star players on the field is a better product than having them with blown out knees or concussions.

19 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

If you have been watching the AAF, the 4th and 12 - instead of the onside kick - is truly an exciting option. Last year's onside kick rule change made it nearly impossible to recover an onside kick in the NFL, at least the proposed 4th and 15 gives a chance of a recovery. 

How often are teams trying the 4th and 12? Only late in the game?

20 minutes ago, klos63 said:

How often are teams trying the 4th and 12? Only late in the game?

Not that often. It is a 4th and 12 from your own 28 so the stakes are high. I've only seen them attempted late in the game when a team is down by one score.

If a team is down by more than 17 points or more,  or there is less than 5 minutes left in the game, the trailing team can attempt the "Onside conversion".

Love the alternative to an onside. But one thing stuck out to me “The play could be attempted after any score, including a touchdown or a field goal. A team could also attempt the fourth-and-15 after giving up a safety.” 

Why on earth would a team that just gave up a safety have an option of performing an onside conversion. That’s just plain stupid. 

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

This would benefit my team (the Cheifs) SUBSTANTIALLY....and I still think it's a horrible idea.  If your team has proven itself over the course of 59 minutes or so in an NFL game, it SHOULD BE VERY HARD for the other team to win.  Onside kick recoveries are VERY HARD.  so be it.  What isn't very hard for a team like the Chiefs...is to ask Pat Mahomes to complete a 15 yard pass?  With Andy Ried?  They'd have 3 or 4 of these drawn up and practiced just for this occasion...and they'd convert this MOST OF THE TIME.  If your team has done enough to hold a team like the Chiefs and Mahomes down for 59 minutes and you are on the cusp of victory...do you really want to give the Chiefs an option to score 14 points in 1 minute to wipe out everything you did? 

Football is fun enough, enteraining enough, high scoring enough and fair enough as it is.  we don't need this.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Bills2ref said:

Love the alternative to an onside. But one thing stuck out to me “The play could be attempted after any score, including a touchdown or a field goal. A team could also attempt the fourth-and-15 after giving up a safety.” 

Why on earth would a team that just gave up a safety have an option of performing an onside conversion. That’s just plain stupid. 

I think you might be looking at it backwards. If the score was tied and then you suddenly give up a safety and are behind by two late in the game you might want to try this instead of just giving the other team the ball.

7 minutes ago, Zerovotlz said:

This would benefit my team (the Cheifs) SUBSTANTIALLY....and I still think it's a horrible idea.  If your team has proven itself over the course of 59 minutes or so in an NFL game, it SHOULD BE VERY HARD for the other team to win.  Onside kick recoveries are VERY HARD.  so be it.  What isn't very hard for a team like the Chiefs...is to ask Pat Mahomes to complete a 15 yard pass?  With Andy Ried?  They'd have 3 or 4 of these drawn up and practiced just for this occasion...and they'd convert this MOST OF THE TIME.  If your team has done enough to hold a team like the Chiefs and Mahomes down for 59 minutes and you are on the cusp of victory...do you really want to give the Chiefs an option to score 14 points in 1 minute to wipe out everything you did? 

Football is fun enough, enteraining enough, high scoring enough and fair enough as it is.  we don't need this.

If a team in a game can get 15 yards on a single down at will then that game was going to be a horribly one sided affair anyway. I mean seriously think about it if you screw up on this the other team is in immediate field goal range.

3 hours ago, Warcodered said:

I think you might be looking at it backwards. If the score was tied and then you suddenly give up a safety and are behind by two late in the game you might want to try this instead of just giving the other team the ball.

It’s a darn good sight Wrecks Ryan got out of football coaching.  Too much thinking about options as such, and his head would explode.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

1 hour ago, Joe in Winslow said:

It's only the worst play in the NFL because of rule changes made to make it "safer."

You can remove those quotes.  The new KO rules have actually made that play safer.  So you got a better idea?

Edited by BarleyNY

10 hours ago, Mij yllek said:

I like it. For safety reasons, the NFL cannot go back to the old rule--they would open themselves up to ridiculous liability. The rule as it is now is not working, gives almost no hope. This new idea gives the offense a fighting chance, and the fact that the old (new) onside kick is still an option, is good.

Go for it! Literally and literally!

Just now, BarleyNY said:

I’m pretty sure a 4th and 15 is football. Why disregard safety?  Do you advocate disregarding safety precautions in other industries?

It's FOOTBALL. it's violent by design, and the players are paid handsomely to take that risk.

5 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Yeah, quit handringing over safety and play football.

Well, in the day and age we live, that is no longer an option. It's also the reason you see foam padding at the playground now, and why my grandchildren will never know what a teeter-totter is. The world changes, all have to adapt, that's what the NFL is doing.