New rule to replace onside kick?

Just now, Joe in Winslow said:

It's FOOTBALL. it's violent by design, and the players are paid handsomely to take that risk.

Oh.  I see.  It’s the money they make (although not really special teams players).  That’s a sad, small mentality. 

19 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Oh.  I see.  It’s the money they make (although not really special teams players).  That’s a sad, small mentality. 

Excuse me while I out on shades to keep from being blinded by the radiant virtue of this response.

I was watching the European rugby tournament the other day. (I’ll still never be able to figure out the rules!) Those Guys are huge and they’re playing in nothing more than a T-shirt and shorts ...yet there isn’t all this talk to water down the sport. This is about fundamentals. If NFL players are getting injured it’s because they’re choosing poor tackling technique or being taught it by lazy coaches.

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Yeah, quit handringing over safety and play football.

Most kickoffs went for touchbacks and most onside kicks failed prior to last year- so the safety issue vs comparative excitement has to be looked at with that in mind. I am good with new rules and would like kickoffs gone since if is usually commercial timeout, kickoff for touchback, commercial- it is 5 minutes with one play.

11 hours ago, Mij yllek said:

The thing about the onside kick is that it's a play that can be used at any time, by either team during a game.  The rule here is 4th q specific, one time only and while obviously potentially exciting, there is a downside.  

"Let 'em play.".

"Good no call."

"Wow, a lot of contact there.". 

It seems to me the NFL struggles with consistency on passing plays to begin with, and who what why they call form game to game.  At a critical moment in the game, with the onside kick the judgement call is removed (mostly)  and clarity is provided to the fan. 

If the improved onside kick rule results in less than a 10% conversion rate, that is the way the gods of football intended it to be.

The AAF is a great testing ground for new rules.  I love the AAF eye in the sky, and televising it.  If the NFL doesn’t comply, they are going to look like they are hiding something.  Their games are limited to 2.5 hours so you can’t say it will take longer.  

If they we t for the 4th and 12, I’m fine with it, but only if the whole game.  Having a different rule for the 4 th qarter is wrong.  They should also still give the option of an on side kick.  Give the losing team options.  It won’t fly though.

12 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Make football physical again

Football will never NOT be physical.

Some of these rule changes are an effort to prevent an actual death from happening on the field of play.

For size comparison...

Aaron Maybin 6'4" 238lbs

Lawrence Taylor 6'3" 238lbs

What cut it back in the 80s and 90s ain't cutting it today.

2 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

It's FOOTBALL. it's violent by design, and the players are paid handsomely to take that risk.

So for sports entertainment, do you draw the line anywhere on safety? 

Or what about the participants drawing the line? Do they not get that right?

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

I was watching the European rugby tournament the other day. (I’ll still never be able to figure out the rules!) Those Guys are huge and they’re playing in nothing more than a T-shirt and shorts ...yet there isn’t all this talk to water down the sport. This is about fundamentals. If NFL players are getting injured it’s because they’re choosing poor tackling technique or being taught it by lazy coaches.

Football and rugby are two totally different sports with differnent rules being played differently. Why would you compare the two?  Do you see any rugby players getting blind sided by a 220 lb defensive back going full speed after catching a pass?

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

I always say that if we truly want to get rid of head trauma- minimal pads and no head gear.    There would still be big hits(not as big) and the game would be faster and safer.

The nfl is elite athletic warriors.  No helmet can be designed to prevent a brain slamming against its skull

11 hours ago, Bills2ref said:

Love the alternative to an onside. But one thing stuck out to me “The play could be attempted after any score, including a touchdown or a field goal. A team could also attempt the fourth-and-15 after giving up a safety.” 

Why on earth would a team that just gave up a safety have an option of performing an onside conversion. That’s just plain stupid. 

Um...you do know that a team can on-sides kick now after safety don't you?

2 hours ago, mikemac2001 said:

I’d prefer a 4th and 20 or 25 make it more challenging 15 yards is not that hard 

I'm thinking 4th and 30 but I'd be okay with 25. How many times do the bills give up first downs on 3rd or 4th and 15 through the years...way too many in my opinion.

46 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Take away the cups and supporters?  That might slow everyone down.

?

How about a rugby scrum to determine possession after a score?

Not after every score but certainly a good idea to replace the overtime coin flip with this.

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

I'm sure it's not at all related to the hard shell we wrap around the players.