Drew Lock's pro day went great, top 10 pick buzz grows

2 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Lock was much more productive against way better competition than Josh Allen was in college.  

What does that have to do with the statement I made?  Either he was a top 10 pick before the pro day or he shouldnt be one after his pro day.

6 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I could see someone trading with us to get ahead of Denver.  

I could also see Denver trading up one spot with us to prevent someone else from jumping ahead of them and stealing their guy.    If / when Denver calls while we're on the clock, Beane needs to act like there are multiple teams on the line wanting to trade up into the #9 spot forcing Elway's hand.   Flacco is clearly a place holder in Denver and Flacco's contract allows Elway to cut him at any point with no significant cap implications.

Best case scenario for us is that Denver moves up one spot with us to ensure they get their guy giving us their 2nd or 3rd round pick in return and we still get the guy we wanted all along at #10.

They’re not giving up a second to move from 10 to 9.  It only cost AZ a third last year to

move from 15 to 10.

39 minutes ago, mannc said:

They’re not giving up a second to move from 10 to 9.  It only cost AZ a third last year to

move from 15 to 10.

You may be right mannc but I wouldn't rule out the possibility of a 2nd rounder.  In 2017 the Chicago Bears gave up their 3rd and 4th round picks and their 2018 3rd rounder to move up one spot with San Francisco to draft Trubiski.  If a team thinks their franchise QB is sitting there at 9, I would expect Beane to ask a hefty price to drop back.

It will depend on how badly a team wants to move up and how shrewdly Beane negotiates.  I have faith in Beane.  He got the first pick of the 3rd round for Tyrod who he was going to release anyways.  He got a 5th rounder for McCarron.  I think Beane is a pretty savvy horse trader.

In any event, it is going to be a fun draft to be a Bills fan.  I expect Beane to be moving up and down the board throughout the entire draft as opportunities arise.  The best part for me is that my son and I are going to be there for the draft next month.  We are only two hours from Nashville.  Should be a great time. 

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 2

More QBs taken in the top ten, the better for us, if for no other fact than it drops quality down the board to us.

While I understand the salivating over trading down with someone to get more high round picks, if 3 QBs do go in the top 10, we are going to have some serious options still available at the #9 pick.

13 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/insider/story/_/id/26322249/pro-day-takeaways-why-drew-lock-getting-top-10-nfl-draft-buzz

"With Arizona interested in taking Murray at No. 1, a handful of teams will be interested in trading for Josh Rosen. Then it becomes Haskins versus Lock, and there are teams in the first round that prefer Lock over Haskins right now.

The Missouri QB has met with or has plans to meet with all of the QB-needy franchises, and he has plans to have a second meeting and workout with the Dolphins. With his smaller 9-inch hands, ideally he ends up in a dome or a warmer-weather situation, but I haven't seen any issues with weather on tape.

Lock marries confidence with the ability to relate with his teammates, and teams will like that. Murray has the natural instincts, and Haskins has incredible football intelligence, but teams will feel comfortable with who Lock is and his full résumé. Don't be surprised if you start hearing more top-10 buzz for Lock."

Sounds like Lock tore it up at his pro day.  A lot of scouts now thinking he is going to go in the top 10.  Music to my ears. 

Great, I hope several teams fall in love with him, if nothing else, gives BIlls more good options at 9, or if someone behind us is willing to trade up.

10 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

I think he is the top QB in this draft.  With a good proday and his film.  I think he is probably the only QB I take top 10.

I can't say I've watched all these QBs but, Lock has been around a long time with a lot of starts.  I saw him play 2-3 years ago and thought he had a successful NFL career ahead of him back then.  

• Like (+1) 1

I've seen many of his games.  When he's on, he's great.  Throws line drives 50 yards downfield.  But he has had awful games.  They played Kentucky this fall, and lost on the last play of the game.....but the reason they lost, in my opinion, is that Mizzou did not get one first down in the second half.  Zero first downs in the 2nd half.  At home.  Lousy.

But he has a great arm.

Hope this gets us into a better position.  

4 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

He's going to get overdrafted just like Blaine Gabbert did.

You know, it's hard to admit, but I really liked Gabbert coming out. Great arm, super smart. I think he needed to sit on the bench. He wound up playing for like 7 different offensive coordinators in his first 8 years which is nuts. Talk about setting a guy up for failure. But the true is he was too raw and was not developed properly. His trajectory was similar to JP Losman imo. 

I like Lock, but people are going to need to be patient. Same with Haskins.