Everyone talks OL and WR, but our ST sucked last season

6 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

That is a good question. Best guess is within coaching circles he probably knows what he is doing and is respected far more than this board knows his qualifications. 

Again, I don't care who the STs coach is. I won't give any credit to the new coordinator if they perform better nor criticize if they are the same or worse. Its all the players on the field.

...not 100% sure, but I thought there were some in season ST personnel changes that may have affected him (others will know much better)...but it does appear McBeane & Company are committed to addressing ST personnel along with a new ST Coach.......hopefully better days are ahead..........

3 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I'm not defending them. I am just not saying they are the root cause of the problem and simply replacing them will be an improvement.  I don't believe there is any correlation between ST coaches and performance on the field. Look at April and Crossman's careers. They both have had awful and highly rated units.  The Bills have had terrible WR and LB groups for a couple years now and the depth behind the starting secondary has either been injured or just not good. Those positon groups make up the bulk of the important ST groups.  

My question for you is, every person who has ever watched a football game knows you can't block in the back yet game after game multiple penalties.  Do you really think Crossman did not teach that?

And if you throw Crossman under the bus for the penalties, what about the rest of the staff for all the presnap penalties???

Again I don't care one bit who is the ST coach, I just know changing the coach is not an effective improvement strategy.

As for Miller and Mills, neither are even average but had ok moments.  Im just not convinced the replacements, while more expensive are any better. I've also criticized Teller who was even worse last year but hope will improve.

Gotcha dude and I'm not trying to call you out, just an observation. I do think coaches are to blame for pre snap penalties and things of that nature. They are clearly doing something wrong. And I think Castillo, Crossman, and Culley had proven that whatever they were doing was ineffective. It's a results orientated job and they were not getting the job done. There was a need for change there. Same for Miller and Mills. Like you said, whether the new guys will be better or not is up for debate and nobody knows, but you have to try something new when things aren't working. Like Albert Einstein said, "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." It was time for a change in those areas. 

9 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Gotcha dude and I'm not trying to call you out, just an observation. I do think coaches are to blame for pre snap penalties and things of that nature. They are clearly doing something wrong. And I think Castillo, Crossman, and Culley had proven that whatever they were doing was ineffective. It's a results orientated job and they were not getting the job done. There was a need for change there. Same for Miller and Mills. Like you said, whether the new guys will be better or not is up for debate and nobody knows, but you have to try something new when things aren't working. Like Albert Einstein said, "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." It was time for a change in those areas. 

I didn't think you were calling me out. 

I agree change was coming and hope for the better. I'm firmly in the camp that Shady is not in decline and it was all the OL and inexperienced QB play that hampered the run game. 

FYI, there is no evidence Einstein ever said the quote most attributed to him....

On 3/23/2019 at 7:06 PM, NoSaint said:

Its not a great post and is far from true. Guys like boobie and Easley were great teamers that were bad at their actual jobs as examples. Plenty of good players wouldn’t be particularly good special teamers.

Marcus Easley was a beast on special teams IMO

Edited by Pete

16 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I'm not defending them. I am just not saying they are the root cause of the problem and simply replacing them will be an improvement.  I don't believe there is any correlation between ST coaches and performance on the field.

You lost me right there

You're entitled to your opinion, but most people involved in sports indeed think coaching has a huge correlation to performance on the field.

In particular, most people would say that whether guys are out of position or miss tackles they are in a position to make and allow a big play has a lot to do with how they are being prepared and coached.  Most people would say whether guys commit dumb penalties also has a lot to do with preparation and is hugely influenced by the coaches.

13 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Nit, but the first known published use of this quote is actually a Narcotics Anonymous pamplet.  The misattribution to Einstein is commonly made, however.

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2017/03/23/same/

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, SoTier said:

Apparently, everybody is accountable except for McDermott and Beane -- y'know, the guys who hire assistant coaches and make decisions on players.

I'm uncertain of your basis for saying this?  A number of folks here regularly express reserved judgement or even doubt about both of them.

We take crap for it to, but it does get expressed.

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You lost me right there

You're entitled to your opinion, but most people involved in sports indeed think coaching has a huge correlation to performance on the field.

In particular, most people would say that whether guys are out of position or miss tackles they are in a position to make and allow a big play has a lot to do with how they are being prepared and coached.  Most people would say whether guys commit dumb penalties also has a lot to do with preparation and is hugely influenced by the coaches.

Nit, but the first known published use of this quote is actually a Narcotics Anonymous pamplet.  The misattribution to Einstein is commonly made, however.

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2017/03/23/same/

Defense and offensive coordinators I completely agree that coaching is crucial. Special teams coaching matters very little if at all especially with the rule changes outlawing things like the wedge.