Everyone talks OL and WR, but our ST sucked last season

11 minutes ago, tumaro02 said:

So is your point we should be signing people to help ST in which they are doing that or not signing people to help to promote a specific narrative? or 2. just to find something to criticize?

If you bothered to read anything other than the OP, I said this is good they are addressing all weaknesses of the team, since ST seems to something glossed over.  Is there a reason for your highly aggressive sounding response?   Are you looking to argue and fight with someone you will never meet in your life?

35 minutes ago, Seoulful Soul said:

If you bothered to read anything other than the OP, I said this is good they are addressing all weaknesses of the team, since ST seems to something glossed over.  Is there a reason for your highly aggressive sounding response?   Are you looking to argue and fight with someone you will never meet in your life?

He simply asked you a question. Stop being so thin skinned. Throughout this thread, you have been engaging in the very same behavior you are railing against.

• Like (+1) 5

8 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

He simply asked you a question. Stop being so thin skinned. Throughout this thread, you have been engaging in the very same behavior you are railing against.

Ya the guy berating everyone else for "talking tough" from the safety of the internet is tossing the most threats, lul.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Seoulful Soul said:

Yes I do.  But I also know that ST normal has that.  And giving up huge returns and stupid flags on ST plays is completely inexcusable.  I was on shoutcast here during games.  People on this site were screaming for Crossman's head with good reason.

Crossman wasn't the reason for the flags

I've always that that Special Teams was a reflection of the Head Coach.  It's not just a matter of picking up good bottom-53 players who can man the Teams, it's making sure to focus on it in practice (the best coaches give it almost an equal footing with Defense and Offense), film study, and game preparation.

PLUS in a salary cap league, focusing on Teams is a great way to improve your margin of victory at a low cost - it's inexpensive to sign quality special team players and coaches and focus on it during the week.

Beane seems to understand the importance of it.  Not yet sure that McDermott does.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, SoTier said:

t

Yeah, blame Crossman for not being able to turn crap into gold and fire his ass.  McBeane did the same with Castillo the OL coach.  McBeane seem to be really good at using scapegoats to disguise their own shortcomings in evaluating personnel.

Special team doesn’t require all stars. The ST unit was undisciplined and poorly coached. 

‘Scapegoat’ is a victim mentality interpretation.  

Holding coaches accountable for results is simply  strong competitive leadership.

Some folks can’t handle it and think that’s unfair.

I remind my kids constantly the world is not fair. 

26 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I've always that that Special Teams was a reflection of the Head Coach.  It's not just a matter of picking up good bottom-53 players who can man the Teams, it's making sure to focus on it in practice (the best coaches give it almost an equal footing with Defense and Offense), film study, and game preparation.

PLUS in a salary cap league, focusing on Teams is a great way to improve your margin of victory at a low cost - it's inexpensive to sign quality special team players and coaches and focus on it during the week.

Beane seems to understand the importance of it.  Not yet sure that McDermott does.

Good points. The other aspect is LB, S, CB, and TE depth. The backups at those positions often make up the core of your “teams” groups, and we had a serious lack of talent at those spots last season. Hopefully Beanes depth changes and the new coach bring us back up to par with the rest of the league. 

8 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Crossman wasn't the reason for the flags

Ethan I respect your opinion, but man you defend Jon Miller, Jordan Mills, and Danny Crossman? You are certainly on your own island my friend. Crossman was terrible and if the guys on your squad are committing lots of penalties, it's becuase your scheme sucks or you aren't teaching proper technique. It's a coache's job to get the best out his players, and that is why Crossman and Castillo are gone. Crossman got hired by a tanking team to help the tank and Castillo has no job. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

7 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Special team doesn’t require all stars. The ST unit was undisciplined and poorly coached. 

‘Scapegoat’ is a victim mentality interpretation.  

Holding coaches accountable for results is simply  strong competitive leadership.

Some folks can’t handle it and think that’s unfair.

I remind my kids constantly the world is not fair. 

Apparently, everybody is accountable except for McDermott and Beane -- y'know, the guys who hire assistant coaches and make decisions on players.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

Apparently, everybody is accountable except for McDermott and Beane -- y'know, the guys who hire assistant coaches and make decisions on players.

I’m not sure the point here so tears... but firing people you hired and cutting people you acquired is absolutely holding oneself accountable 

4 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Ethan I respect your opinion, but man you defend Jon Miller, Jordan Mills, and Danny Crossman? You are certainly on your own island my friend. Crossman was terrible and if the guys on your squad are committing lots of penalties, it's becuase your scheme sucks or you aren't teaching proper technique. It's a coache's job to get the best out his players, and that is why Crossman and Castillo are gone. Crossman got hired by a tanking team to help the tank and Castillo has no job. 

I'm not defending them. I am just not saying they are the root cause of the problem and simply replacing them will be an improvement.  I don't believe there is any correlation between ST coaches and performance on the field. Look at April and Crossman's careers. They both have had awful and highly rated units.  The Bills have had terrible WR and LB groups for a couple years now and the depth behind the starting secondary has either been injured or just not good. Those positon groups make up the bulk of the important ST groups.  

My question for you is, every person who has ever watched a football game knows you can't block in the back yet game after game multiple penalties.  Do you really think Crossman did not teach that?

And if you throw Crossman under the bus for the penalties, what about the rest of the staff for all the presnap penalties???

Again I don't care one bit who is the ST coach, I just know changing the coach is not an effective improvement strategy.

As for Miller and Mills, neither are even average but had ok moments.  Im just not convinced the replacements, while more expensive are any better. I've also criticized Teller who was even worse last year but hope will improve.

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...any idea why he was a holdover through 3 regimes?..........

That is a good question. Best guess is within coaching circles he probably knows what he is doing and is respected far more than this board knows his qualifications. 

Again, I don't care who the STs coach is. I won't give any credit to the new coordinator if they perform better nor criticize if they are the same or worse. Its all the players on the field.

20 hours ago, Seoulful Soul said:

I get what you’re saying. I think people came at you because you imply ST is ignored or glossed over. Not here it isn’t. Most people who visit here regularly are pretty plugged in on signings, coaching changes, team stregths, weaknesses, etc. The dismal ST last year did not go unnoticed (there were constant threads about ST every week during the season), nor did the moves the team’s made since then to address it. Suggesting these things were missed may be why you got some of the responses you did.