Drag Racing

BUFFALOKIE

Is drag racing a thing in WNY?  It has always been huge in OK. Tulsa was a premier strip back in the day (nowadays, not quite).

I spent many weekends, years ago, at the track with my dad - midnight drags weekly, nationals yearly, and everything in between. I have close friends on the drag bike circuit.

I've watched Street Outlaws religiously for years and there are a few NYers on the show. Do you dig the 405 boys? Do you like insane accelleration?

4 minutes ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

Is drag racing a thing in WNY?  It has always been huge in OK. Tulsa was a premier strip back in the day (nowadays, not quite).

All runners in WNY are encouraged to partake of the many foot races available, not just those who may have difficulty with gender identity, or see the need to dress unconventionally.

Lancaster still running drags?

’WNY Drag Racing News’ shows up as a Bookface page when you Google ‘WNY drag racing’.

24 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

All runners in WNY are encouraged to partake of the many foot races available, not just those who may have difficulty with gender identity, or see the need to dress unconventionally.

Lancaster still running drags?

’WNY Drag Racing News’ shows up as a Bookface page when you Google ‘WNY drag racing’.

I guess that is one difference between here and there. I'm talking fast cars, bro.

31 minutes ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

I spent many weekends, years ago, at the track with my dad - midnight drags weekly, nationals yearly, and everything in between. I have close friends on the drag bike circuit.

I've watched Street Outlaws religiously for years and there are a few NYers on the show. Do you dig the 405 boys? Do you like insane accelleration?

Lancaster Speedway is for sale and might go dark unless local attorney Paul Cambria follows through on his plan to buy it:

https://www.wivb.com/news/local-news/attorney-paul-cambria-considering-purchase-of-lancaster-speedway/1826586423

Drag racing in general is going downhill as its core participant base ages out.   While guys like Mike Janis and Jimmy Oddy are still around, it seems like the sport is on borrowed time.  I just went to the Gatornationals in Gainesville FL (one of the premier NHRA races in the country) and it felt like a nursing home convention...

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

used to hear ads for drag drag drag drag drag  racing at Cayuga on Buffalo radio

Dragway Park, Cayuga, Ontario advertised a great deal on WKBW 1520 am.  And ‘SUNDAY...NIAGARA’ , which was somewhere up in Niagara County.  A memory of that available at www.sundayniagaradragstrip.com

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

Lancaster Speedway is for sale and might go dark unless local attorney Paul Cambria follows through on his plan to buy it:

https://www.wivb.com/news/local-news/attorney-paul-cambria-considering-purchase-of-lancaster-speedway/1826586423

Drag racing in general is going downhill as its core participant base ages out.   While guys like Mike Janis and Jimmy Oddy are still around, it seems like the sport is on borrowed time.  I just went to the Gatornationals in Gainesville FL (one of the premier NHRA races in the country) and it felt like a nursing home convention...

Let's face facts...the place turned to ***** because they lacked security.

Far from dead a lot of racers are running 1/8 mile tracks in the south. NHRA at Gainesville was packed. Jim Oddy no longer drives but his still involved in supercharged aa/gs series. Mike Janis is the current NHRA pro mod champ and has a very successful business.

4 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Big drag racing strip near me. Atco raceway. Pretty fun!

Englishtown is history now. Tearing the place apart.

Leicester NY has a 1/4 mile track, right outside of Perry NY off of rte 20 a.

Outlaw pro mod series is huge and PDRl series strong as well. These run 1/8 mile.

Jan-cen on transit does a very good business. Mike sr has developed his own superchargers. Many racers are using his stuff. Paul Cambria runs a COPO Camaro along with his wife.

hopefully someone will buy lancaster. I have a feeling it’s history

Yes the business is expensive and has killed the sport. The younger group out there  likes import racing.

NHRA factory showdown with mustangs, COPO camaros and hellcat challengers are running low 8’s and high 7’s.

6 hours ago, Lurker said:

Wheelchair races coming soon.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

I'm a huge motorsports fan, but don't really like drag racing.

Having said that, I do enjoy watching the top fuel guys now and again.  What are they up to now? 10,000 bhp?  

They are doing quarter miles in like 3.9 seconds at like 340 mph or something.

That's insane.

11 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

They are doing quarter miles in like 3.9 seconds at like 340 mph or something.

Sadly, no more quarter mile for the nitro cars--they just run 1,000 feet now.   Top speeds are being held in the 330 range for insurance and tire safety purposes.    The #1 top fuel qualifier at the recent Gatornationals, Brittany Force, ran a 3.68 second pass at 326 mph.  

https://www.nhra.com/results/2019/nhra-mello-yello-drag-racing-series/22976/qualifying-order

Edited by Lurker

This is ten years old, or better, but I still enjoy....

Acceleration put into perspective:

/* One Top Fuel dragster outfitted with a 500 cubic-inch Hemi engine makes more horsepower (8,000 HP) than the first// /4 rows at NASCAR's Daytona 500... //

/* Under full throttle, a dragster engine will consume 11.2 gallons of nitro methane per second; a fully loaded Boeing// /747 consumes jet fuel at the same rate but with 25% less energy being produced. // /** A stock Dodge Hemi V8 engine cannot produce enough power to merely drive the dragster's supercharger. (Note: the new Chrysler Hemi is not a true hemi. It is only a "Hemi" because Chrysler has the trademark on the name and chooses to call this engine a "Hemi") */ /* With 3000 CFM of air being rammed in by the supercharger on overdrive, the fuel mixture is compressed into a near-solid form before ignition. Cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lockup at full throttle.. / /* At the stoichiometric 1.7:1 air/fuel mixture for nitro methane the flame front temperature measures 7050 degrees F./ /* Nitro methane burns yellow. The spectacular white flame seen above the stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen, dissociated from atmospheric water vapor by the searing exhaust gases. / /* Dual magnetos supply 44 amps to each sparkplug, which is typically the output of an electric arc welder in each cylinder./ /* Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass./ /*After 1/2 way thru the run, the engine is 'dieseling' from compression and the glow of the exhaust valves at 1400 degrees F. The engine can only be shut down by cutting the fuel flow.... / /* If spark momentarily fails early in the run, unburned nitro builds up in the affected cylinders and then explodes with enough force sufficient to blow the cylinder heads off the block in pieces or split the block in half!! / /* Top fuel dragsters reach over 300 MPH +... before you have completed reading this sentence. / /* In order to exceed 300 MPH in 4.5 seconds, a dragster must accelerate an average of over 4 G's. In order to reach 200 MPH well before reaching half-track, at launch the acceleration approaches 8 G's. / /* Top Fuel engines turn approximately 675 revolutions from light to light! / /* Including the burnout, the engine must only survive 9000 revolutions under load. / /* The red line is actually quite high at 9500 RPM. / /* THE BOTTOM LINE: Assuming all the equipment is paid for, the pit crew is working for free, & NOTHING BLOWS UP, each run will cost an estimated $1000 per second. / /0 to 100 MPH in .8 seconds (the first 60 feet of the run) / /0 to 200 MPH in 2.2 seconds (the first 350 feet of the run)/ ///6 g-forces at the starting line (nothing accelerates faster on land) / /6 negative g-forces upon deployment of twin 'chutes at 300 MPH / /An NHRA Top Fuel Dragster accelerates quicker than any other land vehicle on earth. . Quicker than a jet fighter plane.... quicker than the space shuttle.... or snapping your fingers!! / /The current Top Fuel dragster elapsed time record is 4.420 seconds for the quarter-mile (2004, Doug Kalitta). The top speed record is 337.58 MPH as measured over the last 66' of the run (2005, Tony Schumacher). / /So, in summary... Let's now put this all into perspective: Imagine this.... You are driving a new $140,000 Lingenfelter twin-turbo powered Corvette Z-06. Over a mile up the road, a Top Fuel dragster is staged & ready to 'launch' down a quarter-mile strip as you pass. You have the advantage of a flying start. You run the 'Vette hard, on up through the gears and blast across the starting line, and pass the dragster at an honest 200 MPH.... The 'tree' goes green for both of you at that exact moment. The dragster departs & starts after you. You keep your foot buried hard to the floor, and suddenly you hear an incredibly brutally screaming whine that sears and pummels your eardrums & within a mere 3 seconds the dragster effortlessly catches & passes you. He beats you to the finish line, a quarter-mile away from where you just passed him. Think about it - from a standing start, the dragster had spotted you 200 MPH.... and it not only caught, but nearly blasted you off the planet when he passed you within a mere 1320 foot long race !!!! / /That my friend..... is acceleration! /

Edited by BUFFALOKIE
  • Thank you (+1) 1