DE, Jachai Polite, FL in the 2nd Rnd

wppete

This guys has fallen out of the 1st round in a lot of mocks because of a poor showing at the combine but if he is there at #40 I hope we take him. He is a stud, super high motor, great rushing technique and moves. Plays fast, didn’t have a good 40 at the combine, 4.8. But If we draft Ed Oliver at #9 and then get Polite at #40 we have really improved our pass rush next year. 2 studs.

5 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Really fast off the edge, but I don't see him fitting the scheme.  He's a 3-4 OLB, IMO

I see that you are saying. But he does remind me of Jerry hughes. Relentless pass rusher.

4 minutes ago, wppete said:

I see that you are saying. But he does remind me of Jerry hughes. Relentless pass rusher.

Yeah, and he's really flexible and bendy around the corner.  I just don't think I ever really saw him with his hand in the dirt.  I don't really see a fit, but who knows, getting to the QB is certainly at a premium.  

26 minutes ago, CSBill said:

there are character concerns

I just think there are a lot of maturity issues with Polite, although I will not deny his productivity and hustle.

I read an article where he was given advice at Florida to stay another year. They wanted him to consider the defensive depth in this year's draft, and they felt another year could help him better develop his game. He would not listen.

They also tried to prep him for what he would face in the combine, but that did not seem to stick either.

He just did not do himself any favors and came off as a bit of a slow-blinker.

Some team will pick him up as he has flashed the raw potential, but he is a project in regards to his coachability and poor habits.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/03/jachai-polite-combine-40-time-interviews

• Like (+1) 1

Biggest audition of his life and he showed up out of shape, overweight and surly.  Several clubs said worst interview ever at Combine.

Not a prayer he becomes a Bill. 

Edited by freddyjj

1 hour ago, WideNine said:

I just think there are a lot of maturity issues with Polite, although I will not deny his productivity and hustle.

I read an article where he was given advice at Florida to stay another year. They wanted him to consider the defensive depth in this year's draft, and they felt another year could help him better develop his game. He would not listen.

They also tried to prep him for what he would face in the combine, but that did not seem to stick either.

He just did not do himself any favors and came off as a bit of a slow-blinker.

Some team will pick him up as he has flashed the raw potential, but he is a project in regards to his coachability and poor habits.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/03/jachai-polite-combine-40-time-interviews

Wow aful look. After reading that I don’t think Polite is a McDermott guy. 

Depends who they take in rd 1.  If they go Sweat or Burns I dont think Polite makes that much sense.  I really think Buffalo needs to add more weapons on offense.  Zay Jones, Robert Foster, Jon Brown, and Cole Beasly are role players.  They need to add something more.  If they dont go pass catcher in rd 1 I'm out on polite.  If they go Hockenson or Metcalf I would be all for it.

Based on the article linked, Polite probably shouldn't be selected until about the 5th round, as it sounds like it'll take him all of his first contract years, to figure out how to be a pro.

A good DC will get some production out of him in the meantime, especially on obvious passing plays, but you wouldn't want to bet the farm that the guy understands what it means to be a professional in the NFL, before about his third year - and he seems so uncommitted, that it may not even be then.

This has 'dumb kid wastes talent' written all over it, as a highly possible outcome.