Perkins as a TE candidate

9 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....so we waste our time on a POTENTIAL convert with TE talent abound in tihs draft?.........perfect logic......SMH.....

This wasn't about displacing anyone in the regular draft.   This was about does the guy have the talent to succeed and if so take a shot with him as a FA.    Like they did with Jason Peters.  Don't know how you managed to read anything else into it.   ...SMH...

I don't know if he has plans to try to be an NBA player but thought maybe someone from the Buffalo area might have heard something with respect to that.

1 minute ago, Greybeard said:

This wasn't about displacing anyone in the regular draft.   This was about does the guy have the talent to succeed and if so take a shot with him as a FA.    Like they did with Jason Peters.  Don't know how you managed to read anything else into it.   ...SMH...

I don't know if he has plans to try to be an NBA player but thought maybe someone from the Buffalo area might have heard something with respect to that.

...I would venture to say apples to oranges...Peters was ALREADY in football and made the conversion...same for George Wilson from WR to safety.....we're talking a transition from college BB to NFL TE......how is that the same in your view?....just askin'.....

Just now, formerlyofCtown said:

I like him, just not at 9. With the players that will likely be there.  I hope we got some bad scouting departments in need of QBs picking before us.

I can't justify a TE that high.  I wanted the Bills to draft Coby Fleener way back when.  That would have been a mistake.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I assume the Bills will want 4 TEs on the 53 man roster, and they want to be able to play any one of them.  That rules out a newbie basketball to football convert.   However, if they like the guy and it works out, there's no reason he couldn't be signed and stashed away on the PS for a year to learn how to play.

1 hour ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Meh, I want a premier guy like Hock!

Exactly,  if we're going to draft a TE it might as well be a compelling guy. I'm tired of all the mediocre TE's we've had since Metzelaars. And Pete was no Gronk....

Edited by LABILLBACKER

12 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...I would venture to say apples to oranges...Peters was ALREADY in football and made the conversion...same for George Wilson from WR to safety.....we're talking a transition from college BB to NFL TE......how is that the same in your view?....just askin'.....

In my view it was not the same, but since I don't know if any other basketball player has made the transition, I chose a comparison I could make, although I understood it was not the best.   In the Peters case, it turned out to be a great player but even a decent starter out of free agency is good.

I believe other basketball players have been drafted but I have no recall on how any of them worked out.  My question was a simple, is the guy possibly good enough to make it and if he had no other plans, I thought it was worth the risk as an undrafted FA.  The fact that he was playing for UB made it a little bit more interesting.

When if comes to drafting guys and changing position,  the best change of position in Bills history would be Robert James. 

When it comes to players making the team,  I agree it is a long shot for someone not in the sport to make it.  A much longer shot than someone already in the sport.   I have always been of the opinion that even those players most fans think are bums have accomplished quite a bit.  They have made it in a league against the very best.  Even is they do so for only one year.  If they do it for more than that, more power to them.  And that holds for any pro sport.  So, if we were talking odds, yes the odds are very long anyone not already playing in a sport can make it. 

Interesting how, in some posts, this has drifted into the who to fill the TE position with.  It was never meant to be that.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

In my view it was not the same, but since I don't know if any other basketball player has made the transition

I don't know enough about Perkins to comment on his potential to transition to football, but it strikes me as odd that you'd start this thread and not be familiar with Antonio Gates.

Almost certainly nothing to see here, but it has been done.

Ex Golden Griffin, Chris Manhertz has made 2 NFC south rosters... (NO, CAR)... -OBD saw the talent, but couldn't do a damn thing with it...

Heck, they've been lousy at developing TE's for years now... (Gragg, Chandler, O'Leary, Croom) -I say go out and draft a real TE, and then hope like heck his

talent outpaces the inferior coaching he's sure to receive.

Edited by #34fan
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, #34fan said:

Ex Golden Griffin, Chris Manhertz has made 2 NFC south rosters... (NO, CAR)... -OBD saw the talent, but couldn't do a damn thing with it...

Heck, they've been lousy at developing TE's for years now... (Gragg, Chandler, O'Leary, Croom) -I say go out and draft a real TE, and then hope like heck his

talent outpaces the inferior coaching he's sure to receive.

Neither could they.

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

Neither could they.

Is that why CAR just re-upped him for two years?  

Manhertz is a very good blocking TE, and effective decoy... He's also money for the odd trick play... Few teams keep totally useless players on their active roster (like the Bills do.)

Manhertz has value.

5 minutes ago, #34fan said:

Is that why CAR just re-upped him for two years?  

Manhertz is a very good blocking TE, and effective decoy... He's also money for the odd trick play... Few teams keep totally useless players on their active roster (like the Bills do.)

Manhertz has value.

He's strictly a "reliable" blocking TE at this point.  I wouldn't say the Bills missed-out on a whole lot.