Perkins as a TE candidate

23 minutes ago, #34fan said:

Ex Golden Griffin, Chris Manhertz has made 2 NFC south rosters... (NO, CAR)... -OBD saw the talent, but couldn't do a damn thing with it...

Heck, they've been lousy at developing TE's for years now... (Gragg, Chandler, O'Leary, Croom) -I say go out and draft a real TE, and then hope like heck his

talent outpaces the inferior coaching he's sure to receive.

He has a career at this point. He’s like 5 years in or something. 

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

He's strictly a "reliable" blocking TE at this point.  I wouldn't say the Bills missed-out on a whole lot.

I can't say how much they missed, but they sure as hell missed something...  You cut a non-football player after a tryout period and that's supposed to be "the end."

Clearly with Manhertz, it wasn't... Someone turned that potential into real value.

1 hour ago, Greybeard said:

This wasn't about displacing anyone in the regular draft.   This was about does the guy have the talent to succeed and if so take a shot with him as a FA.    Like they did with Jason Peters.  Don't know how you managed to read anything else into it.   ...SMH...

I don't know if he has plans to try to be an NBA player but thought maybe someone from the Buffalo area might have heard something with respect to that.

Nice indenting!

14 minutes ago, #34fan said:

I can't say how much they missed, but they sure as hell missed something...  You cut a non-football player after a tryout period and that's supposed to be "the end."

Clearly with Manhertz, it wasn't... Someone turned that potential into real value.

The Saints had him on their practice squad for the 2015 season and then the active roster to start the 2016 season.  They released him after a few games.

18 minutes ago, Doc said:

The Saints had him on their practice squad for the 2015 season and then the active roster to start the 2016 season.  They released him after a few games.

Only to be claimed off waivers the next day by CAR... (he didn't clear waivers as Saints thought he would.)

Since then he's played in 39 games for the Panthers who, recalling the Saints error, locked him up to a 2-year deal before he could enter free agency in '19.

3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Perk has gotten looks from NBA scouts along with Massenberg. He might be busy Sundays.

Yeah these UB kids are a little different than what we usually produce. These kids are professional basketball players. They can go to Europe and make a couple million without expenses.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, #34fan said:

Only to be claimed off waivers the next day by CAR... (he didn't clear waivers as Saints thought he would.)

Since then he's played in 39 games for the Panthers who, recalling the Saints error, locked him up to a 2-year deal before he could enter free agency in '19.

Friend of yours?

20 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Perk has gotten looks from NBA scouts along with Massenberg. He might be busy Sundays.

Perhaps with yardwork.. Even if he does make an NFL PS, there are still long odds he'll be called up to an active roster.

There are just a few pro teams that bet measurably on TE's... Colts could be a nice spot to develop... Eagles.... Seahawks...

Might just want to stick to hoops... NFL TE is a tough market for those who are good at it, never mind those who aren't.

16 minutes ago, Doc said:

Friend of yours?

I like his story.  I also think he's a damn good blocker.

Edited by #34fan

4 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

I like him, just not at 9. With the players that will likely be there.  I hope we got some bad scouting departments in need of QBs picking before us.

There always are... Bosa is within reach and so is Hockenson. I have a pipedream for both but we know that'll never occur? Therefore a tradedown for Hock is a must.

4 hours ago, Doc said:

I can't justify a TE that high.  I wanted the Bills to draft Coby Fleener way back when.  That would have been a mistake.

Fleener was good but not great. Luck obviously made him look amazing in college and NFL at times. Thats why you go get the best talent. Luck in that draft and Bosa then Hock in this one...

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Yeah these UB kids are a little different than what we usually produce. These kids are professional basketball players. They can go to Europe and make a couple million without expenses.

They are a REALLY nice team, but I'll definitely be rooting for them against Texas Tech for selfish reasons. Go blue.?

7 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

You would have to know for a fact he was gonna be like Gronk.

And even then, if you missed an elite talent at a few other positions it’d still be the wrong choice - just sting less.

8 hours ago, Greybeard said:

I wonder if Nick Perkins from the UB basketball team would be a good TE.  He probably would be available as an undrafted FA.  I think he is worth a shot.

If he played at San Antonio state would you still pick him out of all the bball players or is it really the buffalo connection? 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, formerlyofCtown said:

I could see that.  But Gronk has been a thorn in the side of NE opponents for a long time.  The only one worse is Edelman.

He has. But I bet you’d take Julio Jones, aj Green Calvin Johnson type receivers before him. 

They are are just more impactful on the defensive game plan than a TE is.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

He has. But I bet you’d take Julio Jones, aj Green Calvin Johnson type receivers before him. 

They are are just more impactful on the defensive game plan than a TE is.

I would but could argue some of those are a headache.

Its all irrelevant though because I would take Aaron Donald, Fletcher Cox or Khalil Mack over all of them.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

15 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

BIG ATHLETIC BASKETBALL PLAYERRRRR....MUST MAKE HIM TIGHT ENDDDDDD....

I don't know about Perkins, but there are a lot of athletic basketball players who measure around 6'4" & 240-250. The ones who played HS football are the one who should be targeted as possible free agent signings.