New offseason territory and a Draft Would Ya?

Virgil

For the first time in a long time, we are going into an offseason with a lot of cash and not a lot of spots to fill. Yes, we can upgrade, but the end result will be the same of having to make some tough choices come camp time.  

I’m taking a lot of signings with a grain of salt because I know they have to win the job. As much as I want them to sign some more guys, it will be tough without a job to guarantee. 

With that being said, here’s my “would ya?”

Are you good with packaging picks to move up a few times in the draft? Instead of picks, what if we only walked away with 4, but it’s a top 5 pick, 2nd, 4th and 7th?  (I’m guessing at trade results). But with the lack of holes, would you be okay sacrificing quantity picks for a home run, ie Josh Allen or Williams?  

I’m going to trust the process, but with such a deep TE draft, I’d be okay with them trying to add an impact defensive player by trading up a bit. 

Thoughts?

HAD a lot of cash, had,  we spent quite a bit.

I am also taking several signings with a grain of salt, notably Johnson, Gore Waddle Feliciano

As far as TE, not sure what they are thinking, signed one TE free agent already and claimed they are pleased with Croom.

No i wouldn't move up in this draft, stay where we are,

I believe Beane when he says you use FA for filling holes and Draft for BPA, except for maybe QB and K, i think the go right by their draft board for BPA...with a slight emphasis for T, DT Edge Rushed WR.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive

I'd absolutely do it for Josh Allen. Not only because I believe he's the best player in this draft, but because he immediately catapults the Bills pass rush from lackluster to elite. 

I think we filled enough holes via FA'cy to at least consider this type of move.

• Like (+1) 2

I don’t see how we move into the top five while holding onto our second round pick, but I agree with the main point, which is we are in a position to trade away picks to move up the draft board. 

I see this playing out when there is player who stands out on the Bills draft board that they feel is worth sacrificing a later pick to go up and get (I.e. Edmunds last year). 

I don't see us trading up in the first as after the first three or four picks, as the drop off from one player to the next doesn’t appear to be huge. We could still trade back in the first, if the trade partner overpays to move up (eg Washington trading up from 15 for a QB).

After the first pick, we are more likely to trade up for the players standing out on the Bills board. We don’t need 10 rookies this year, so going after quality instead of quantity makes sense to me. 

I'd rather see them add 5 high quality players that they really like, even if it means using their extra 4th and 5th rounders to move up a few times. 

I don't need to see 10 players added. They won't be able to find roster spots for 10 players. I don't expect them to draft more than 7 players at most.

Beane and McDermott's recent draft history also shows that they like moving up in the early rounds if the price is right (Dawkins, Zay, Allen, and Edmunds were all selected after trade-ups).

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I'd absolutely do it for Josh Allen. Not only because I believe he's the best player in this draft, but because he immediately catapults the Bills pass rush from lackluster to elite. 

I think we filled enough holes via FA'cy to at least consider this type of move.

I want a monopoly on Josh Allens.

Edited by Philo Beddoe
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I’m torn between trading up for a Williams or Allen or having them stay put, get a OT at 9, then trade back into the first to get a TE.  

From there, just find another Milano because that’s so easy for them to do ?

35 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I want him solely for the fact that nobody's going to know which Allen threads are talking about ??

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Logic said:

I'd rather see them add 5 high quality players that they really like, even if it means using their extra 4th and 5th rounders to move up a few times. 

I don't need to see 10 players added. They won't be able to find roster spots for 10 players. I don't expect them to draft more than 7 players at most.

Beane and McDermott's recent draft history also shows that they like moving up in the early rounds if the price is right (Dawkins, Zay, Allen, and Edmunds were all selected after trade-ups).

I predict we trade back into the 1st for a player, and possibly again in the second.  And I predict that somehow we end up with some 2020 picks

• Like (+1) 1

Their 2 4ths might get them into the back end of the 3rd if they wanted.

If the right player was still available after their 2nd pick, they might be able to trade their 3rd and both 4ths to get back to the middle of the 2nd.

1 minute ago, Pete said:

I predict we trade back into the 1st for a player, and possibly again in the second.  And I predict that somehow we end up with some 2020 picks

They don’t really have enough value in picks to do both.

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

For the first time in a long time, we are going into an offseason with a lot of cash and not a lot of spots to fill. Yes, we can upgrade, but the end result will be the same of having to make some tough choices come camp time.  

I’m taking a lot of signings with a grain of salt because I know they have to win the job. As much as I want them to sign some more guys, it will be tough without a job to guarantee. 

Are you good with packaging picks to move up a few times in the draft? Instead of picks, what if we only walked away with 4, but it’s a top 5 pick, 2nd, 4th and 7th?  (I’m guessing at trade results). But with the lack of holes, would you be okay sacrificing quantity picks for a home run, ie Josh Allen or Williams?  

I’m going to trust the process, but with such a deep TE draft, I’d be okay with them trying to add an impact defensive player by trading up a bit. 

Thoughts?

Try and go get Bosa then Hockenson, it can be done. 

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

Thoughts?

#9 Ed Oliver

#22 Trade with Baltimore 

Send #2nd 40, 3rd 74th , 4th & 5th 

Draft TJ Hockenson

1 hour ago, Forward Progress said:

I don’t see how we move into the top five while holding onto our second round pick, but I agree with the main point, which is we are in a position to trade away picks to move up the draft board. 

I see this playing out when there is player who stands out on the Bills draft board that they feel is worth sacrificing a later pick to go up and get (I.e. Edmunds last year). 

I don't see us trading up in the first as after the first three or four picks, as the drop off from one player to the next doesn’t appear to be huge. We could still trade back in the first, if the trade partner overpays to move up (eg Washington trading up from 15 for a QB).

After the first pick, we are more likely to trade up for the players standing out on the Bills board. We don’t need 10 rookies this year, so going after quality instead of quantity makes sense to me. 

We would have to use next years capital to move up to top 5.  That is an expensive trade.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

I’m torn between trading up for a Williams or Allen or having them stay put, get a OT at 9, then trade back into the first to get a TE.  

From there, just find another Milano because that’s so easy for them to do ?

That's the strategy I like. Take BPA defensive front 7 at 9 then move back up to make sure to get a guy like Metcalf / Hockenson / Fant or one of the OTs.

3 hours ago, Virgil said:

Thoughts?

The only thing I don't want to see is a first pick after 9.  I don't see any trade down scenario that would make me happy.  And yes ... I would.  I'd totally be down with making moves to get fewer, but higher quality, picks.

• Like (+1) 1