Does it seem like the Bills are adding FA more selectively and with more purpose this year as opposed to previous years?

It has occurred to me over the last few days that Beane has taken a very strategic approach to the FA's that he has signed.  None of them just scream "camp fodder" to me. They all seem to address an obvious need.  Under previous regimes, we were signing players that didn't address an obvious need and that most of us knew would not make the final 53 or the practice squad.  Am I just drinking the Kool-Aid or has there really been a change?

I've been very high on Beane since day 1 . I think it's absolutely true , he's said on multiple occasions , FA is for filling needs and the draft is for BPA. This is the first year we get to see him in action without being severely cash strapped. Most importantly , him and McD seem to be on the exact same page and have the same blueprint and vision for this team being successful

23 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

It has occurred to me over the last few days that Beane has taken a very strategic approach to the FA's that he has signed.  None of them just scream "camp fodder" to me. They all seem to address an obvious need.  Under previous regimes, we were signing players that didn't address an obvious need and that most of us knew would not make the final 53 or the practice squad.  Am I just drinking the Kool-Aid or has there really been a change?

What is most noticeable is the number of FA signings.....

27 minutes ago, NewEra said:

We have lots of cash.  Of course

I think it's more than that. How we freed up all the cash and how quickly we got involved in FA clearly shows that there is a well thought out strategy at play here. This is a very different organization from the Whaley power struggle game of thrones that we had before 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

Of course there's really been a change.  The Bills already have most of their "camp fodder" among the holdovers from last year's roster, most notably on offense.

2 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

what are we gonna do with a dozen line guys and a dozen receivers?...seriously?

Pick the best ones and cut the rest maybe?

Actually, he’ll probably trade the bum ones for 5th round picks. 

Edited by WotAGuy
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

50 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Of course there's really been a change.  The Bills already have most of their "camp fodder" among the holdovers from last year's roster, most notably on offense.

That's for sure.  Hopefully this will be the last year they need to add so many  free agents to make up for the woeful lack of talent.  I think Beane is doing it right.  Get things stable and then build through the draft.    

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

Yes, this.  While there might be a lot of line and receivers, I can only see a handful at best of locks from each position.

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

We have lots of cash.  Of course

...DEAD on bud....last year we were cash strapped after cap clean up.....signed wounded ducks like Murphy (hope he's FINALLY healthy), Halftime Vontae and got fleeced by Pitstop Coleman......this year has McBeane dealing from his intended position of strength, calling HIS shots......no more dings, dents, carpetbaggers, or fleecers necessary....BEST damn position in the last decade+..................

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

The NFL has a huge gap in even average offensive lineman, the Bills have added depth and with cap space they can hold onto guys like Ducasse and Bodine until after the draft and see if they can trade them for late round picks in 2020.

its all about building depth at as many positions as financially possible.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1