Does Jake Fisher Signing mean the end of Patrick DiMarco

I’m in heaven watching these smart signings.  Out of all these. Pick ups, only Morse is committed beyond 2019.  I hope people are getting more hopeful now with another 10 draft spots.  My dream is we bundle the extra 4 and swap the 2 to get back in the late 1st, bundle our 3rd and extra 5th, to ge.t get into the second, and bundle the extra 7th with our 4 th to move higher in the 4th.

The percentage 5th through 7 th’s usually do not start.  7 better picks is great compared to 10 picks, and just toss to the practice squad.  We get 5 starters of 7 picks would be awesome.

Go BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

I’m guessing they draft a guy in round 6 or 7 that meets the true description that the OP has proposed.   

Either Fisher or this guy make the team.  They see something with Fisher but it seems like a long road to make the team. 

Another Logan Thomas like project?  However, I remember (old guy) Billy Cannon....the heisman trophy rb from LSU....became an all pro TE in Oakland.  So, conversions can happen.

Edited by bigK14094

20 minutes ago, CSBill said:

If nothing else, it gives him serious competition. DiMarco is the kind of high-character guy McDermott likes, but it appears no one's job is safe in this offense this off-season.

True.  

I think Frank Gore is the short yardage back so who knows what happens. 

This roster will be much better than last years and I’m excited about this season. 

I'm wondering if Fisher will also be used as a backup tackle and will practice some with O-line.  To me if that is the case he has a higher likely hood of making the team.  I'd have thought they'd sign/draft one good receiving TE, so far signed two good blockers, Croom isn't a bad receiver based on his experience, but not a true TE.  Assuming they still draft or sign J Cook that gives them their true TE receiving threat so unless it turns out Fisher is a better receiving threat than Croom, can see Fisher getting cut unless he's also viewed as backup tackle and maybe even as the OP asked FB too.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, custcarcen said:

Makes some sense but limits you in the case of an injury to him. But it would allow them to deactivate DiMarco on game day to put a more needed player on the active roster perhaps if the situation dictated it.

I think that is kind of the OP’s point. If Dimarco isn’t going to be active you should just cut him and save the $1.1M. Personally I think Dimarco sucks. The running game has seriously regressed and he can’t catch. I’m not sure what he does well?

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

Another Logan Thomas like project?  However, I remember (old guy) Billy Cannon....the heisman trophy rb from LSU....became an all pro TE in Oakland.  So, conversions can happen.

Yes, Billy Cannon was a great AFL player.  

Sure conversions can and do happen.  Having a TE that can play OT is a plus, just like a C/OG.   Versatile smart players are always good to have. 

Edited by Bob in STL

So I think Fisher is interesting, but we can't bank on anything yet. McDermott seems to love DiMarco. That said I wouldn't  hesitate to replace him with younger guys with upside. 

Michael Burton, formerly of the Bears and Lions has been one of the better fullbacks in the league over the past 3-4 years and he's currently a free agent. He would be a huge upgrade. Just turned 27 and is a former teammate of Tyler Kroft at Rutgers. 

Dan Vitale has been floating around the league. In fact we claimed him at one point and waived him becuase a failed physical or something. He was the Super back at Northwestern and is only 25. I think he has some untapped potential as a blocker and receiver. He would also become the fastest player in the running back room. He kind of reminds me of Zach Line, who got the ball a lot in college and took a while to develop into a great fullback. Vitale is going through that transition right now, but there is upside here. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
Spelling
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

So I think Fisher is interesting, but we can't bank on anything yet. McDermott seems to love DiMarco. That said I would hesitate to replace him with younger guys with upside. 

Micahel Burton, formerly of the Bears and Lions has been one of the better fullbacks in the league over the past 3-4 years and he's currently a free agent. He would be a huge upgrade. Just turned 27 and is a former teammate of Tyler Kroft at Rutgers. 

Dan Vitale has been floating around the league. In fact we claimed him at one point and waived him becuase a failed physical or something. He was the Super back at Northwestern and is only 25. I think he has some untapped potential as a blocker and receiver. He would also become the fastest player in the running back room. He kind of reminds me of Zach Line, who got the ball a lot in college and took a while to develop into a great fullback. Vitale is going through that transition right now, but there is upside here. 

McDermott sees DiMarco as one of the leaders for the offense.  You could see it in that series of "embedded" videos that they released during preseason last year.  How much McD values his leadership role, I really don't know.  Maybe they figure that with Allen stepping into that offensive leadership role, DiMarco's leadership becomes less important and they are willing to release him

• Like (+1) 1

I am guessing the role they have in mind for Fisher is HBack to some degree at least.  Theoretically, assuming he can play, he can offer blocking on running or passing plays from the backfield, and be capable of being an outlet on the pass, even spreading out to offer a different pressure on the defense.  The Bills rarely used the fullback formation last year, and DiMarco is very limited - poor runner and receiver.  Who knows if he will actually win the job, but I would think it is either him or DiMarco.  

3 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Fisher will be a huge target for Josh Allen.  He will have an impact this season.  Expect about 40 receptions this season

What evidence do you have that Fisher will even make the team?

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I'm wondering if Fisher will also be used as a backup tackle and will practice some with O-line.  To me if that is the case he has a higher likely hood of making the team.  I'd have thought they'd sign/draft one good receiving TE, so far signed two good blockers, Croom isn't a bad receiver based on his experience, but not a true TE.  Assuming they still draft or sign J Cook that gives them their true TE receiving threat so unless it turns out Fisher is a better receiving threat than Croom, can see Fisher getting cut unless he's also viewed as backup tackle and maybe even as the OP asked FB too.

Good points.  I think they will draft their long term answer for TE this year.  It might not be in the earliest rounds of the draft as some people want.  This draft has a good number of quality TE's.

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Cook went to the Saints

2 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

I’m guessing they draft a guy in round 6 or 7 that meets the true description that the OP has proposed.   

Either Fisher or this guy make the team.  They see something with Fisher but it seems like a long road to make the team. 

I'd say this roster already is A LOT better than it was season. But, we know they aren't drafting for need, and I think especially in the later rounds they'll be going BPA.

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think that is kind of the OP’s point. If Dimarco isn’t going to be active you should just cut him and save the $1.1M. Personally I think Dimarco sucks. The running game has seriously regressed and he can’t catch. I’m not sure what he does well?

I questioned the need for DiMarco after the Gore signing.  I did look up his offensive unit snap count and it was like 18%.

IF Daboll can find ways that Fischer (if he makes the team) and Gore's roles take up some of those I don't see how important DiMarco really is.

I know he's a McDermott favorite and mainly plays ST but it wouldn't surprise me to see them move on from him.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, berg1029 said:

McDermott sees DiMarco as one of the leaders for the offense.  You could see it in that series of "embedded" videos that they released during preseason last year.  How much McD values his leadership role, I really don't know.  Maybe they figure that with Allen stepping into that offensive leadership role, DiMarco's leadership becomes less important and they are willing to release him

not sure how or why? Rarely plays and doesn't do anything when he does

5 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Fisher will be a huge target for Josh Allen.  He will have an impact this season.  Expect about 40 receptions this season

Any chance you have an open spot in your fantasy football league?

• Haha (+1) 4